November 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Oct 31, 2020.

?

Will you participate in NOV-ember (no shave month)?

1. Absolutely! Jeremiah Johnson here I come.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, my daily shaves are too important to my well-being.

19 vote(s)
    70.4%
  3. Who is Jeremiah Johnson?

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Only if I can get some cookies as a reward.

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Cookies? Did someone say cookies?

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

Thank you, Joe...Have a great day too.:cool:

PLAla, Hembree, jgreenepa and 4 others like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

That's an interesting pamphlet, Gary. Adjusting the blade angle with the handle screw is not commonly advised these days. Some have had bad experiences from not securing the blade properly. For that reason, I always check to make sure the screw is tight. In doing so, I am overlooking a design feature in my vintage Gillettes.

The pamphlet did not suggest multiple passes, and it recommended shaving in whatever direction worked best. That implies that it would be considered OK to shave ATG on the first pass if the user felt comfortable doing so. I think that's great advice. That's different than Gillette's current advice using cart razors of always shaving WTG.

The pamphlet didn't expressly advocate the use of no pressure, but it sure looked like the man in the diagram was using a feather-lite touch. And I also didn't know I could burn the used blades in my stove. :)

Overall, it's not surprising how little the basic advice for a great shave has changed in the past century. Thanks for sharing!

jtspartan, PLAla, JACarbone and 10 others like this.
  3. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

The original Gillette blade disposal bank...

[​IMG]

PLAla, JACarbone, Hembree and 7 others like this.
  4. wristwatchb

Nice score, Andrew! Arko is one of the best values in traditional shaving. $40 will purchase a Gillette Super Speed, 100 Voskhod blades, an Omega boar, and a few sticks of Arko. Stop by the mall, get a free dab of moisturizer & a squirt of cologne, and use the money left over for a cone of ice cream.

I've never seen a dozen sticks for $9. Where did you find that deal?

jtspartan, PLAla, JACarbone and 9 others like this.
  5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, gentlemen!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PLAla, Hembree, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  6. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

It's an Amazon Prime deal this weekend (Prime membership required). I just checked and it is still active.
    Here's the link:
    12 Arko Shaving Sticks

jtspartan, PLAla, JACarbone and 8 others like this.
  7. wristwatchb

Thanks Andrew. I appreciate it!

PLAla, JACarbone, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

i believe the handle adjusting part is for old type razors that only used the 3 hole blades.no mention of it from 1930 ish onwards when the modern gillette blade/new series razors were introduced..

PLAla, Edison Carter, Hembree and 7 others like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

:D

PLAla, Hembree, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  10. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

:happy088:

And what you said earlier about the supplies you can buy for $40 is very true. That was my first intention (saving money) when I switched to traditional shaving. :D
    I just keep telling myself that's what I am doing...

11. dvdhviid

dvdhviid Well-Known Member

I am not missing!
    Aside from my Less (vs no) Shave November, I wound up COVID quarantined for two weeks and so let myself go, get scruffy, no attention to bad shaves or whatever.
    My Dad's Sr. home has an out break, and kids in my teacher wife's class had covid, so we both wound up housebound for two weeks and socially distancing from eachother in our own home . But we are fine, and COVID free.
    However one of my Dad's (Sr) friends did not make it, and I have a close friend in an induced coma on breathing tubes and machines that is touch and go, so I don't mind just having to stay home a bit and wear a mask when I'm out.

However overall I learned to not be so fixated every time on being BBS, esp if pressed for time. I'd even let my head go a day sometimes.
    My favourite face-only razor, for a perfectly acceptable WTG one pass is my Colonial General. For my head it's a bit wide, a narrower DE does better.
    My pref for a fast head shave for a near BBS, DFS one pass ATG is was RazorRock BBS or Above the Tie (open comb slant) S2. The S1 would not do it, Others felt too rough to use ATG first pass and I'd have to do two, XTG ATG.
    Sometimes I'd use my Rex Ambassador, which can do anything depending on the setting, but the RR-BBS or CG have NO blade feel despite being efficient, which I like.

Coming up November, I'm going to learn Straight technique with an AC shavette and straight also PIF'd by a member here, Thanks so much.
    I've cut my finger, already.
    Also I found my PIF open comb gift out still in the envelope under the seat of my car, so sorry for the person waiting, it will go out, as I though it had. Concussion brain.

jtspartan, PLAla, JACarbone and 11 others like this.
  12. wristwatchb

I'm glad you're back! I'm very sorry to hear of all the COVID-related bad news and also glad that your immediate family is healthy.

I saw a friend this morning on Zoom that is recovering from COVID. He was released yesterday from the hospital, and he is receiving supplemental oxygen at home. It was great to see him, but it was all he could do to say hello.

It will be fun to follow your shaves with the AC shavette. Just remember, it's for your mug, not your fingers. ;)

dvdhviid, jtspartan, PLAla and 9 others like this.
  13. dvdhviid

dvdhviid Well-Known Member

That is also how I wound up with a lifetime supply of Arko a while back . I wound up putting into tube dispensers and giving some away. Still have lots left though.

14. brit

brit in a box

glad you are well,hope your friend gets better soon..:)

PLAla, Hembree, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

monday sneak peek..
    20201129_094024_edi.jpg

jtspartan, PLAla, JACarbone and 8 others like this.
  16. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

David, I am glad you and your immediate family are back in good health.

PLAla, Hembree, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  17. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

@dvdhviid David, glad you are all ok. Congrats on embarking into the adventures of straight/shavette shaving. May I suggest going to the thread Straight Razor and Shavette Guide for Newbies. I started the thread with the knowledge that I obtained from open blade shaving. Other members also have offered their insights as well. I know that it will give you a better foundation to begin using your straight and shavette. The thread would be under the Forum Category- Straight Razors. Hit the link and hit page 5. You will see the title Straight Razor and Shavette Guide for Newbies on that page. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    dvdhviid, PLAla, JACarbone and 9 others like this.
  18. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

:cool:

dvdhviid, PLAla, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  19. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

Tuxedos are superb knots!

PLAla, brit, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  20. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

Floppy for my taste. Nowhere near the backbone of my Yaqi Tuxedo!

Droo78, PLAla, brit and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.