How old were you and what grade were you in, when you first started shaving?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by myles wilson, Nov 18, 2020.

1. myles wilson

myles wilson Moth Ball Mouth

I remember my family mentioning when I was little speculating that I would probably never be able to grow facial hair, because my father could never grow any. by the time I reached 8th grade, guys like me had began starting to shave, me on the other hand, I was not able to grow any facial hair, let alone "peach fuzz" by the time freshman year of high school arrived I still had not started shaving nor able to grow even the slightest of facial hair. at that point I pretty much thought I would not be able to grow facial hair and that I would take after my father's genes. It was not until around late freshman year early sophomore year, was I able to grow SOME facial hair. at that point, I shaved maybe once a week or once every other week. then towards junior year I reached a peak in my facial hair maturity and was able to grow a lot more hair. I had started shaving maybe a few times a week. Now here we are senior year of highschool and now I am pretty much a regular daily shaver. Now I shave everyday to every other day. looking back at it, I must have taken after my Grand Father's genes because he on the other hand was able to grow facial hair (and a good bit of it also) I'd like to think he looks down from heaven at me feeling proud of the "wet shaving" hobby I have come across. He was always an electric razor kind of man, (at least when he was older) However he loved the Shulton Old Spice just like I do. Maybe it is just me, but I feel as if wet shaving is kind of a dying art. Throughout my journey, I was fortunate enough to introduce a few of my buddies to wet shaving with safety razors and one of them is a regular user of his safety razor and puck of soap.

Hope y'all found some entertainment in my post.

Myles Wilson.

BamaT, Enrico, PLANofMAN and 7 others like this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Thanks for sharing Myles but I don't remember when I started shaving.

brit, Trigger and myles wilson like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

When I entered my sophomore year in high school, I was called to the vice principle's office. Since this was considered a private school, a Jesuit HS, facial hair wasn't allowed, and I had a mustache. So I was given a Gillette Flair Tip and had to shave it off. And that's when my venture into shaving took place. On the plus side, I was the only student to have his school ID picture with a mustache.

4. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

14 years old and Sophomore year. My father has always used an electronic razor and he got me a Norelco for my 14th birthday. I never liked shaving until I got my first straight at 43 years old. I got my first safety razor shortly after.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jtspartan, Tdmsu, brit and 2 others like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

How many years were you in the 6th grade, Danny? It was probably one of those years. :D

BamaT, jtspartan, brit and 3 others like this.
  6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

11 and the 6th grade. I shaved about once every 3 weeks.

7. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Can’t remember.
    I know I was shaving by the time I finished college but I can’t remember if I shaved during high school. Probably not much at all.

BamaT, brit and Hembree like this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Pictures...:eatdrink013:

BamaT, brit, jimjo1031 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Primotenore

Article Team
    15/1971
    My 18 year-old girlfriend :signs136: and I were making out and she said: "You need to shave". 'Nuf said. :sexe:

BamaT, jtspartan, Droo78 and 3 others like this.
  10. Hembree

:happy102:

:taunt002:

Droo78, wristwatchb and brit like this.
  11. myles wilson

funny story!

12. myles wilson

WOW

brit and Hembree like this.
  13. myles wilson

:happy097:

MR41, brit, Primotenore and 1 other person like this.
  14. Hembree

Joseph, I bet it did not take you long to get some shaving gear rounded up. :D

15. Primotenore

Article Team
    Nope.

Hembree, brit and myles wilson like this.
  16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

wish I still had it.............

Hembree, brit and myles wilson like this.
  17. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Sorry, but that information is lost in the mists of time. All I can say for sure is that it was the better part of a century ago.

18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I had light fuzz and needed to shave the upper lip and chin, once a week, in high school, maybe a little patchy on the cheeks too. Not enough to brag about, but enough to laugh about. Mid 20's I could grow a mustache, but it was reddish blonde. The rest started to thicken. At 28-55, with my job, beards were forbidden, and I could only grow facial hair out for 2 weeks at a time, on vacation, and it just looked really scruffy. Since last year, I was allowed to grow a beard, and did, a couple of times. It comes in, really thick, and full, but with some grey on part of the chin area.. This late blooming growth is typical with my family heritage of being Czech. Well, half Czech.
    My 22 yr old son tries to sport a mustache/beard, but it only looks like Joe Dirt. I keep telling him to be patient.

jtspartan, Droo78, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

13-7th grade, my legs needed it. By the time I was 13, I had hit 5’6”, so that was a lot of real-estate to learn on.

BamaT, Enrico, brit and 4 others like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm going tio say 15 and thus a H.S. sophomore.

brit and myles wilson like this.