TSD Challenge: the humble Travel Tech. Identify production date codes

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, May 20, 2016.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've read that the older style embossed logo was used on brass caps, and the newer style embossing was done on the zinc caps. I'm not sure if that's actually true or not, which is why that info hasn't made it into my other thread yet.

jimjo1031 and Spyder like this.
  2. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I could well be wrong - it wouldn't be the first time! - but I thought there were three styles of Travel Techs...

The first had brass caps and the etched logo as in the photo from @jmaier...

[​IMG]

The second and third had the zamak cap with the sloped ends, but with the two different styles of embossed logo, as in the photo from @Spyder with the older logo on the right...

[​IMG]

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I don't remember which ones, but I've also read somewhere the same thing about style change when using zinc caps.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

These are my travel Techs. Both pictures from left to right, J3 and R2.
    unspecified (13).jpg
    unspecified (14).jpg

5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    That's the nice thing about travel techs. It's still possible to find NOS sets for under $20. Probably the only Gillette razor a person can still do that with.
    s-l400 (1).jpg
    ^^^ Here is a better picture of the older style embossing.

brit, Spyder and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. jimjo1031

I agree because I got these a couple of years ago when I first started collecting razors. They were each around $12.00 shipped. But I've noticed that they are slowly creeping up in price from some sellers.

PLANofMAN, Spyder and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    B1, 1955
    [​IMG]

H2, 1962
    [​IMG]

J4, 1964
    [​IMG]

T3, 1977
    [​IMG]

8. brit

brit in a box

the one i sold had the early 50s frosted brass cap.

PLANofMAN and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    B1? That is a very early date code. Possible frankenrazor, or was it sold in a set?

brit likes this.
  10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I've got a
    gold ndc gillette logo etched on cap
    Silver (d1) gillette logo etched on cap
    Black coated so no way to see
    A bitty (t4) bold block letters on cap

11. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

SMH, I must of misread a post on another forum. I thought the "frosted" caps we're zamak as well. I thought that was odd so I've avoided them.

brit likes this.
  12. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

I have my Grimes of New York Shave-Pak logged as 1951 but I no longer recall where I got that date. The razor itself lacks a date code.
    It's a fine little shaver. I've used this kit in many a hotel bathroom (sans the brush using an Omega mighty midget).
    Tech1.jpg Tech 2.jpg Tech3.jpg

brit likes this.
  13. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

Reviving an old thread. Looks like I acquired one of these too :). $10 at an antique store.
    Question, it has some pitting on the handle and lower half of the head.
    Any easy way to clean that off? Also, would it be heresy to sand blast and powder coat this? Haha.
    I plan on making a new carrying case for it, since I’m really not fond of the plastic case it came with

Attached Files:

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  14. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

The head on yours is the final revision which was sold from the early '60s into at least the '80s.

As for heretical thoughts... To be honest, except for a few unusual British Techs such as the Raised Flat Bottom Tech, the 3-piece Tech is common enough that no one is going to fault you for powder coat, cerakote, or any other deviation from plated metal. (Heck, I have two baseplates that I spray painted and nobody even blinked.) One thing to mention, the head of your razor is nickel-plated Zamac (i.e., Zinc). I don't know if that would affect how you go about preparing the razor for powder coating.

Pilotcld and brit like this.
  15. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

Thanks! Would that be both halves of the head? Or just the top half? I don’t mind keeping that how it is. I was just researching what Zamac was and google mentioned powder-coating And my dad has a sweet setup for powder-coating :) thanks for the great info!

brit likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Flitz polish might help smooth out the pitting.

Absolutely no one in the world is going to care what you do to a tech, let alone a travel tech. Hell, I turn Gillette old types and single rings into slants, and that barely upsets anyone.

brit and Pilotcld like this.