Need help with first DE razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mreeveshp, Aug 31, 2020.

1. mreeveshp

mreeveshp Member

I'm looking at getting my first DE for my birthday from my brother which he says he doesn't want to spend more than 40 maybe 50. I'm looking at the edwin jagger de89, merkur 34c (I really like the look of that one), parker 91r or 99r. And at first I was thinking of 100 derby extra blades since they are supposed to be gentle and I don't grow very thick facial hair but I also need to use this razor for all my grooming since it will be my only one and I'm out of work for who knows how long and if I get a variety pack I won't be able to keep getting more of the ones that work good. I've also thought of 100 pack of shark blades since they are a little more aggressive. I have used DE razors in the past every time I went and stayed at my grandfather's in florida and one of the guys I worked fire and rescue with quite a few years ago, I just don't know what they used and sadly I can't ask them.

What would you all recommend that I get out of those or any others that I might be able to stay in the budget, I do have rosacea that goes across my forehead and runs down my left cheek about straight down from my sideburns that can get sensitive on that cheek, and I have got ingrown hairs but that was only when I would go against the grain instead of sideways with multi blade cartridge razors, but otherwise I have between mild and medium skin on my face.

Thanks
    Mreeveshp

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Personally, from that list I would go with the 34C. I'd go with Voskhod or Astra SS blades, but you'll get 100 different votes from 80 different people on here.

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011: ...... I've own and used both Edwin Jagger DE89 and the Merkur 34C ...... still own and enjoy the Merkur 34C. The fit, finish and shaves are beautiful.

BTW I held out 7 years before I bought one ..... Now I wonder why I waited?

My choices of blades .....

Astras
    Nacets
    Permasharps
    Gillette Silver Blues

They can found in 100 packs very reasonable on ebay ~$13

Really I find it's not just how sharp a blade is, but how smooth they are.

:happy088:

4. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

Edison Carter and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I started with a Merkur 34c HD and 100 pack of Shark Super Chrome blades. I prefer Gillette Silver Blue blades when I use a DE. I think the DE 89 or clones would also be a great razor to start the journey as well. Take your time, learn to use it well and you will be rewarded with comfortable shaves.

6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I don't think you'd be going wrong with either the 34C or the DE89. Both are fine for a beginner or seasoned shaver.

Blades are such a varied thing. A blade that one person loves will have 7 different people hate it and vice versa. You're just going to go through a sampler OR grab a 100 and just get used to them. Its not like you'll have an allergic reaction to them and they can all be learned. In reality, you will probably have a few weeks of sub-optimal comfort until you get your technique/pressure worked out. Stick with it and you'll be fine. For me, a multitude of blades worked in both of those razors too so you should be ok there as well.

Let us know how it goes and what you wind up with!

7. mreeveshp

mreeveshp Member

I'm debating between shark or one of the Astras since they keep the budget that my brother normally spends to $40 with either the DE89 or the one I like better the 34c, the only thing that worries me with the astras is if they are too aggressive when shaving other than my face around delicate areas

8. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I would go along with recommending this setup as well. The 34c is well built and mild, and Voskhod blades have always treated me well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Merely my experience and opinion only ..... I find Sharks quality to be hit and miss. Meaning sometimes I find them smooth and other times they feel as rough as glass.

My experience with Astras have always been very nice.

BTW the blades is (if made properly) should be equally sharp. The razor itself can make that blade feel more or less aggressive. This is by its exposure and angle.

The razor introduces the blade to the hair to be cut.

:cool:

10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Well, the blades don't control the aggression, the razor and your pressure does. Blades are either smooth for a particular face or they aren't. Aggression lies with the razor.

11. mreeveshp

mreeveshp Member

I think I'm going to ask him for the 34c and the astra ss since they are cheaper than the superior platinum and since no one has brought up the superior platinum, I also just saw a video reviewing different blades and it talked about the shark quality control. I've watched so many videos over the past 2-3 weeks, a lot raved about some others but they were more than $10 for a hundred and like I said in an earlier post I want to keep it closer to $40 or at least not go over $50.

I already have a couple boar hair brushes and shave mug with a few pucks of van der Hagen premium that I have been using for a couple years and have a couple unopened pucks and a mug shave soap unopened. Eventually I will get some other soaps and things that I really want to try but right now I'm just trying to get the things I absolutely need.

12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

To be quite honest I've only used the Astra SP, but I do have some Astra SS ..... I have to try them out tomorrow. I'm sure they're just as excellent.

:)

13. mreeveshp

mreeveshp Member

I would like to know since the SS are $8 and SP is over $12

brit and Enrico like this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'll let you know BTW you can get SP for $9.

15. mreeveshp

mreeveshp Member

Oh I couldn't find it in a short look on Amazon cause I know he won't order from Ebay so I'm trying to keep everything to Amazon, I'll have to look more

Thanks
    mreeveshp

Enrico likes this.
  16. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

:signs046:

In my opinion- get the 34c and a pack of Astra SP blades. It’ll be hard to go wrong. There is a great deal on Amazon right now for a 100pk of Astras for $6.99. I’m happy for you. I remember getting my first setup for my birthday!

17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Astra SP's are almost always purchased directly from Amazon rather than eBay.

The razor I would recommend is a vintage 60's era super speed.

MacDaDad, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  18. mreeveshp

mreeveshp Member

I can't find the SP blades at that price can you send a link and I'm also trying to find the absolute best deal on the 34c, I did find the SS blades for 6.99 for 100 ct

Thanks
    mreeveshp

Edison Carter likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

the ss are a decent blade..i like both..:)

20. mreeveshp

mreeveshp Member

I have found those for $7 on amazon so if I can't find the SP I will go with the SS, all the reviews on them are great. So I'm not forgetting about them, I'm trying to find the 34c for under $40 too since I don't have much of a budget.

Thanks
    mreeveshp

brit likes this.