Old men - questions about past shaving...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by chrisf8657, Jul 27, 2020.

1. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

I know there are alot of older folks here, and I have a question.

When you worked in the 50-60-70's...and you shaved, did you do a single pass shave, double, triple, every day, every other day, etc.?

I have sensitive skin, I can do a single pass everyday and be OK but it's still a bit irritating, or do every 2 days WTG/ATG...but I'd have to wait to do a full WTG/ATG/XTG for BBS because a DE razor irritates me too much compared to a cartridge razor, but I prefer to stick with DE because of the value.

Thanks!

steve207, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I've spent the majority of my adult life in one uniform or another, so shaving every day was a must. Early in those days, I just did a single pass, usually with a disposable or cartridge razor. My *serious* wet-shaving didn't come until later, some five years ago or so, and began using a variety of vintage DE razors with a variety of brushes/soaps and creams. Now that I'm retired, I shave every other day, with a Surrey brush and Williams soap. My skin is also fairly sensitive, so I use Nivea Sensitive ASB (been using it for about 3 years now). I don't really "chase the baby" (a BBS) due to the fact that if I do, there's a good chance I'll irritate my skin more than necessary. My whiskers grow cross-ways around my Adam's apple, so extra care is needed.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I was going to ask what razor are you using but it is in your signature. Trying a milder razor won't help in that case. Try not using as much pressure and see first if your shave is still as close as it was before with a 1 pass WTG shave. If it is then try the same doing a ATG/XTG with a WTG 3 pass shave. See if that helps first. Also try cold water instead if warm. I don't mean ice cold but whatever temp the water is coming out of the tap. Another thing to try is use distilled or filtered water to shave with.

One thing that does work for irritated skin afterwards is vinegar. It works on the same principle as soothing sunburn and is also good for the skin. Just use sparingly, it can and will burn on the initial application but will mellow out quickly afterwards.

4. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I haven't used the Slim in ages...I now swap out between a '40 Milord and a recently acquired British Tech, a lovely bit o' kit. I used a BiC chrome platinum blade this morning, with wonderous results (the soap was a sample I received with the razor, Shannon's Soap Barbershop). Water is at a premium here in the desert, so filtered is used for drinking & coffee exclusively (when it's available...it sells out rather quickly); I try to keep well-stocked on it. Small town, and folks get to panic-buying rather easily.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I started shaving about 1965. I used a Schick L and canned shaving cream. I only did one pass. I continued this practice until I grew a beard in 1975. I never did multi passes until I returned to wet shaving in 2011. I started with three passes, but I have since settled on two passes and only cold water. I use straights, SE, injectors, and DE razors (I have in excess of 100). My shave is the highlight of my day. I am turning 73 this year, and I am starting to pass on more of my razors and stuff.