What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

esvh, TestDepth, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Two Pass Shaving Routine..[​IMG]

Hot Water Prep & Massage with Argan Oil
    Gail Solingen Extra Full Hollow 6/8th
    Mason Pearson Pure Badger
    Monsavon Bol Tallow Soap
    Humphreys Witch Hazel

I Had a Cracking Mornings Shave Today with My Gail Solingen 6/8th..A Rare Bird..I Guess Made in the 1930s..It was Made by Gotta Solingen for the Spanish Market..It Took Down a Heavy Growth Nae Problem..Wunderbar..[​IMG]

I Am Dolphin Smooth & Refreshed..[​IMG]

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  3. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Manhattan Cutlery French Point 13/16 (Mug), Valet Auto Strop Model VC3 (Dome)

1F3B777E-230E-463C-B1CE-9F3C9F10EAE0.jpeg

4. jgreenepa

They’re great safety razors, and super head shavers.

DaltonGang, esvh, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've still got a full head of hair, and have wanted to shave it, every once and a while. But, the wife gets hysterical every time I mention it.

Keithmax, esvh, TestDepth and 5 others like this.
  6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yesterday, MK 32 and Stirling Green soap and AS

Today, Dior Eau Sauvage cream and balm. Both BDBS shaves!

EA722D3D-0767-4C78-98E2-15F79B0DECCC.jpeg 168C8D30-C91E-422F-BC58-2CF123DB2D82.jpeg

ischiapp, Keithmax, b1hart and 10 others like this.
  7. Billyfergie

You Own Some Beautiful Razors Steve..I Love those Faux Tortoise Scales..:happy088:

Keithmax, esvh, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Billy! @Jamie Mahoney can probably fix you up with some of those tortoise Kirinite scales. He did a KK 31 in it that was just gorgeous. Alfrdo Gil (Doc226) did these.

There’s a little trick that I use photographing tortoise and some other translucent scales, I cut a piece of aluminum foil to go between the scales and reflect light, making the colors and patterns stronger. Sometimes tortoise is rather dark and having a reflector helps. It also helps if you don’t get a bit sloppy and let the foil show as I did above, lol.

Keithmax, esvh, TestDepth and 4 others like this.
  9. Ice-Man

Ice-Man Well-Known Member

Tonights Shave

Dubl Duck Special No1 11/16th
    Geo F Thumper Rose Shaving Soap
    Brass brush with a 22mm 2 band silvertip
    Acoua Distillata Alle Rose Tonico Rinfrescante

36.jpg

10. Billyfergie

I Have a Set of Tortoise Scales Getting Made Steve at the Moment for this Kastor Solingen 15/16..The Scales are Goosed..I Sent it to this Restoration Joint in the UK..
    I have a Set Getting Made at the Moment Steve for My Kastor Solingen 15/16th by a UK Restoration Vendor..Should be Ready in the Near Future..:happy088:

Keithmax, Ice-Man, esvh and 5 others like this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Ice-Man, esvh, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  12. Billyfergie

When it Arrives..:happy102:

Ice-Man, esvh, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  13. jgreenepa

I’m my case SWMBO decided she was tired of my fringe. She asked me to shave the dome! Of course, I’m 73 and at a different point in life. Just shave the mug one day with the Big Fellow instead of a straight. Easy fix, and probably a nice change of pace!

Keithmax, Ice-Man, esvh and 5 others like this.
  14. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I just started shaving my head a couple weeks ago. My wife thought I was joking when I said I was going to, but she's coming around about it. At work, people were afraid to ask about it because they were afraid I was getting chemo or something. The HR Director came in and chatted a little with me asking what prompted the change (balding in back), then she left my office and announced "it's okay, he isn't dying!" Other than that, most people have been very complimentary about the new look once they get past the initial surprise.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

15. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

A weekend of simplicity...
    Gebr. Weyersberg 6114 Cornet on Saturday
    DE63E8C6-A6B4-4372-8606-5022C745C71C.jpeg
    Followed up with an Ito Co. & Ltd Inko 1500 on Sunday.
    6CE65756-028F-43BB-9DD5-59D81BBB57B1.jpeg
    First go with the Wickham 1912 soap and it was very enjoyable.
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

16. esvh

esvh Well-Known Member

A Knyn 12 4/8 (it measures 5/8)

Simple looking razors, but shaves really well.

Tabac shaving soap and zenith boar.

[​IMG]

17. jgreenepa

Frederick Reynolds 5/8 (Mug). Ever Ready Streamline (Dome)

6E738F7B-41D9-4E5C-80AA-8DBFA0895B9C.jpeg

18. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

No pretty pictures, but I used my Joesph Elliott Patented Frameback for my head today. First time testing that one out. It tends to be tuggy on my beard, so I was expecting it to not do so well on top either, but surprisingly, it did one of the best jobs yet. Very comfortable and little need of re-shaving areas. Shaving your head is actually much like carefully combing your hair. Much easier than one would expect. I had my trusty Blue Steel H Henry Hill standing by as a backup in case it didn't work, and when I got to my beard and found the frameback tuggy once again, I switched blades and got a wonderfully nice shave.

19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

AED68FD2-6484-4861-894E-BC043241705D.jpeg User King Pelican 14, cream was AoS Ocean Kelp lathered with a big Simpsons 59. dab of Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere balm paired very well.

20. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

After having been haunted by this razor from afar for four years it became today’s Shave of the Day. :bounce017: I knew from my trading partner that the grind was a near wedge and expected a shave very much like the Ragg Paragon I’ve been trying to dial in. Nope, it was more like my favorite 1941 Russian razor. Like a butter knife that somehow cuts whiskers. But, the heck with how it shaved, it was finally in hand. I’m still captivated by the beautiful clean lines. This is truly a case where a picture is worth a thousand words. It’s hard to say how satisfying having this razor is for me. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    Argan Oil PSO
    Savile Row 3824
    Castle Forbes Lavender Shaving Cream
    1825 near NOS John & William Ragg Napoleon 11/16
    Castle Forbes Lavender After Shave Balm

8FAD7466-6EEC-4C18-A378-37AC9CAFC7FA.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl