New guy looking for ID help

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by monzaman, Oct 26, 2020.

1. monzaman

monzaman New Member

Hello, I just bought these and I'm going to pass them on to my sons' as birthday presents soon. I would like to be able to let them know what and how old they are, any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Rick

Attached Files:

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

The pic is two Gillette super speeds and a Gillette tech . There are date codes on the super speeds on the underside of the blade trays that you can look up by googling-Gillette safety razor date codes. Im not sure about the tech, but someone here will know. On the date codes- there will be a letter and a number like c3. The letter corresponds to the year it was made and the number corresponds with the quarter of the year it was made. Ex: c3 is the 3rd quarter of 1957. You may need a magnifying glass to see the letters and numbers they’re pretty small.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

TV Special Flair Tip, Black handle Flair Tip and Tech. Date codes should be underneath, a letter and a number.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  4. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Ijustmissedthe50s and MR41 like this.
  5. Weasel640

Look closer on the Metallic Super Speed, it's not the standard pattern on the Regular Super Speed.
    tech.jpg

The Tech looks like a regular Tech to me. I'm guessing 1950s by the looks of it.

6. monzaman

monzaman New Member

Thanks all!!!

brit likes this.
  7. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Threads merged.

jimjo1031 and brit like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

the tech is a prewar triangle baseplate.won't have a date code,it has a post war ball end handle.

9. Weasel640

Right. I was focusing on the handle. Guess it's a mix matched Tech...

Here is what Brit is talking about at 11:04 (for some reason it keeps stripping the start point I'm trying to link to):

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  10. monzaman

monzaman New Member

Thanks again for the info! How about some more?!?! I bought these in the same auction and am wondering if a: these GEM blades will work for the Gem and Star razors[​IMG] razor 3.jpg 0002491_62-0165-gem-extra-sharp-coated-single-edge-blade_300.jpeg
    and b: if blades are still available for the Valet? It has three pins on the top part that help hold the blade in place razor 3.jpg

jimjo1031 likes this.
  11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yes on the Gem blades. The only modern blades for the Auto-Strop are Feather FHS-10 blades.

12. monzaman

monzaman New Member

Hopefully this will be the last question on the subject! Will the FHS-10 blades work on the Gem and Star?

Rick

13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yes for the razors pictured. The only Gem razors those blades won't work on are the Gem Micromatic razors.