Soaps that don't get enough love. What's yours?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by SharptoothC, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I'm also in the position of having too many to give any one the love that it really deserves. Stirling soaps collectively get plenty of love, but not any one individual scent.

2. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Thanks for the info. I bought mine from our local Earth Fare, which just closed. Hoping our local Sprouts market will carry it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Frijolero likes this.
  3. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

+1 for Dr. Jon's
    The soaps perform very well and have many ingredients that my skin loves, such as sea buckthorn.

4. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I used to use Arko so much but these days it’s rare that I reach for it. I definitely owe myself some more shaves with it because it’s so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Had to revisit this thread. Used the first soap I purchased for wet shaving for my shave today. Got it three years ago as it was on the shelf and convenient. I havent used it in at least a year. Still smells great and made a fine lather for de shaving with the mild Schick with a Wilkinson Sword blade. It will now be a regular use soap. I'm happy to finally giving it its deserved love lol.

Angelo85, Paul Turner and Frijolero like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

need to use my shave sticks and hard soaps more..

7. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Which soap would that be?

(On the shelf...Van Der Hagen?)

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I stocked up on VDH when I first started DE shaving, but quickly moved on to other soaps. I decided to give VDH another whirl recently and I’m working through a puck right now. It’s not a bad soap at all! It’s not the slickest or best lathering, but it’s certainly good enough for my straight razor shaves. I’ll be sure to give VDH a little more love now.

9. Ijustmissedthe50s

Lol...ooops... forgot the pic! Yep...Van Der Hagen! The green and black box. Fantastic guess btw! Probably a lot of us did the same lol.

Jim99 and Frijolero like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

For me, I would say that a soap that doesn't get much love is a soap that gathers liquid around the middle of it. It happened with my Razorocks Aqua Shave Soap, and now with the Central Texas Soaps Grandpa's Barbershop. My conclusion is it's a soap that hasn't been used in a long time. Whatever, the liquid in the middle bothers me a bit. I got a great shave with the CTS this morning(in general, I should say), but I kinda hope this doesn't have to my other soaps that haven't seen action lately.

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It took a long time, but I am pretty slim right now regarding soaps. I have a puck of MWF and Stirling Orange Chill in use and a puck of Electric Sheep for when I finish off the MWF. There are a few sticks of Arko for travel but I am happy not having 10 years of product anymore.

12. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Though Cella gets plenty of love around here, one soap that is about equal but not much talked about is a kilo Vito's, I got the red kilo about 2 weeks ago and about the only difference I find with Cella is that Vito's kilo is a bit firmer brick and the Almond scent is a bit stronger. Otherwise I find both soaps fantastic and using either or both is a treat.

Daywalker and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  13. Ijustmissedthe50s

Do you know what, if any, difference there is between the red and the green?

14. brit

brit in a box

Grandstaff spicy vetiver..

15. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I've read that Green graduated to Red by adding Glycerin then a second Red with Coco oil, all three are great soaps

16. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Today Williams Mug is a real pain in the ass, vintage Williams Mug is the holy grail.

brit and Tallships like this.
  17. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I've never had a chance to try vintage Williams, but I've kind of taken a liking to the modern version.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I was going through my "stuff" and found a stick of De Vergulde Hand shaving soap. If I recall correctly, it was from the first "travelling box" I participated in.

It's been about 10 years. Going to revisit it.

theFAT98 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  19. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

It's wonderful stuff. Unfortunately some ingredient in it doesn't like my skin. :(

20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I shaved with it today. Same type of delightful scent as Mitchell's Wool Fat (vanilla, lavender, bergamot, the barbershop trifecta). Compared to MWF, it's a bit on the dry side, post shave.

It lathers a bit better than MWF, but comparing a shave stick to a bowl soap is a bit hard anyways. It's going in my travel bag for sure.

jtspartan, richgem and Angelo85 like this.