PAA glow in the dark razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimjo1031, Oct 20, 2020.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

2. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

@jimjo1031
    Well, what is your thoughts? To be honest I'm not biting. PPA does make good stuff, but this one, not into it.

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

It is interesting, and I am a Halloween baby. And it's an open comb slant.

4. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

That's what is so cool about an open market. There's always something for everyone. If you get one, let us know how it is. I love the Slant from Above the Tie. I have both the OC and SB. A lot milder than you would think.

Ijustmissedthe50s and jimjo1031 like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Made by Aurora!

You'll have to be a child of the 60s and 70s to possibly get it.

6. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I don't shave in the dark, so it would just glow in a stand. A bigger factor for me is that I strongly prefer heavy razors.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Reminds me of midnight bowling.

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Gimmick nothing more. If the novelty appeals to you go for it.

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I like it!

:eatdrink013:

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I had it in my cart, made it all the way to the checkout. Then I remembered that Goth wet shaving is such a tiny little subset of our niche culture, it might not be a good investment.

...and I don't shave in the dark, so shaving with a non-glowing razor doesn't appeal.
    #lazySOTD pic "glowing razor surrounded by a brush and bottle shaped objects."

My take is that this razor is aimed at Facebook SOTD folks who are chasing the highest "like button" clicks for their photos, and why blame them? I think a glowing razor is cool, just not for me.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Interesting novelty, but that’s all. I don’t know anyone who is in the habit of shaving in the dark.

battle.munky and Paul Turner like this.
  12. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I have shaved in the dark, but I do not care enough to get this razor.

(In case someone wonders why I would shave in the dark: I get the best shaves in sauna and some traditional Finnish saunas do not have any light except for some candles. Sometimes I shave in such saunas.)

Terry likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My son shaves mostly in the dark, though he’s visually impaired.

:eatdrink013:

Terry likes this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I stand corrected. I now do know (of) some folks who shave in the dark.

Jim99, Paul Turner, Lancre and 2 others like this.
  15. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

And some people are just in the dark about everything!:happy102:

Jim99 likes this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I guess I am in that group....in 1960 I turned 3....at the end of 1970(79) I was 22.

Jim99 likes this.
  17. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I sent away for it and used it this week with a Trig Silver Edge blade. It's surprisingly efficient considering it's made of plastic. The more extreme slant angle means that you're slicing rather than cutting, kind of like the difference between an angled Guillotine blade as opposed to earlier, straight axe-like ones. Use a sharper blade in it, like Feather, Personna, or Astra, and you'll get a close, smooth shave. The glow-in-the-dark feature is a novelty, a marketing gimmick, but that's just extra. I actually like this razor. Between its open comb and more pronounced slant angle, this lightweight tool is quite efficient, and requires the same care in use that you need for metal razors. Also, being a replica of a vintage razor that actually existed, that delivers an additional coolness.

Jim99 likes this.
  18. Paul Turner

All I'd be looking at is the razor moving up and down the mirror(chuk yuk yuk).

Jim99 likes this.
  19. Paul Turner

A year or so ago, you almost had golf in the dark....not the action, but the ceremony on the 18th hole. They finished JUST in time.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    Jim99 likes this.
  20. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Guys, this razor isn't meant to be used in the dark. You are encouraged not to do so by the paper description sheet included with the package. The glow-in-the-dark feature is, like I said, just a novelty for Halloween. Having used it, I can safely say that despite it being made of lightweight plastic, it is just as efficient as any metal slant razor (this because of the open comb and extreme angle of the slant). There are red and blue versions that don't glow in the dark, that are now sold on PAA's web site. Doug likes his recreations of vintage shave gear, and this is just the latest addition to his line. After using it for a few shaves, I am of the opinion that pairing it with the blade right for you will give you as good a shave as with a metal razor, and the light weight shouldn't lull you into a false sense of security.

Jim99, 9nein9 and Sara-s like this.