To strop on canvas or not

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Jabez 58, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

Hi all,
    I've been shaving on and off with a straight razor for about a year now, once again many thanks to Billyfergie for sorting out the edge on my razor
    However I think now I'm in my 60's it's about time I tried to create a shaving edge for myself by myself (on another razor that is) so here I am just about ready to jump in and sharpen / hone my first straight razor, it's a well old, well worn, well beaten up old thing that won't be a great loss if I mess up.
    But will become a thing of great pride if I succeed ha ha

I'm not going crazy here and jumping in with both feet getting all sorts of kit and stones left and right until I've tried and done. So I have some 3m lapping film and a flat 1K stone and a smooth block for the film to work on.

I do have one question though about strops do I need to have a Canvas/ linen/ fire hose/ webbing type strop as part of the finishing tools process or will just my leather strop be good enough?

Is a canvas strop really a must have necessity or Is it just a case of look what toys I've got and a bit of an overkill faff ???
    I don't want to undo any good I do by not using one if its a proper bit of kit then again I don't want to buy one just to hang up and annoy the missus! Ummmm
    Gra

I put my new leather strop up in the bathroom last year in what I considered the best place but I didn't tell the missus about it, about 3 days later she said, I wish you had said something about fixing that thing up in the bathroom before you did, and so I said oh why..... Because I wouldn't have let you if you did!!...
    You learn a lesson or 2 after being married for nearly 40 years ha ha!

MelC, Edison Carter, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Regarding Canvas or Linen its a Personal Thing I Reckon..Do Ya Need it..NO..I Only Use Linen or Canvas Coming Off the Hones..Sometimes..I Use Mostly Just Leather These Days..There are No Absolute Right & Wrong Answer to this Question as there are No Right or Wrongs...Its What We All Prefer or Reckon Works for Us as an Individual..:happy088:

Well..Thats Me Talkin Mind..:happy102:

Billy..:chores016:

Edison Carter, Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  3. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

Thanks billy
    As I said I’m just trying things out here with my first venture into the dark arts of straight razor sharpening to see if I can do it or not and don’t really want to be buying kit I don’t need especially if i can’t do a tidy job if it.
    I’ve seen loads of posts across the sites when first timers have failed to get the bevel set let alone achieve a comfortable shave out of it.
    I think I will see first how I get on without a material strop and take it from there.
    Gra

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I use either canvas or linen, you do not need both. My favorite is vintage linen or firehouse linen. I have a firehose linen with FeO3 on one side, a few laps on FeO3, then over to linen and then leather before the shave and linen after the shave to dry the edge. Probably over kill and many do great with just leather.

5. Jabez 58

Jabez 58 Active Member

Hi, I guess I didn’t exactly make myself clear, As my thoughts originally were....do I need at all to have a material strop in my equipment for honing old razors. Whether it be linen or canvas or a fire hose Or what (and if so which is best.)
    It seems opinion is divided as for what material.
    I have now honed the razor and Finished off just using my leather strop and I’m very happy to say That although it’s the first ever razor I have honed I got a good edge and Have had a comfortable shave with it!!
    So now the question is, will using a material strop give me a better final edge??
    Also must admit I have not ever considered using a material strop after shaving to help dry the razorBut worth thinking about.
    Gra

Karl G, Edison Carter and Billyfergie like this.
  6. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

I don't think it's overkill.
    Between shaves, I crox on a felt strop and I also strop on leather.
    My razors are maintaining their edges and maybe getting sharper
    and or smoother with each shave.

Edison Carter, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  7. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask, does speed matter when stropping? Should I be trying to create fire from friction or is a nice leisurely walk in the park pace better?

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  8. Billyfergie

Here is a Good Thread on the Question of Strop Speed..:happy088:
    https://sharprazorpalace.com/stropping/27493-stropping-speed.html

Billy..:chores016:

Karl G and Jake Gibson like this.
  9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Watch Dov shave for his 30th anniversary date. This guy's video tought me how to shave with a straight, from beginning to end.

Jabez 58 and Karl G like this.
  10. Jake Gibson

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Jake Gibson

Part 2...does strop paste really matter? I bought a new strop awhile ago and I pasted it up with green paste that came with a paddle strop I ordered off Amazon, now I'm kinda wishing I didn't because it just seems to be gunking up the blade more than anything.

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  12. Billyfergie

Many Use Cro Ox After Honing a Razor..Or to Refresh & Maintain Em..I Use it..Some Dont Use it..After a High Grit Natural in Particular..Sounds as If You have Over Pasted the Strop..Also Some Chro Ox Media is Low Quality..Here is a Good Video by Lynn Abrams on the Subject..;)

DaltonGang, Jake Gibson and Karl G like this.