Cartridge vs. Double edge

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by gsan, Oct 26, 2020.

1. gsan

gsan New Member

Between a double edge safety razor and modern cartridge razors, which one will give a truly closer shave? What advantage do modern cartridge razors have over double edge razors? Can any of you guys give me your unbiased opinions? Thanks.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

i will give you my spiel..i used carts since the early 80s until 2016.trac II, bics and for the longest time mach 3.always had ingrown hair issues due to the cart blades pulling/cutting whiskers below the skin surface. used gillette de razors since mid 2016 with no ingrown issues.also have better skin condition since..carts will give a great close shave to many folks,but my issues ended when i stopped using them.just my 2 bits..hope that helps..:)..

3. gsan

gsan New Member

But will carts shave much much closer than double edge razors?

brit likes this.
  4. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

IMO, theyre pretty equal. I can get a great shave with either. Really the only difference is that the cart is quicker and easier but the DE is more comfortable.

5. brit

brit in a box

cart shaves will feel closer because they draw the whisker out ,cut it and then the hair retracts below the skin,as many diagrams will show..de will shave at the skin at surface or remove a layer of skin in theory if not careful.straight razors,de,se can only go to the skins surface.after that its removing a skin layer ..

6. gsan

gsan New Member

More comfortable, but how?

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  7. gsan

gsan New Member

But if i want the closest shave possible, who would prevail between carts and de? I only ask because many people have told me that de will shave closer since the blades are much sharper.... what do you think?

brit likes this.
  8. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I started shaving in 1962 with a Gillette Slim still use it, I have tried Cartridge razors as they came out, from the 2 blade to the 5 blade swivel and like Brit said, it gave me close shaves but I got ingrowns but also razor burns. I always had to switch back to DE/SE razors in order to keep my face a happy shave.
    The DE/SE/SR blade will cut hairs at the skin surface, to ware in MPO, depending on density of beard, the Cart razors tend to dull or clog after a few shaves, also I've found that if a person uses a 1 razor, soap etc. traditional shaving is much cheaper. Unless your a hobbyist, then you'll need a second job.

Aztecmike and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

i stated my opinion already.de works for me with closer issue free shaves.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Shaver X and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  10. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

DE, or even a SE, just pick the blade that is best for your razor and is sharp and comfortable for you

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I’ve gotten closer shaves with DE blades.

Terry, Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  12. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

It’s not because the blades are sharper because they’re not.
    A couple of replies have already said it. The cartridge pulls the hair out a bit so when it cuts the hair retracts just beneath the skin vs a DE cutting at the skin.
    Technically that’s closer but you can pay a price by having those hairs below the skin cause bumps and ingrowns.
    If you want the closest shave possible go with the cartridge. If you want a close irritation free shave choose the DE.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

With time, patience, and practice, you can get just as close a shave with either. There was a time when conventional wisdom convinced me that that wasn't true, but it is true for me.

Herm2502, PanChango, Terry and 4 others like this.
  14. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I went from cartridges (Gillette Fusion) to DE at the end of 2012 and I have been staying with DE since then. Unless a blade is so dull that it pulls out the hairs, you can not cut closer than at skin level. Both cartridges and DE allows the blade(s) all the way to the skin.
    Here are the advantages and reasons I stay with DE:
    • No clogging. This saves me a lot of time both during shave and during cleanup of the tools.
    • Blades are cheap enough to be changed often. Thus I never need to shave with a dull blade.
    I truly find DE more convenient and I shave faster with a DE than with cartridges. With both cartridges and DE I have to do two passes: one with the grain and one against the grain. Thus the face time is the same but a DE is so much easier to rinse and thus I finish faster with a DE.

The last thing I want to add is that regardless of tool (cartridge, DE, etc) a really close shave is only achieved by using good technique. If you check your face carefully you will probably notice that the grain of your beard is not constant. For example for me it goes almost top down on the cheeks but from left to right under the jaw bone. Only by knowing how the beard grows you are able to go completely against the grain which is needed for a really close shave. A close shave is also about sometimes stretching the skin, a good preparation of the beard and other small things. Also in the beginning you should not expect close shaves from a DE because a DE will only shave well when kept at the right angle, which is a bit difficult in the beginning.

15. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

A cart can give you a quick, close shave, and can do so with less effort than you would need for a de blade. It does come with more irritation than a de razor, and with good technique, the De blade can give you just as close a shave as the cart, with far less irritation.

Lancre and brit like this.
  16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I can't use a cart with more than one blade.
    They just tear up my face, and the gord gets way to many bumps to do it with them, even the Bic.
    I used Bic single edge razor until my beard just got to tough for such dull blades, then found DE wet shaving.
    Things are much nicer now, my face
    is much better off, bumps almost totally gone except a few now and then, mostly from allergies and the like.
    I've never been able to get a closer shave with a disposable, compared to a DE or SE razor.
    It took a while to get my technique down, but I get the best shaves ever.
    I admit, I use the sharpest blades and most efficient blade holders there are, but that took time to learn.
    I'm better off now, much better off.
    I'll never go backwards.

3 cheers to those who can use carts to get a comfortable, close shave with disposables and carts.
    I'm not that lucky.

tp

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Yes. Learn your tool of choice and you will be rewarded with close comfortable shaves.

18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Ya just HADDA repeat yourself, dincha? :))

Terry and brit like this.
  19. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

I think that both have good points.
    Old technology help you to understand basics of the right technique.
    HiTech new multiblades razors are super efficient.
    With a good technique, the new ones shave closer.

Sooooo ... the key point is the hand, not the tool.

brit, Droo78 and Paul Turner like this.
  20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:signs011:

I mostly use DE razors these days, but I'm currently doing a Trac II focus. I posted this today on the October 30 Day Rule/Focus thread:

This was the fourth shave of my Trac II focus. The shaves improved dramatically once I dialed in the correct blade angle. It took a couple of shaves to get there. Due to the narrow sweet spot of the razor head and the relatively long handle, it seems that I have to "exaggerate" the angle to get it right. Once I feel the blade cutting, I use just a bit of pressure and then - Shazam! - I get my usual near-BBS shaves in 2+ passes. It's a gentle shaver, and I'd have to work hard to draw blood with it. Surprisingly, I find that using my $5 plastic Trac II handle is more intuitive than this handle.

Technique trumps tools in my world too. With appropriate adjustments in technique, I basically get the same shaves from carts and DEs.