tourqued Pass around. New slant razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Us Jims and Jeffs sure are a well groomed bunch of fellas!
    :shaver

Karl G and twhite like this.
  2. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

My shave today with Tom’s Torqued razor went surprisingly well. I made two changes. So it’s hard to identify which contributed, perhaps both. I loaded a feather blade and mounted the head on a heavier bulldog handle. My straight razor face shave didn’t go as smoothly as usual as I was using a Kai Captain Kamisori clone with a duller blade than usual (a Feather Proguard as opposed to a Feather Super), and didn’t achieve the level of closeness that I’m accustomed to with my regular western straights. The Torqued razor felt better in hand with the slightly heavier handle and delivered a VBBS cleanup to my face. Unlike yesterday, my head shave went better (no blood) and I was able to put the baby to bed on my noggin. I’ve enjoyed using Tom’s new design, but freely admit that I am not a slant proponent, and so will be sending the razor on it’s way this Monday after one more shave.

F0C80658-6441-4654-9B74-50B4BBA68CDE.jpeg

Droo78, Jim99, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I'm in line For the rabbit printed razor.
    But I love slants, and would love to try this out.
    If I can, please put me on the list.
    Thanks!

tp

Karl G and Jim99 like this.
  4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Jim99 and Terry like this.
  5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

In I hope you enjoy.

6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Jim99 and twhite like this.
  7. jgreenepa

Knowing how important weight is to my shaves, I kept everything the same as yesterday with the exception of the handle. I swapped back in the original handle in the Torqued Razor. I also swapped a Feather Super Blade into the Kai Kamisori and ended up with another VBBS all around shave. In fact the face shave was a complete VBBS today with the reequipped Kai Kamisori Clone requiring no safety razor cleanup. The Torqued razor delivered a VBBS dome shave albeit with two nicks in the same place in the back of the noggin as occurred with my first shave. Despite the nicks, which weren’t as severe as my first shave with the razor, it was a great shave. I believe Tom has crafted another superb razor that should be of real interest to slant fans. Unfortunately I’m not one, I’ll be sanitizing and emailing the razor Priority tomorrow on to @Jim99.

3E915956-9FE8-4CC5-93E8-45216E954143.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    Jim99, PLANofMAN, twhite and 3 others like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Third shave with the Tourqued alternate cap. Shimmed, with a feather, and a slightly heavier handle.

Finally got a acceptable shave from this bad boy. The closeness of the shave was right where I wanted it for stubble clearance. It's not the smoothest shave, a fact I was reminded of as I did my second and final pass with a German old type slant, which after the Tourqued, is the lightest razor in my den.

I think most of my issues with this razor are due to a lack of weight, not any deficiencies in the design itself.

Jim99, twhite and jmudrick like this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Well maybe I will make a brass one in the future. I have a few other projects brewing right now.

10. jgreenepa

Razor is in the mail today (Tuesday). Sent Priority to Jim99 with a tracking number provided to him via PM. They closed our local P.O, early on Monday, so I missed the mail. Got it off today! Thanks, Tom, for the opportunity to participate!

Jim99 and Droo78 like this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Thanks! I’m really looking forward to it! I’ll report once it arrives.

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The Torqued has arrived! I’ll be torqued up for tomorrow’s shave and will report all the gorey details.

:shaver

twhite, jmudrick and Droo78 like this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Let me start by saying that my wife is in love with Tom because he’s such a genius and can make his own razors... unlike me! Tom, lucky for you being on the west coast.

I had my first shave this morning with the Torqued and what a pleasant shave it was. I was a bit worried at first that I would not get the angle right, but this razor seems to be forgiving and works at most any reasonable angle. I used a Personna lab blue that already had 4 shaves on it and lathered up with some VDH soap (I’m being frugal lately for some unknown reason). I did a two pass shave and had no nicks, no irritation, no tugging, and came up with a solid DFS. Really nice!

The blade exposure and gap give me the sense that this is a mild razor, and the handle is virtually identical to the ? by Tom, with an ideal weight IMO. I’m definitely impressed after one shave. More observations to come.

Tom, thank you for another creation.

4C7F3711-4E32-48A8-AEE0-F8130051DB58.jpeg

14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

It is the same handle. I was feeling a bit lazy that day.

15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Day 2 with the Torqued was another great shave.

This is a stealthy razor for sure. It feels so mild, but don’t let that fool you. Nope. This is a serious tool with the goal of mowing down your whiskers for a BBS in no more than two passes.

Getting the angle right is easy with the Torqued. I just angle it to my face like I would most any DE, and adjust as necessary as I go. I thought the chin and upper lip area would be difficult, but just tweak your angles and this razor will do its job just fine. If your angle is off, the Torqued will warn you with chatter and tugging. That’s the razor telling you to pay attention, and I got told off by it twice this morning while shaving above my lip.

I had just a little hint of burn from the aftershave, but ended up with almost a BBS. Really nice!

I’ve never used a slant razor before yesterday, but I’m enjoying it now! Go, Tom, go!
    09D15444-8C53-4461-B812-83A2583A2363.jpeg

Billyfergie, Karl G, Droo78 and 3 others like this.
  16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

It’s day three with he Torqued and I’m enjoying every minute of it!

This morning’s shave was another smooth and comfortable event. Not as smooth as yesterday’s shave, but I think that’s because the Personna lab blue is now on its 7th shave which is as far as I usually take that blade. I’m still using VDH soap as it provides plenty of slickness for the Torqued. Two passes gives me a DFS+++, without nicks or weepers. Come to think of it, three shaves in and I’ve yet to experience a nick or weeper with this bad boy!

As I have never used a slant razor prior to the Torqued, I have nothing to compare it to. I’m using it like a DE, but getting the angles right for that perfect shave does take a bit of practice. That’s not an obstacle as this razor seems to tolerate a wider range than I expected. Just an interesting observation is that when I took the blade out of the razor this morning, I noticed that the blade split on one of the tabs. I’ve never had that happen before. Whether caused by the razor or luck of the draw, I don’t know. Maybe it was due to the fact I flip the blade every shave (I know, I know, but I do it anyway).

Tom, the Torqued is getting me hooked on slants. I’ve never considered one prior to now, but this is a seriously good razor!
    DE611521-FF65-424E-9BCE-780A9AB65FC8.jpeg

17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

You and I have @PLANofMAN to thank for this razor. It was at his suggestion that I try making one.

So glad it is working out for some of you guys.

Billyfergie, Karl G, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That's not how I remember that conversation going.

Me: Tom, have you ever thought about making a slant razor?
    You: Yep.
    *two days later*
    You: announces Tourqued razor, starts passaround. Blames me.

Billyfergie, Droo78, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

You are correct. I lied:scared003:
    You just gave me the spark to try again. :yoda

20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Day 4 with the Torqued, and another enjoyable shave!

I loaded it up with a fresh GSB to see how the Torqued would do. My neck has a couple of trouble spots as the hair growth kind of swirls there. I could be going WTG and ATG at the same time. No problems for the Torqued, and all was clear with two passes. The shave was close to a BBS, but I never like to push it. I’ll call it a DFS +++ for today.

My overall impression of this razor is that it’s smooth, maneuverable, efficient, and fun! Aggressiveness? Nope.

I’m really enjoying the Torqued, and would recommend it as a “buy” if it were a stock.
    2679361B-EF61-4E1A-B148-11CF37984EBA.jpeg

Billyfergie, Karl G, brit and 3 others like this.