Recommend a safety razor from Amazon for 1st timer

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by NormanB616, Sep 16, 2020.

1. NormanB616

NormanB616 New Member

Hi all-

I'm an Amazon Prime customer, so I'm looking to make my first safety razor purchase there.

There are sooooo many safety razors and frankly, very few of them have bad reviews.

Is there one there that you use and would recommend?

A link would be appreciated!

Thank you very much in advance.

-Norman

2. brit

brit in a box

have you shaved before?,cartridge razor user?looking for a new or better way?

Jim99 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  3. NormanB616

NormanB616 New Member

I have been using Dorco multi-blade carts for several years. My only complaint about those was that they clogged so easily.

Looking to try something different. I'm currently using up some cheap random disposables to get me through and they give a crappy shave.

Enrico, Jim99, brit and 1 other person like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

there are many avenues to choose.i used to use gillette mach 3 for years.i currently use older gillette double edge razors.blades are cheap and they give fantastic shaves,they also have a learning curve..there is lots of info to choose from,here and other resources..i would search the web and research the options available and their pros and cons.with an idea where to go forward,info here can be more helpful..:)

Jim99 likes this.
  5. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Pick a razor that appeals to you and use that exclusively. That’s kind of the route I went. Learn the tool then get the technique down.

brit and Jim99 like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Merkur 34C

DaltonGang, brit and Jim99 like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Good option. The Merkur 34c is well built, mild, easy to load a blade, and is relatively low in price.

brit likes this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Norman, what beard type do you have? Thick and coarse, light and thin, or somewhere in between? How about your skin? Tender, like leather, or somewhere in between?

9. Smudge

Smudge Member

Merkur 34C or Edwin Jagger DE89.

Enrico likes this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with either the Merkur or the Edwin Jagger. :happy088:

11. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I'm a prime member myself, so I know how unappealing it is to pay for shipping, but I would actually recommend going over to Maggards or Stirling and picking up one of their starter kits. You'll get everything you need to get started the right way, including the razor. The 34c is a highly-regarded razor, but you can get these entire kits, including shipping, for what you would pay for the 34c alone.

https://www.maggardrazors.com/product-category/de-starter-beginner-kit/
    https://www.stirlingsoap.com/collections/starter-kits

12. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

I think my brother uses that Edwin Jaeger DE89 and he likes it. The only current production DE I've ever tried is the cheap Dorco superspeed clone, which is ok. I got it for free from a friend and not long after picked up a couple vintage Gillettes

edit: his is actually the black handled DE86 but I think the head is the same

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  13. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

:signs011:
    tp

14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Some good starter DE razors IMO would be Parker Variant adjustable or Merkur progress adjustable, most folks talk positive most of the time of these two razors. Merkur 34C or Edwin Jaeger DE89 are used by a lot of folks starting out or seasoned users just enjoy them. Adjustable razors are nice dialing in your sweetspot as your hand techinque develops getting use to your new razor IMO.

15. NormanB616

NormanB616 New Member

Coarse beard, Moderate skin.

Thanks for the advice everybody.
    My search continues!

dvdhviid and Enrico like this.
  16. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Once many folks adopt traditional wetshaving, they find themselves in a hobby they like and buy way more stuff than they thought they would.

If you are firm on an Amazon purchase, my recommendation is Parker Variant. It was my entry tool and I have no regrets. $58

Having leveled off with my share of stuff, if I was looking for economy, I found a used Gillette Flair Tip quite intuitive. I like mine and I've seen good used pieces on Etsy for less than $20.

If you asked me to choose just one razor, forsaking all others, it would be the Supply Single Edge, a modern take in the Schick injector style $75. Not in Amazon to my knowledge, but a great tool.

Lots of other good suggestions here, but those are mine.

Whatever you choose stop in at the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread in the Shave School heading. Lots of folks adopted the learning principles to get better shaves.

Enjoy.

17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Here's a novel thought. Since you have never purchased a safety razor, I would NOT spend a lot of money. Therefore, I recommend this:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PKHIDRA/?tag=thshde-20

This is a clone of the Gillette Super-Speed. Learn how to use it. 30 days, every day. Like our friend @Edison Carter said: join us at the 30DC Focus thread:
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/september-30-day-rule-focus-pix-discussion.64607/

Every razor is nothing but a holder for a razor blade---and I always profess, loudly and often: "It's the blade that shaves you, NOT the razor".
    Once you master the technique, you can purchase whatever suits your fancy.

18. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Good suggestions all.

Another choice would be the Van Der Hagen razor you see in many brick and mortar stores. Made by Weishi, it's a mild, unexciting but competent razor. I have one as a travel razor.
    Its strong points are mildness, low price and wide availability. You get to hone your technique with a razor that won't discourage you by cutting your face to ribbons on your first few shaves.

19. clk

clk Member

Lord L6 for 7 dollars. A great razor to test the waters. If you move on to more expensive razors, the L6 makes a great travel razor.

20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I second this suggestion.