Gold Plating a Baili BT131

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by MrEE, Sep 22, 2019.

1. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Much better luck today but needed to cover the disappointing results on Thursday.

The alkali and electro cleaning step is exactly the same as aboves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nickel plating in krohn bright nickel electrolyte. I've done this many times but never with a zinc plated item.

Room temperature
    Nickel Anode
    2.4 VDC
    5 minutes

[​IMG]

You can see the plating didn't adhere to the top pieces. As mentioned earlier I think the zinc was exposed. The electrolyte turned cloudy so I am hoping I didn't contaminate it. May need to plate some brass to see if I get zinc deposits. Its possible this experiment finished off my well used electrolyte.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  2. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Second sacrifical razor is here.

[​IMG]

I stripped the razor and plated over the original nickel. There really isnt a need to clean and activate the part between these steps. I did that before as a test. I won't be stripping chrome off very often.

The gold bath is only 45 seconds so I don't hang the part in the bath. Makes it hard to take pictures. But you can see the bath in this photo.

[​IMG]

18k gold electrolyte
    140 deg F
    3.5 VDC
    Platinumized titanium anode
    45 seconds.

[​IMG]

The plate is thin. Not going to plate this thick. I proved I can do it and thicker plating just wastes gold. I will plate my next razor a lot thicker.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  3. brit

brit in a box

looks awesome..

MrEE likes this.
  4. Barba Roja

Barba Roja New Member

MrEE

Thank you for sharing your work in electroplating.!!

I have started to look for Guillette razor here in Argentina , and it difficult to find machines in good shape for reasonable price.

All this this information regarding restoring the Niquel and golden plantings is very usefull to give a second opportunity to more than one machine, that otherwise would go to the bin..

I would like to know if the original golden Guillette techs , where golden plated or not??

FlightMedic likes this.