US Gillette Aristocrat TTO timeline

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Apr 3, 2019.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Great price for both also. If you decide to sell them later on you'll definitely get a little bit more than $5.00 out of either razor.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

To add here are pictures of a 1950 Aristocrat with the V3 date code stamp. I also updated my earlier posts to add these into the information flow where they belong.

v3a.jpg v3b.jpg

3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Information updated with new pictures. 1970 was the last year the Aristocrat brand name was used and the New Aristocrat was sold in 1969 and 1970 in Japan.

brit likes this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

brit likes this.
  5. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

Here is an interesting find from another collector: NOS Aristocrat set with 10 Blue Blades "P4". It comes with a bladebox instead of the blade sleeve and the tray has no Patent info like the 1944/45 Regent Tech. It has endcaps, so I would say it´s from the early 1946:

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I have one of these with the end cap without a case and also had but sold a regent tech not too long ago. I can say for sure using both and comparing the blade gap they are the identical razors. The most likely answer then is they starting putting on the end caps after WWII ended in 1945 and sold off the remaining Regent Tech razors before they did a new run of razors before retooling for the 1946 - 48 Aristocrat razors. This razor still could be an early 46 and not 45 regardless of the blades since they did restart production of the blades in 45 and could be case of an early 46 set with excess blades shipped out from the factory. My research showed that they didn't start selling Aristocrat or Milord razors until 46, no mention during Christmas season of 45 which there should have been if they had selling them. Furthur research may prove me wrong on that.

What we can say for sure is this iteration of the Aristocrat and Regent Tech are the same razor and we can say they most likely never put end caps on the razors in Regent Tech sets and if that style of razor does have end caps it belongs in a late 45/early 46 Aristocrat set.

Good find, I'll update my original post accordingly.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Edison Carter and brit like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Update, original write up on the 46 and up section along with Regent Tech section have been updated to incorporate the above information from @mr-razor

Update 1, 3pc open comb Aristocrat section updated to show a recently discovered transition 2nd variant razor.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    brit likes this.
  8. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

Hello, there was another 48-50 variant.
    winged center bar (no notch), creased bar, new handle (top band knurled).

brit likes this.