October 30 Day/Rule Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Sep 30, 2020.

?

Will you be focusing on an Open Comb razor?

1. Absolutely, I have them all shined up and ready for shaving.

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. I will mix it up, closed and open comb razors.

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I haven't used a comb for many years.

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I am a straight razor shaver, you open comb shavers don't know what you're missing.

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. If I use an open comb razor, will I finally get some cookies?

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Very nice, Pierpaolo.

clint64, ischiapp, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    That's a classy razor, Gary.

clint64, Hembree, JACarbone and 2 others like this.
  3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Thanks Doug.....hope your day is great and stay off of the moped.:D

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  4. Hembree

Thanks Charlie. The doc visit was good. Just trying to get on the right blood pressure medicine.

5. Hembree

Thanks Clint.....they are close. Very close.

6. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

A very well detailed comparison, Danny. The E plate sounds like a winner for sure, and doesn't seem to sacrifice smoothness. Do you have an OC baseplate for it as well? That would be an informative comparison as well.
    A little story about me and a Karve. When they came out, it ticked all the boxes for me and I was planning on ordering one, but was about to do a year long (2018) No Buy. John (Screwtape) and I made a deal with each other that if we made it through a No Buy that we would buy ourselves Karves as a reward (somewhat Ironic, I do realize).
    Anyway, I made it to the end of August and folded like a cheap suit. I have resisted getting a Karve as my ongoing punishment for not completing the NB. I'm silly that way sometimes, I suppose, as I've bought other new razors since and a few I wanted less than the Karve. Fwiw, John bought a Karve the month he bowed out of the NB...:eatdrink047:

Terry, Droo78, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

stay safe Clint..:)

8. Hembree

Short report but gorgeous shave Joseph.

9. Hembree

Thanks Jeff. Your thought were spot on.

10. jtspartan

Very jealous of that vintage Faberge AS, Joseph. You don't see many of those Valobra pucks anymore. I liked the performance of the quality 3x milled puck, but just didn't have the same quality scent experience that you've commented on about yours.

11. Hembree

Paul...I think you have arrived. Awesome shave.

12. jtspartan

I don't know if anyone else responded to this yet, Paul, but no, imo, Shulton doesn't have a huge burn associated with it.

13. Hembree

Thanks Gary....you nailed it with the analogy.

14. brit

brit in a box

very cool..my only experience with simpson badgers are the commodore and special in best badger.all my other badgers are of the 2 band variety.great back bone which i like.i always fear purchasing a pricier silvertip brush only for it to be too floppy. read too much into them without trying them i guess..

15. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

242F188E-24AB-4E85-A6A1-F64541AB7218.jpeg
    SOTD THURSDAY MORNING, OCTOBER 29, 2020

My son has 182 straight razors in his collection, 93 of whose blades are Japanese silver steel or Yasuki steel. I have a much smaller collection - all are users - but three are Japanese silver steel. The razor selected for today’s mug shave is a Tanifuji Airi. The jasper edge is a joy to shave with, and is amazingly sharp, yet still buttery smooth. Some on the dedicated straight forums describe ‘whisker-meltin’ edges and this razor definitely possesses one. This morning’s three pass (WTG, ATG, XTG) shave felt like I was just brushing away the rich MWF lather.

There appeared to be a slight weeper after my second mug pass, but it disappeared after I applied the lather for my third and final pass. That’s one of the benefits of MWF that is a feature of its consistent use. It truly conditions one’s skin with long-term use. Of course, it possesses a clean, mild soapy scent, and not one of the strong scents so popular with most wet-shavers. It’s these very differences of opinion that makes this hobby of ours so enjoyable. As a daily shaver, I use MWF generally about 4 out of 7 shaves a week. Creams are a different story!

My dome shave starred my Ronson safety razor! It was developed for proprietary blades in the very early 30s (1931), but works beautifully with Schick Proline Injector blades, although it is admittedly a bit fiddly to set up. Although a bit top heavy, that is not a problem and works beautifully for me. It is a surprisingly capable little safety razor, and one I’m proud to own. It delivered an extremely close dome shave in two ATG passes. I feel cool, clean and smoothly velveteen!

RAZOR: Tanifuji Airi 11/16 (Mug), Ronson Safety Razor (Dome)
    BLADE: Schick Proline Injector (Dome)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by Argan Oil
    BRUSH: MrEE Knurled Aluminum Hybrid Knot #007
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.

Douglas Carey, MrEE, Terry and 11 others like this.
  16. Hembree

Quality shave Jason. Love the picture.

17. brit

brit in a box

thank you Clint.Jason builds some beautiful stuff..:)glad you made it to work safely..:)

18. brit

brit in a box

awesome shaves and pic Jeff .cool Ronson..:cool:

19. brit

brit in a box

awesome Pierpaolo...i am a big Bon Scott fan,early AC/DC..1980 and older..:cool:..cool brush..

20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Clint!
    Thank you, Danny!
    Thanks, Gary! Good morning..
    Be safe my friend.
    Thank you, Jason!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.