Barbasol Brotherhood

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Bama Samurai, Jul 3, 2016.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nope. The can stuff. It’s all goo in my book.

brit likes this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Since it's been around for just over 100 years, it's SOPHISTICATED goo in my book.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Works for me!

Paul Turner, Stoof2010, ilts and 2 others like this.
  4. Stoof2010

Stoof2010 New Member

I've been using barbasol purple for the last 4 shaves or so.
    When I started wetshaving in 2014 my technique didn't allow me to use barbasol. But about a week ago I dusted off my old cans and went to town and been working great!
    Don't get me wrong I like my soaps and brush creams but nice to know it can go well when it need to be quick!!

Also side note, I have arctic chill and pacific rush (no menthol or caffeine) and also a can of the yellow skin conditioner.

My understanding is they discontinued the arctic chill and put menthol into pacific? (Not as much I've heard)
    Also they got rid of the yellow skin conditioner (lanolin) when they added the new extra moisturizing purple?
    I like the purple seems to have everything the others do like aloe and lanolin and stuff.

Also, I just went and grabbed some 10oz cans from Walmart as other places seem to only have the little 7 oz cans for same price as the old big cans were :-( and I noticed they no longer have the aluminum bottom?!?

So much has changed!!!
    Better use my arctic chill, skin conditioner, and pacific rush sparingly I guess.

Also, I'm in Michigan and can't find the new pacific rush anywhere to try and barbasol.com wants like $3 or $4 ea for small can in multipack.

ilts, BigD and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  5. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Saturday's Barbasol Shave 10/17/20 DSCF5091.JPG

6. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

The new Pacific Rush with menthol and caffeine has more menthol than Arctic Chill, but not as much as vintage Cool Menthol.

Extra Moisturizing and Skin Conditioning were sold concurrently for years. Extra Moisturizing was part of the Barbasol Ultra lineup that also reintroduced Sensitive around 2009. Eventually the Ultra series went away, and Extra Moisturizing and Sensitive were later added to the regular Barbasol lineup.

I have both Extra Moisturizing and Skin Conditioning and each is not a complete substitute for the other. The Skin Conditioning seems to do better for me during dry winter months.

As far as new Pacific Rush, I love the menthol and caffeine, but the delightful Pacific Rush fragrance now has a certain Vicks VapoRub essence to it. I wish they would've just added caffeine to Arctic Chill and left Rush the way it was.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Stoof2010 and ilts like this.
  7. Stoof2010

Stoof2010 New Member

Thank you for the clarification. And yes I agree about the adding caffeine to arctic instead.
    I picked up some brisk off the barbasol site. The rep told me that are done making it and what they have online is it then it's gone so I got a 6 pack of it. I still have 3/4 bottle of pacific rush AS but she said that's been gone for a while. Much preferred it to the brisk. But I like the brisk enough that I got a 6 pack while ordering 6 new pacific rush 7 oz cans (can't find it anywhere near me) because I found a 20% off coupon.
    Anyone interested I have the coupon code which isn't a one time use I don't think.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Ijustmissedthe50s, Ursa and ilts like this.
  8. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

I don't believe that Barbasol ever made this themselves; before the Barbasol version hit the market the same aftershave was sold as Brisk under the Dollar General brand--it even came in the same pop-top bottle that Barbasol Brisk initially did.

I fully expect that Dollar General and Family Dollar will bring their store-brand versions of Brisk back once the Barbasol version ends it run.

And...whereabouts are you in Michigan? I'm located in Manistee.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  9. Stoof2010

Stoof2010 New Member

Who made the pacific rush version? That's the one I want!! Lol
    Yes I'm in Michigan. South east Michigan. North of Detroit by about 25 miles

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  10. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

An outfit called Vi-Jon made all of the Barbasol aftershaves as well as store-brand versions of Brut, Old Spice, and Aqua Velva.

If you encounter a bottle of blue store-brand A/S in the same type of bottle used by Barbasol Brisk, take a good whiff of it; perhaps Pacific Rush lives on branded as something else.

Edison Carter likes this.
  11. Stoof2010

Stoof2010 New Member

Ok thanks. I have 6 bottles of brisk on the way from barbasol.com.
    Just need to find the pacific rush scent somewhere.

12. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Saturday's Barbasol Shave 10/24/20 DSCF5116.JPG

13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'd hate to think that the anniversary edition of Barbasol has gone the same way as has Rise Superfoam-OUT.

Ijustmissedthe50s and ilts like this.
  14. magoo

magoo New Member

Can someone tell me what is the benefit of putting caffeine in shaving cream

Ijustmissedthe50s and ilts like this.
  15. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

I think it is supposed to be good for the skin. However, deep down I think the only benefit is so you can say there is caffeine in your shave cream/soap.

16. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Yep, its hard not to think of caffeine away from coffee lol. But its been known for its effective treatment for skin inflammation for years. It reduces redness and puffiness with its anti inflammation benefits. Think about it...people have been putting wet tea bags on or under their eyes for a long, long time. It actually does work, albeit temporarily and its not like plastic surgery lol.

Shaver X, magoo, Ursa and 2 others like this.
  17. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Saturday's Barbasol Shave 10/31/20 DSCF5139.JPG

Ijustmissedthe50s, Ursa and BigD like this.
  18. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Picked up a bottle of daylogic (Vi-Jon) Arctic Blue aftershave at my local Rite-Aid. The same thing seems to be sold by CVS.

It's not quite an Aqua Velva clone, but the fragrance is similar to that of my cans of new Pacific Rush.

I've never sampled Pacific Rush A/S. Has anyone compared the two? Is it Pacific Rush by another name?

Also, Barbasol Brisk is still on offer on walgreens.com for $2.29 a bottle with free ship-to-store. Brisk is nowhere to be found on store shelves around here; this could be your last chance to stock up affordably.

Ijustmissedthe50s, ilts and BigD like this.
  19. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Saturday's Barbasol Shave 11/07/20 DSCF5157.JPG

Ijustmissedthe50s, BigD and Ursa like this.
  20. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Sunday's Barbasol Shave 11/15/20 DSCF5175.JPG

Ursa, Ijustmissedthe50s and BigD like this.