Pearl Flexi Adjustable Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by poppi, Nov 20, 2020.

1. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Look what I just got!! Will be using it next week and reporting back later. Don't have a clue about the blades though. Anybody know anything about them? They sent 150 blades

flex3.jpg flex4.jpg

Hembree, Str8on2, MR41 and 12 others like this.
  2. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

There’s a fair bit of talk about canting and blade alignment problems in other forums and social media sites currently.

Check the adjustment on yours and if one side of the blade gap gets bigger as you increase the dial then, unfortunately, it has a problem.

Thankfully, Pearl have apparently announced that they will either offer a replacement or provide a replacement razor from the second wave that’s due to be released soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edison Carter, Terry and cliffb599 like this.
  3. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Yup, I have that problem. Contacted them and they offered a replacement or refund. I opted for the replacement so just waiting/hoping it will be better cuz I like this one.

4. wasson

wasson New Member

I want one. I requested to be put on the wait list, but when I heard about the problem with the middle settings, I decided to wait to see if they get it resolved before I buy one.

Hembree, brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

For anyone looking at and considering the Pearl Flexi, I can confirm that any canting and alignment issues have been fixed. I have a Pearl Flexi V4 (which is not technically a fourth version, but is the fourth production run) and no issues at all with it. As I understand it, they fixed the issues back in the V2 production run. It's a fantastic heavy razor. If you don't have, or don't want to spend, $249 on the stainless steel Rex Ambassador, the heavy brass Pearl Flexi is absolutely a great alternative at $80, which also gets you an included razor stand - an additional $50 if you want the one that goes with the Rex Ambassador.

6. brit

brit in a box

cool razor..:cool:

Ozwhisker and IAmTheJody like this.
  7. Clouds

Clouds Active Member

The Pearl is probably the best value for money in a "current" adjustable

StewB, Ron R, PLANofMAN and 5 others like this.
  8. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Is it normal for the Flexi to Rattle when everything is assembled and tightened up? I just used my brand new V4 for the first time today.

9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Mine rattles. Go figure. Course I wouldn't have thought to shake it, thanks for that.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

10. gwsmallwood

I probably only noticed because of the angle changes during my head shave.

Ron R and jmudrick like this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Turn up the music?? I recommend Little Steven's Underground Garage for the rattlers.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Ron R and gwsmallwood like this.
  12. IAmTheJody

I have used mine several times and have not noticed such. I will check when I get home...

13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

IAmTheJody likes this.
  14. IAmTheJody

I've never shaken it like a baby rattler, but indeed after just doing so, it does have a little rattle in it. Sounds like the spring moving. I've never heard it during actual shaves, face and head. Everything else is perfect with my V4... Adjusting, blade gap even, etc.

Dave in KY, brit and jmudrick like this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

To clarify, mine is same, only rattles when shaken. Works fine.

Dave in KY, brit and IAmTheJody like this.
  16. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've had mine for a while now. Not positive but I guess it's probably a V1? I'm not crazy about the weight. Haven't put it on a scale but it's noticeably heavier than most of my razors and I think the weight magnifies the blade feel so using the weight of the razor is a little too much pressure IMO. As far as the blades go, I really liked the Willy's blades. They gave me at least 2 really good shaves. The third was usually...less good. I only tried a couple of the Glatz blades. Didn't like them much. They were pretty tuggy for me.

cliffb599 and IAmTheJody like this.
  17. gwsmallwood

You guys are right, I didn't notice it when face shaving. Let's see if I notice it again when head shaving tomorrow.

cliffb599 likes this.
  18. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

While waiting for my Taiga Ti to arrive (which arrived today... YAY!) I picked up a Twig and a Flexi, both of which arrived last week. The first thing I did was pull the Flexi apart and remove that brass retaining clip so it's easy to later pull apart and fully clean after use. I *HIGHLY* recommend it. Easily reversible, eliminates the rattle, and makes it easy to clean. What's not to love?

19. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

I have been a Pearl Flexi thread lurker for months having first tried the cheap Qshave adjustable. (Q was mechanically quirky and provided inconsistent shaves.)

Finally, Murphy & McNeil (USA) popped a restock of Version 10 and I ordered.

Thanks to those contributors on this and other threads for helping with my razor RAD!

20. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

Damn that FOMO. Picked up a V10 yesterday from Murphy and McNeil.