How's Your Day? Archives

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Shep, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. micah1_8

micah1_8 Poor Heartless Prevert

I hope there's a special corner in hell for virus writers.

2. micah1_8

micah1_8 Poor Heartless Prevert

This just may be the droid you've been looking for...

[​IMG]

3. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Amen, +1,000,000,000,000XPi

too many comments, too much restraint :D

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Yup... but I thought I was looking for droids... So where is the other one?

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I have read the first three books of the Eragon Inheritance seriesa and enjoyed them. My daughter is now in the middle of the series. The other day I saw Eragon paired with Seeker for $7 for both. I went ahead and purchased the DVD bundle. I want my money back. Terrible terrible movie rendition of a book. If I had watched the movie first, I would never have read the book.

6. CraigarTA

CraigarTA Member

Burned out looking for work and Unemployment doesn'y pay hardly anything :mad:
    Granted it is better than nothing

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

After hearing that I might consider reading the book(s). Movie was awful.

8. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Someone tried to get me to read the first of the series a while back. Struck me as an Anne McCafferty knock off. Specifically of the White Dragon. Then there was the movie and I haven't bothered with it since. I'm seriously reconsidering now that you recommend the books.

Ouch! Wish I could help you.

yep. haven't seen the movie but I have read lots about it.

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

When the books came out, they were being ready heavily by my students. So I started reading one to see what it was all about. I did the same thing with the Percy Jackson series. Mike, I don't know the book series you were comparing it with, but I know that a lot of people draw parallels with this series with LOTR and other fantasy novels. But then again, any novel that has anything from the common lore of the fantasy genre automatically gets labeled as a LOTR knock off. Considering that this book was written by a high school student while being home schooled, the book is quite impressive. However, don't expect anything too deep. The movie picked a handful of key events in the book and did hasty plot lines to get from A to B to C to end. A lot of in between stuff was completely changed. the actual key events were altered, the various species where quite different in the book, the characters had most of their persona ripped out in the transformation to screen. In the book the evil King actually never makes an appearance, and you don't even know if the shade is working with the King or a separate faction of evil until the very end. The book was much much better than the movie; however, again - don't expect a great book that is super deep in meaning or anything.

Even my 10 year old daughter hated the movie and complained about how it was an awful version of the book and that if they can't do a better job turning a book into a movie, they shouldn't bother. This brought us to an interesting discussion... how many movies actually are somewhat true to the original book? The original Harry Potter movie was fairly close. The Fellowship of the Ring was fairly close... Looks like I will be re-reading Tree Grows in Brooklyn and To Kill a Mockingbird to see if their movie renditions were accurate, because I really can't recall one way or another.

10. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Fellowship was only accurate on the parts they covered. I would have loved to See Tom Bombadill (SP?) on the big screen.

TKAMB was pretty accurate as I recall, but it's been a long time.

11. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Ahh... I forgot about that whole section missing from the movie. Yeah, I agree that part and barrow-downs would have been nice to see in the movie. However, in this case the entire film didn't suffer from awful editing when they were cut from the screen play.

Well... my work laptop just returned. They worked on it yesterday during my classes. Then they left, then the thing started randomly rebooting yesterday afternoon. So they took it and brought back another (old hard drive just moved over). So we will see how this one lasts. I know IT have a lot to work around and a lot of problems to attend to. I appreciate all the people like Jim and Micah do in the buildings. However, it is hard for me to have my computer worked on in the middle of class periods where I had planned on using it for powerpoint, smart remote review sessions, digital microscopy, etc.... Nothing like throwing everything out the window and winging it for the rest of the hour. Unfortunately, I don't have an overhead or any usable black board in my room. Again... not the IT tech's fault. It is just an annoying inconvenience of teaching with technology when the technology fails or is suddenly not available.

12. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Howdy fellas, I have yet another computer question for you guys. I need to replace a hard drive in the old Compaq Presario CQ60. I was looking at this one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011U65F2/?tag=thshde-20

Question is, how the heck do I find out if it is compatible? HELP PLEASE!!!

13. CraigarTA

CraigarTA Member

This day is much better. I turned in a application and was called the same day.
    I couldn't get to the phone in time. Changing the grand daughters diaper (yes I can still do it) and after seeing the caller ID my hopes where risen a whole lot

14. sol92258

as best as I can tell, it should be. Did a search on that computer model, it uses a SATA hard drive, which is what you've linked, so you shouldn't have any problems....shouldn't

15. sol92258

that's awesome to hear (errr, read?)!!!! :happy088

(and the job thing is good news, too; just hope you washed your hands first :D)

16. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

The CQ60 is a series of notebooks. Do you have a more specific model number? The drive you are looking at is SATA II, the question becomes will your CQ60 support SATA II or even SATA for that matter. Most Sata II drives will work with most SATA I adapters to my understanding. So, we just need to find out if that particular QP60 can use SATA.

Excellent... Hoping for the best for you!

17. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

My day is going well, thanks. Nice weather too

18. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

19. jfever311

jfever311 Active Member

Okay, here is what I did. We had an old HP Pavilion dv9740 with a busted screen. I took the HD out, switched the cases, and installed it in the Compaq. Now I need to find someone who can do recover the info from the busted HD. Any takers??

Course, even now there are still some issues with the whole thing. For example, the wireless feature will not come on. Other things are a bit off too, but I can live with it.

We have the MacBook now anyway.

20. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Someone say Bong????

Jason, Aeropress coffee isn't nearly as strong as espresso.

Also if you follow the directions with the aeropress you won't get a complete brew, it will be on the weak side, you need to use hotter water and infuse longer.
    The closest I have gotten to espresso w/o and espresso machine is the moka pot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.