New Wedge blade razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Sep 17, 2020.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I have had a thought in the back of my mind for several years now. Wedge blade razors are my favorite safety razors by a fair amount. I have been lucky to find 8 or so different types of wedge razors. Unfortunately almost none of them ever had a salvageable blade. Over the past few years I have accumulated maybe a dozen good blades.

Enter the Rolls Razor. A wedge on a stick as some call it. These are very plentiful and the wedges are almost always in good shape. The problem with the Rolls blade. It is much thicker than the normal wedge. So they do not fit any safety razor that I am aware of.

While checking out Ebay earlier this week. I came across a Fox wedge safety razor. It really caught my interest. So I was able to find the patent for it. So a few hours of reverse engineering and adaptation. I arrived at The New Fox. A wedge blade safety razor that takes the relatively easy to find Rolls razor. It will be all brass. Fully machined unfortunately. I would have liked to make it stamped or formed sheet brass. Machining is much faster for a prototype.

I am mostly done machining the first prototype. Tomorrow I should have it complete. I will post real pictures then. Anyhow here are a few of the inception creations. There are a few variations to these compared to the prototype. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GAW9576, Hembree, Droo78 and 17 others like this.
  2. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Very interesting to say the least. And I have 2 Rolls with fine looking blades too

GAW9576, Hembree, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  3. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Nice Creation Tom..Those Rolls Sheffield Blades are a Full Hollow Ground Blade..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

GAW9576, Hembree, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

A few in process pictures.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

GAW9576, Hembree, Droo78 and 8 others like this.
  5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

All cut
    [​IMG][​IMG]

GAW9576, Hembree, Droo78 and 10 others like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :eatdrink013:

7. DIRVING79

DIRVING79 Well-Known Member

Very cool and I definitely think fox when I see it upload_2020-9-18_13-55-58.gif

GAW9576, Hembree, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

The Fox is a clever design. I am glad you see the resemblance.

9. DIRVING79

All you’re missing is the fancy scrollwork on the sides of the head.... hahahaha.

I’m glad you came up with something for a rolls blade; I had the thought a while back but I’m not the most hands on person :)

10. DIRVING79

Also put me down for one. I’m into it.

GAW9576, Hembree, twhite and 2 others like this.
  11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Ok. Here are a few pictures. With the handle removed. That exposes a screw that pushes up on the pivot plate. This supports the blade. At the front where it pivots, the blade rests there. Keeping a constant blade gap. When you dial the screw up. It pushes the back of the pivot higher. Decreasing the gap for the blade to fit. By doing this. It restricts how far the blade can move forward.

Hence the adjustability. The pivot is designed to have some spring to it. This along with the back securing screw locks the blade into position. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

A few more pictures. I will be honing my 2 blades up this weekend for the maiden shave Sunday evening.

One picture I am trying to show the balance point. Also the weight with blade and s few other angles.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    One more. Size comparison to a Kampfe 1896
    [​IMG]

Daytonkb, GAW9576, Hembree and 11 others like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

awesome..Mr. Tom..:)

GAW9576, Hembree, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Tom, @twhite, this is all very interesting and exciting at the same time. It makes me want to move out to Burbank and look over your shoulder.

15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I will move out to you. Kali is burning to the ground. I need some piece of mind.

GAW9576, Hembree, Droo78 and 4 others like this.
  16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

You are a master Tom.

Herm

17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Oh, yeah, I forgot. I'll wait till the smoke clears.

18. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    GAW9576, Hembree, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Unbelievable! This is awesome!

:happy096: