Replating

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Swampfox, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

What is better to replate a razor in platinum, shiny nickel, or rhodium?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    brit likes this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Rhodium is harder and looks whiter and brighter than nickel. It doesn't tarnish and only needs mild cleaning. That being said, if I wasn't doing an original restoration, I might pick rhodium.

brit likes this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Depends on what you want. The price of rhodium has doubled in the last few months, so just about all of the razor replaters have switched to platinum as a rhodium substitute.

Comparing the three, rhodium is the hardest of the three, ranking at 6 on the Mohs scale. Lead ranks at 1, being very soft, while diamond ranks at 10, being the hardest substance known.
    Platinum is softer, ranking at 4-4.5. Visually, platinum and rhodium are nearly identical, and it would take an expert to determine the difference. (Rhodium is slightly whiter).
    Nickel is the softest of the three, with a Mohs ranking of 4. "Shiny" or bright nickel has sulfur additives in the plating solution to improve the reflectivity and the evenness of the plating.

For appearance and durability, rhodium is the first choice. Platinum is a perfectly acceptable substitute for rhodium, and though not as hard, it will handle drops and dings better than rhodium, and it's more hard wearing than nickel. It's also far cheaper than rhodium at current market prices. Nickel is the only one of the three that can tarnish, though it tarnishes very slowly and can be easily polished to remove the tarnish.

I would choose platinum as the most bang for your buck plating right now, since rhodium is pretty much unavailable, or if available, will cost double what platinum does.

Hope that helps.

Terry, Daywalker, brit and 2 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It all depends on the Razor, and what look you are wanting. I like to keep things as original looking as possible.
    If done right, Bright Nickel looks fantastic, is very durable, and very little chance of any tarnishing. I have a few Fatboys done in Bright Nickel, and couldnt be happier. I also have couple of razors done in Silver, and these need constant care, but age beautifully.

brit and Swampfox like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same advice except worded differently. First consideration is it going to be your razor or a razor that is passing through or one that is a collection and/or display piece. If it becomes your razor then whatever you want. If just passing through it probably best to leave it original or replate it same as it was originally plated if you can recoup the cost and even make some money on the resale. Razors tend to be like custom motorcycles, buyers want to buy their own custom bike from the builder not your's. If it is a collection and/or display piece same would apply depending condition and if plating hurts it resale value.

6. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

Well I was just looking at some replayed standard fatboys $135 obo nickel $150 platinum or $160 rhodium. With the price difference which would you go with?

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have always preferred the warm glow of Nickel compared to chrome or rhodium.

A little bit of polish and it comes back nicely. I have a few that were refinished in 2011 and they still look good.

Honestly, none of them. I am not really a fan of Gillette TTO razors and that is a lot of money.

If you like the razor and the price doesn't bother you, get the one you like the best.

brit likes this.
  8. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

I know some folks are not currently offering rhodium as an option due to cost :(

9. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

This is true Chris at Razorplating isn’t

10. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

Chris at razorplate is the best replater I know. Surely he can do Platinum as well

Herm2502 and Swampfox like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Rhodium.

The days of rhodium plated razors is over, and finding one is going to be harder over the next few years.

Terry and brit like this.
  12. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

Silver. Same color as Rhodium, but antibacterial, more forgiving (won't "cloud") and if the plating is thick enough (like Gillettes triple plate), you can polish it till the end of times.
    Imho hardness is not really relevant with the base metal being brass and the plating extremely thin.

Adam

PLANofMAN likes this.