Ingrown hairs or razor bumps new to buzzcuts

Discussion in 'Head shaving' started by NickD4388, Sep 5, 2020.

1. NickD4388

NickD4388 New Member

So I ended up starting an smp treatment. I never shaved my head/buzzed it until now. The length I'm going for is a half or the t trimmer size. My skin is sensitive or I messed up but my whole head is covered with the bumps and I'm freaking out idk what to do or what to use. Soaps/lotions/buzzers please help me. I tried using cetaphil face wash on my head then gold dial antibacterial soap. Idk how to fix this. Do I use something with alcohol even though my skin is sensitive? Witch hazel? Any input would help especially from
    Someone with this problem. I also don’t know if I’m suppose to buzz after a shower or before.

Attached Files:

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you shaved your head, I would say you have ingrown hairs. If you just trimmed it at the clipper head setting, that shouldn't be an issue.

I would stop using soap on your head. Even though the hair isn't protruding, it's still there, which means your glands still make oil for it. Soap strips that oil away, which can cause the oil glands to go into overdrive; and that could cause an acne breakout. Maybe switch back to shampoo and see if that makes a difference?

It's easier to buzz before a shower. Makes the clean up process easier too.

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Need to get some actual head shavers in here to give you some better answers...
    @jmudrick

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'll only say what works for me is shave before shower, one ATG pass with pick-ups. No soap ever except after weekend mud wrestling. Post shave homemade oil.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

5. NickD4388

NickD4388 New Member

See I hear differently everywhere I’m just not sure what I should be doing but the clippers I use take it down quite a bit. It’s possible that maybe I over washed my head with soap? Idk what steps to take now though. I also don’t know what the best routine for buzzing my head would be. I figured buzzing the hair after a hot shower would make it easier? Yet idk

6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

It is possible that the bumps are due to the clipper blades being dirty or not sterilised and or not sharp enough. The dirty part can be solved with a good dip of the blades in rubbing alcohol . There are also spray products you can buy that barbers use.

A product you might try on your noggin is called Tend Skin which is for razor bumps and you use it like an aftershave. But do not use if you are allergic to aspirin.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    PLANofMAN likes this.
  7. dvdhviid

dvdhviid Well-Known Member

I head shave daily. This commentary applies to head shavers but short buzzcuts or occasional shavers too.

If I use too aggressive a razor, I get either some irritation or razor bumps, which are probably ingrown hairs in actuality. Then if you keep going next day over that again it's a bloody mess.
    As I started out, I moved more and more to aggressive razors. Now I look for the best balance of smoothness/efficiency FOR ME. Technique level aside, some skin types are tougher than others and even then change over time. You may need to find the right balance of aggressive and smooth. Efficiency correlates but not directly with aggressiveness/smooth ie FEEL.
    For me bad aggression is usually too much blade feel, scrape-iness.

If you are using an electric shaver, some are better than others. My ARC5 ($$$$$) can shave blade smooth with little irritation. My Andis ($$) gets just as smooth, but I could not use it daily, at least not comfortably. Rotary razors, acceptable but not great shaves, but often less irritating.

Keep in mind once you have irritation, you have to go easy till it's gone, or you just continually re-irritate it.

One last point, are your towels and cloths, blades, trimmers etc clean and bacteria free?
    That also goes for anything going on your head, even old lotions.
    The irritation of a shave/buzz can easily pick up staph infections from whatever and make it a rash that look like razor bumps or worse like hamburger for quite a while.
    Binder, dundat.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020