Difference between Gillette '52 Superspeed and HD500 Rocket??

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tim Spencer, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I am considering maybe buying a used HD500 Rocket, but the head looks identical to my current '52 Superspeed. I'm wondering if there is a difference, ie, blade curve/angle or other such minor shaving difference. Is it an aggressive razor? Smooth razor?

PLANofMAN, Jim99, jimjo1031 and 3 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

hello Tim.the hd500 is a fair bit heavier a t around 72 g compared to the ss and more efficient with a larger blade exposure,compares to a fatboy at around 5'5-6.very smooth.known as one of gillettes best pre adjustable razors in many circles..

3. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

There is a difference and the HD500 is the smoother and the better razor.

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I also agree with the comments above. Shaves better than a Super Speed. Get it.............

brit likes this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The HD 500 provides much smoother shaves and has a silky smooth TTO mechanism. It’s also a bit more efficient and aggressive than a super speed. It’s 72 grams of sheer happiness!

I’m still lamenting selling my HD500. :angry017:

Tim Spencer, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Good question. The head is different. The HD500, the No. 58, and the British Aristocrats of that time all used the same head, but different handles, or at least different handle knurling. It's more aggressive, but still within the super speed range. I'd put it in the sweet spot between a red tip super speed and a regular super speed.

7. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Why did you sell it? Seems like it's a good razor from what I've been reading in my searches.

brit likes this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Did you ever go through a time when you’ve decided that worldly possessions meant nothing, so you do something dumb? I was determined to thin down my collection a couple of years back and sold off about half of my razors. I told my wife the significance of each razor as I packaged them, while she told me I was nuts. She was right!
    :(

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

i did that recently as well..30+ gone away..

Edison Carter and Jim99 like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

HD Rocket is definitely a more milder razor than a 52 super speed unless you have a black tip super speed then that should be milder than the rocket.

11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

It’s really quite liberating, isn’t it!
    :)

However, I should have held on to the HD500.
    :angry017:

12. brit

brit in a box

it was actually,a load off.i kept my favorite and most enjoyed/used sets..mostly british stuff 1930-50ish.hd 500 went as well but kept the #58.same razor,prettier handle.:)

PLANofMAN, Edison Carter and Jim99 like this.