December 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Nov 30, 2020.

?

What are your shaving plans for December?

1. I will break out my most decadent gear and really have at it.

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. I am going to mix it up, shaving with whatever suits my fancy.

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. I am going to adhere to the 30 Day rule.

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. December is my month to focus on one particular piece of equipment.

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. I am going to look for the BEST Christmas cookie recipe.

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dvdhviid

dvdhviid Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I did my first face shave with the Feather AC folding SE last night, but I think I'd better review the articles and videos before I do it again.

JACarbone, MrEE, Hembree and 10 others like this.
  2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Love the song by the Beach Boys Paul. However, it was a birthday party for my friend, strawhat Frank. His wife Valerie is seated across from him with that beautiful smile. They moved to a town NW of Charlotte North Carolina 2 yrs ago. Eventually, I will make my way down to see them because my nephew and his wife live 30 min from them. The rest of the women I knew from Christian singles groups. I met the man sitting across from me for the very first time. He was going out with my blonde friend, Luanne. The dark-haired woman seated next to me is a CPA. She had a little crush on me, but I wasn't interested in her. I prefer petite women. Anyway, it was at a nice Mexican restaurant and we all had a great time.

JACarbone, Hembree, jtspartan and 8 others like this.
  3. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

What's the issue with Dickinson's? Smell? Performance?
    I use it everyday, but I've used Thayers and Equate in the past and do not see much difference between them.

JACarbone, Hembree, jtspartan and 8 others like this.
  4. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Wow, I am amazed how quickly the posts fly into this thread.

December 1st shave is done. I keep a beard in the winter since retiring from the Army National Guard in 2017, so I don't have as much to shave, although cheeks have always been the easy part. I can't stand to let my neck go unshaven.

So, today's shave:

Solingen straight that was part of a set Glen was selling. It is the only one that I had professionally honed. It is one of my favorites. I only wish I had the extra funds to purchase the set.

Sterling Christmas Eve, so good that I have used it year round. Not only does it perform well, but the scent is fantastic.

A special brush that was made for me by a member of another forum. It is a boar knot and does a great job of making lather. I absolutely love wood brushes (and woodworking - the picture of Charlie's friend's cherry table).

I have a Boker on the way, but I will keep using this setup for the month and start off the new year with the Boker.[​IMG]

Chris - enjoying learning, whatever the subject

JACarbone, MrEE, Hembree and 13 others like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

:happy102:

jgreenepa, 9nein9, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I didn't know the Boys did that too....I heard the Jan&Dean version(course the two groups worked together a lot).

jgreenepa, PLAla, lightcs1776 and 4 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

smell i think.the thayers astringent is quite pleasant..:)

jgreenepa, PLAla, Droo78 and 3 others like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

fine shave and pic Chris.:cool:.yes we yak a lot here..;)

jgreenepa, PLAla, lightcs1776 and 3 others like this.
  9. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

What your thoughts Gary @brit ?
    I don't think I am going to polish it up. If I can get a little patina on it I think it will match up pretty good. Handle screwed on with no problem.
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg IMG_20201201_172008535.jpg

10. brit

brit in a box

aahh,,:)..you'll get there..

dvdhviid, jgreenepa, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

looks fantastic:cool:.i polished mine so it would match closer and then let them age evenly .but it won't take long..do you like the weight?

JACarbone, jgreenepa, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Stinky. I prefer Thayer's. I know...I'm weird.

JACarbone, jtspartan, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'lll bet the Christmas Eve scent is similar to that of Coniferous.

JACarbone, MrEE, jgreenepa and 6 others like this.
  14. Primotenore

Article Team
    Is that a Karve razor cut up?

PLAla, clint64, Trigger and 3 others like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

old type..

Hembree, jgreenepa, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  16. Primotenore

Article Team
    Good post Chris. Nice to have you here.

MrEE, Hembree, PLAla and 5 others like this.
  17. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thank you, Gary. I must have missed a few posts.

Hembree, PLAla, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

:)..

Hembree, PLAla, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  19. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Gillette Old Type head modified for 1/2 DE blade.

20. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Yes, you will shed blood, but in time, you will get it down. You just need patience. I would look at straight razor videos and see their technique. You will have to learn how to use your non-dominant hand I would practice the moves with a butter knife so you can develop muscle memory. Aftewards, I would suggest to only shave your cheeks because it is the flattest part of the face and the easiest area to shave. You will get a better feel as to how a straight razor works by only doing the cheeks. Stop right there, and finish the shave with your usual razor. Do this for a few shaves. In the meantime, you need to know how your beard grows. What is direction is with the grain, across the grain and against the grain? You do this by letting your beard grow for a few days so you can visually see and feel the growth pattern. This is important because you want to prevent irritation by going against the grain first. After the first pass, you can go acrose the grain and finally against the grain. Once you get comfortable shaving your cheeks with the grain, then you can do your neck with the grain. Finish with your usual razor. Keep moving forward until you are able to do a whole face shave with a straight. Eventually, you will get great results without using a safety razor to do any pickups. It will take about 30 to 50 shaves to be comfortable and 100 to be proficient, but still not at the mastery level. Good luck and please read the thread that I recommended. Also, I would suggest the youtube channels of Anthony Esposito, Adventures in Wet Shaving (Eric Latta hosts), Lynn Abrams and GeoFatboy to watch their straight shaving technique. I strongly suggest to check Lynn Abrams straight razor first because he has been a straight shaver for over 30 years. Good luck.

JACarbone, dvdhviid, Hembree and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.