Looking for a good shave mug. Any recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Ksblazer, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I have been using my Old Spice shave mug for a few years now and really like using it for leaving a puck of soap in for loading and shaving.

But instead of buying another old spice mug. I was thinking maybe something the same size, but with a different logo or color?

So I'm wondering if anyone that uses or has an Old Spice mug can recommend something similar in size?

It must be able to fit 3" pucks like the Old Spice mug does.

Don't really want to have to press, grate or melt a soap to fit in there. I'll just buy another Old Spice mug if that's the case.

Thanks

Jake Gibson and brit like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Marvy makes a rubber mug.

4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I would at least take a look at Captain's Choice bowls, both his ceramic and his copper ones. I was planning on getting a copper one this month, but we had both the washing machine and dryer quit on us, so my wife and I had more expenses than planned. Hopefully in October I can anticipate a lather bowl arriving. I have heard great things about them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I have a few shaving mugs that are "shaving mugs".
    But I found that what you would call thick short coffee mugs work really well too.
    Not being a mug lather'er, more a face lather'er here.
    I get some good suds from these when I use shaving cream instead of soap.

20200913_100907.jpg
    I found them at yard sales.
    For 50 cents and a buck.

tp

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I use the Ralph Lauren Safari shave mug. I use a 3" regulation hockey puck to raise the soap towards the top a bit, as I don't like the rattling sound the brush makes on the pewter sides of the mug.

They can be a bit pricy these days, since any out there are 20+ years old now.
    vintage-mens-ralph-lauren-pewter_1_59f2315768a2f41f4da641f6a5aa1cd3.jpg
    Here's a partial set in decent shape. (Not mine). It also had a pewter comb and military style hairbrush. The knot on the brush is floppy, but only held in with hot glue, so is easy to remove and replace.

Edit: old Seaforth mugs would work too.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    brit, Ksblazer and Enrico like this.
  8. Ksblazer

That thick short mug on the right is what I'm looking to add.

I'm finding that I like loading my brush in this style of mug and face lather.

Thanks to all who have replied. Been looking on the bay and have found a couple that have caught my interest.

But also curious about that Stirling collapsible they have? Looks to have gotten a bunch of good reviews too.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  9. Ksblazer

When I was looking on the Bay the a Seaforth mug is one that caught my attention. I kinda like those old retro looking mugs.

10. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

The Seaforth mugs are a little smaller on the inside compared to an Old Spice mug.
    You might have to trim some soap pucks a little to fit them in.
    If you’re not concerned about collectibility look for one with a worn or missing label since the stick on Seaforth labels tend to come off with use.
    I’ve seen ones without labels for sale with coffee mugs in Goodwill stores for cheap. Either that or there was once an identical coffee mug sans label.

11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    They are smaller than they appear.

brit, Ksblazer and Enrico like this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Learn to face lather, it is more satisfying, faster, and consistent. Also takes up less counter space.

13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I think everyone knows that. It's all about SOTD photos and being able to use "old stuff."

DaltonGang and brit like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

it can be,i enjoy both..:)

Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Your a Bi-Lathering guy. :shocked003:

:cool:

MR41, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

face lathering williams for 10+ years got really boring..i like to indulge a bit since i found all these new products..:D

Enrico likes this.
  17. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

20200914_200751.jpg
    I'm in the exact same boat, the Grand Turk to be exact I absolutely love my Old Spice mug but I wanted something bigger because I'm quite vigorous with my lather building and I found that most of my lather was ending up outside of my mug. Rockwell had one that was perfect for me, nice and big, ceramic etc. but it was a little pricey for me. I ended up going to the Dollarama dollar store chain and picked up a really nice, sturdy, glass soup mug with a plastic lid and rubber seal for $4!!! I couldn't believe how perfectly it worked out the only hitch is that it doesn't have the raised little speed bumps at the bottom to hold the puck in place but my Williams stays put just fine. I highly recommend checking out dollar stores or even thrift stores kitchen and bath ware section

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy096: Looks like it'll do the job nicely!

:eatdrink047:

Jake Gibson likes this.
  19. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

My first shaving mug when I started shaving was a mug that my mother donated out of her cupboard in '62 It's also surprising what you'll find in a thrift shop.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Enrico and brit like this.
  20. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Still have to load your brush out of something
    My Stirling Spice SS resides in my Old Spice Mug.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.