What Manly Things Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I assembled a drafting chair in under five minutes.

Hembree, gorgo2 and richgem like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

:bounce015:

Hembree and Sara-s like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Stabilized daughter's bookcase.

Hembree likes this.
  4. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

Welded some scrap metal together...just because I can.

Then I walked around the house wearing my welding helmut, till the wife told me it was really creepy.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Hembree likes this.
  5. J_Man

Oh yeah, I also installed a ring doorbell and some security cameras. Just in case one of those pesky bears decides to burglarize my house.

Sara-s likes this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@J_Man I use the Ring cameras too. They really can be helpful in dealing with some animals (living in a large city, my main problem is stray cats) and also unwanted salespeople.

J_Man likes this.
  7. J_Man

I tried a couple of other brands, but they didn't work with my Echo Show--even though they were advertised to do so, but the Ring cameras work great.

Living in the country my main problem is hillbillies aka my wifes family.

But on a serious note, being in such a secluded area there have been a rash of car thefts and break-ins. Having no visible neighbors and no dedicated PD makes it a prime spot.

Paul Turner, Droo78 and Sara-s like this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Agreed on all counts. I use my Ring Camera with the Echo show also. Hint (in case you haven’t already figured it out) to open the camera with sound on your Echo device, the command is “Alexa call -name of your camera-. If you just ask to show it, you will get picture but not sound.

At best (and there is research to support this) visible home cameras actually deter theft. At worst, they provide usable evidence, if needed.

J_Man likes this.
  9. J_Man

@Sara-s Thanks for the tip. I actually set mine up with a routine so that when it detects motion it automatically starts a live stream with audio/video right on the echo show, requiring no human intervention. And, if the event occurs after dark, it will also turn on my porch light.

I have developed an obsession with total home automation over the last few years.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Sara-s and Droo78 like this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I raised the draw weight on my bow to 41 lb.

11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Thanksgiving weight gain? ;)

Sara-s likes this.
  12. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I trimmed a high limb tree with a manual chain saw. Here's how to make the saw. You'll need a chainsaw blade (i.e the chain part) for a bar sized about 18", about 50 ft of rope, a wooden dowel or stick about a foot long, a bit of wire, and something to act as a small weight. Sever the chainsaw blade using a chain break or a file so that it's a straight chain instead of a loop. Drill a couple of small holes at one end of the wood dowel and attach it with some wire to one end of the chain so that it extends in line away from the chain. Attach a loop of wire to the other end of the chain. Tie one end of the rope to the same end of the chain as the dowel. Tie your weight to the other end of the rope.
    Now for the tricky part. You've got to get the rope over the limb of the tree you want to cut. This sounds easy, but typically there will be other limbs and little twiggy branches in the way. So, take your time and don't get the rope and weight caught up in the obstacles. Throw the weight end of the rope over the limb so it hangs down where you can reach it. Then remove the weight and tie that end of the rope to the free end of the chain. You should now have a single loop of rope and chain wrapped over the limb you want to cut. All the hard work is now done. The wooden dowel acts as a flipper to keep the teeth aside of the chain facing down. If the teeth are facing up retie the rope so that the flipper keeps them pointed downward. Pull the rope so that the chain is over the limb, then start sawing. You'll be amazed just how quickly and effortlessly the chain cuts through big limbs. A final word of caution: don't stand under the limb when you cut.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    DaltonGang and Hembree like this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I made a large pot of Chili. About 30 Quarts of it, in a 53 quart pot. I fed a lot of co-workers, neighbors, and the wife. I had 14 quarts left, after it was said and done. Into the deep freezer with most of it.
    Best Chili ever.

9nein9, lottenhem, J_Man and 2 others like this.
  14. efsk

efsk Active Member

33 liters of Chili is a lot.

DaltonGang likes this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The holidays really bring out the worst in people and I took it on the chin today.

Despite my urges, I did not push any customers in front of a bus. :p

Not sure if it was manly, but it took more effort than squatting 4 plates (405lbs) for me.

Hembree likes this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I got out the Dremel and repaired a defective Menorah for my Mom.

17. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Today is my wife's last day in a 28 year career as school Cafeteria Manager. I took the day off and made her a PVC bow( at her request) to help fill up some of the time.
    A fun process with a learning curve. The limbs aren't symmetric, but it shoots. Draw is likely about 35-4o lbs. Tomorrow, I teach myself to make a Flemish Twist bowstring to replace the paracord.
    [​IMG]
    Orange is her favorite color.

DaltonGang, J_Man, Sara-s and 2 others like this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@joamo that is impressive! How did you make it? Also, how long is it, from end to end?

19. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

@Sara-s
    57 inches, tube length was 60 inches, 3/4 inch, furniture grade PVC. I used a heat gun to warm the tube and clamped it in a jig to flatten and taper the limbs. The ends were reheated then clamped in a vise to flatten perpendicular to the limbs.
    There are several YouTube channels that make PVC bows, I learned from the BackyardBowyer, Nick has a huge library of videos on making bows, flintknapping and blacksmithing. One of his latest bows is a 100 pound Turkish style.

J_Man and Sara-s like this.
  20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Very Cool.. :happy088::happy088: