The Gillette Slant Pass Back Thread

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Jul 26, 2020.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

So is it a keeper for you? Is it your best sub $30 razor?

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Keeper. Some stiff competition even in the $30 range excluding vintage. Will have to do a side by side with the Fatip.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN, brit and twhite like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I saw your comparison review on B&B. I was surprised that you found the Lo Storto was the "milder" razor between the two, based on observations between the Valencia and the Lo Storto.

You shimmed both razors. What effect do the shims have?

Edit: I'm glad they at least don't feel the same. That would be disappointing. :)

brit likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Milder as opposed to less efficient yes. Meaning just less blade feel and easier to zip around. It may indeed have more exposure than the Gillette but it doesn't feel like it. Indeed given it's bitten me on the back of my head a couple times due to overdoing pressure it would seem that's the case. Perhaps it's just that much more rigid or just a feel that is limited to the ATG pass on my head.

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

I'm in. Just have to dig out the thick cap ball end Old Type I have sitting in storage.

I suppose that annealing the head would be a good thing, so I'm planning on doing that. PM to follow!

brit, PLANofMAN and twhite like this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Another thought in the Gillette v Fatip comparo..I don't tighten either razor very tight and it certainly does impact exposure, perhaps more on the Gillette than the Fatip. You can hear the blade bending on the Gillette as you tighten, I don't hear anything from the Fatip. I very well may have tightened the Gillette less than the Fatip.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    [​IMG]
    A quick update. I've done 11 Gillette and other slants so far. I've also ordered the remaining stock of NOS Leresche 901 razors to be slanted.

These were the equivalent of the Gillette brownie old types, so these are bottom of the barrel razors (as far as quality), unbranded, to be sold under other brand names. To put it into perspective, the Gillette "Brownie" cased old type was sold for $0.79. These don't even come with cases.

Handle is metal, probably steel. Baseplate is aluminum, and the top cap is nickel plated brass.

There will be 6 of these available. Price to be determined based on overall quality and some other factors.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Terry, jmudrick and brit like this.
  8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Oh my!
    looky looky! I want one .... or two.
    What kinda razors can you do other than what you said not to use?
    I have a few that are in my "what am I gonna do with this razor" pile.
    let me know if you have the time please.
    Thanks!!
    tp

9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    From a practical standpoint, any brass or similar soft metal razor designed for gillette style DE blades, using a curved baseplate and a top cap without blade tabs. Baseplate must be separate from the handle.

Razor must be able to function if the centering posts/tabs are slightly canted. This excludes any razor with a bar and slot blade centering device, e.g. Techs.

The best razor to use, imo, is a German open comb 4 piece travel razor, made from the 1930's - 1960's, followed by the Gillette old type thin cap razors (1914-1920) and the Gillette old type thick cap razors (1921-1928).

The rest of the best candidates will be 1930's-1960's various French, German, Soviet and American brass old type copies. If the razor has a flat slot running the length of the top cap, the top cap is made of zinc and is not suitable (e.g. merker 1904 and razorock clone). (Edit: the Fatip caps have this slot, but are made of brass. However the blade centering "bullets" are fatter than most non-Fatip three hole baseplates will accept).

If looking for a closed comb razor, the French style with the corrugated cardboard pattern of "teeth" might be suitable, see Leresche #77 razors for examples of this type of baseplate. Most of these have a Zamak top cap.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Terry and brit like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I suppose the original Fatip open and closed comb would be a candidate as well, though anyone wanting that slanted would be better advised to buy the Lo Storto, as I imagine Fatip's slanting jig was designed specifically for those razors, just as mine was designed specifically for the Gillette Old Type. I'm not opposed to slanting one, I just don't see the point, since the Lo Storto is by all accounts one of the best razors Fatip has ever made.

Terry and brit like this.
  11. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks!
    Put me on the list for one please.
    If you have any to spare.
    tp

12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I actually ordered 8, but two were already spoken for.

1. @twhite
    2. @Tanuki
    3. @Terry
    4. ?
    5. ?
    6. ?
    7. ?
    8. ?

Added you to the list. Because these are shipping from La Belle France, and because I just ordered them yesterday, it's going to take at least a month for them to arrive in the States.

brit, twhite and Terry like this.
  13. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks!

tp

14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thank you Ryan

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    @Terry they will be $20 + shipping. They are NOS, but they are also cheap razors, and look it.

I've got to wait a bit before I slant them. I modified the jig for a "secret" razor slant project (which was successful, and will be revealed to the world soon). But it made the die not work so well on old types anymore, so the original die will need to be remade one last time.

Looking at a couple weeks before I'm back up and running.

Terry, Jim99 and brit like this.
  16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Ok...
    No issue here.
    Just pm me and I'll go with it.
    Good stuff!

tp

PLANofMAN likes this.
  17. Mike G

Mike G New Member

Just joined here. Are you still doing this? I'm dying to find a Valencia...I bot one in France (my sister in law is going -will pu in Sept) but I suspect it is a Valencia handle only...poor pix, not sure its a slant but cheap enuf. It might be a Laresche- in a Valencia box All posts here are 2 yrs old, so unless those B&B police took you away, hoping you are still at this. I've got some 40's and newer tech's but I'd prefer a heavier handle, maybe a single ring? Please advise

18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I'm still around, and I still do it. Send me a PM and we'll chat.

Edit: I still do the service. The pass-around is long over.

brit likes this.