Suggest to me a MILD SAFETY RAZOR (i only have 1 i can use so far)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tazorac, Aug 15, 2020.

1. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

As of now, I've acquired about 12 safety razors, the bad part is I CAN ONLY USE 1, because the rest irritate my sensitive skin. I've noticed all of the safety razors I can't use have a heavier weight then my lightweight Feather Double Edge Razor.

I don't want to waste my money and pay 40 bucks for another safety razor that I can't use. I trust you guys, suggest to me a MILD (lightweight handle) that I can use that won't irritate my skin.

This is the only DE i can use

[​IMG]

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I’m sure you’ll get several suggestions. Here’s a few.

Gillette Ball End Tech

Gillette Knack

Schick Krona

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have to ask. To what aspect of the safety razor do you attribute the irritation?

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'll second getting a Gillette 3pc Tech or Schick Krona. Both are mild, easily obtainable for vintage and come for cheap. On ebay or etsy for example you should be able to get them in the $10 - $20 range with shipping. They can be found sometimes even cheaper if you happen upon one at a junk shop.

5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

For modern try a Van Der Hagen razor which you can buy at Walmart. That will run you in the $15 to $20 range.

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I have one and it isn't the handle that makes it mild it is combination of the exposure and blade gap.

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

MR41 likes this.
  8. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I'm a Rockwell convert. I was using Techs, Slims, Black Beauties, FatBoys and depending on the blade and any adjustments (if any), I had a lot of difficulty at first. I had to practice _a_lot_ at first. Techs were, by far, the easiest to use and gave me the most comfortable shave out of that lot. Setting the adjustables down to 2 or 3 just left too much stubble after the second pass; setting them to 5 or higher gave me red face; 4 seemed to work OK. I got a Rockwell 6S and that seemed to solve all of it for me. Aggressive enough that I get a very clean 2-pass shave and leaves my face with no alum sting or even a mild tingle. You might try one if you haven't. If you can't see your way to paying the money for a 6S, then look at the 6C. It shaves just the same.

Enrico likes this.
  9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'd suggest taking one of the 12 DE razors you have, putting the rest of them away for awhile, and doing a 30 Day Focus with it. The guys here stand ready and willing to help you refine your technique.

I went from experiencing irritating 4 pass shaves that weren't very close to two-passers (with any of my DE razors) that are nearly always close and comfortable. It took awhile for me to improve my technique, but it was worthwhile. Even after a few years, I continue to learn new things from my friends here that help me improve my technique. Occasionally, I get to help someone else. For me, this is more fun than buying more gear or chasing the latest new thing.

I always thought my skin was sensitive (nobody's skin is a match for razor-sharp stainless steel :)) , but I've been enjoying almost daily shaves the last 3 months or so with a Gillette Slim on its most aggressive setting.

I'm guessing spending more money won't solve your problem. :)

10. Primotenore

Article Team
    :signs011:
    Which is why I posted what I did in #3. No response, unfortunately. I happen to agree with Charlie, the fault lies NOT with your razor.

Edison Carter and wristwatchb like this.
  11. DIRVING79

DIRVING79 Well-Known Member

This has also been my rule of thumb as well. Good prep and appropriate pressure. Also understanding the growth pattern of your beard ;)

12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I agree. Pick a razor and learn to use it.

Primotenore and wristwatchb like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The Trac II in your avatar is pretty mild.

14. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Yes!
    Best answer so far!
    tp

15. Primotenore

Article Team
    Crickets...

brit likes this.
  16. Primotenore

Article Team

brit likes this.
  17. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

If your into vintage razors maybe get a Gillette Blue Tip. That's an everyday razor for me.

18. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I'd also second that, the blue tip Gillette Super Speed razors are some of the mildest ones out there.

myles wilson and MR41 like this.
  20. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

Guys thanks for the suggestions, I've decided as someone said that I use to get familiar with the safety razors I have.

I'll play around with a few for maybe 2-4 weeks and if they don't work i'll buy one of the razors suggested.