More than one razor?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Frank Shaves, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Frank Shaves

Frank Shaves Well-Known Member

Hello all! Dumb newbie questions here! Right now I am using my new Wilkinson Sword DE safety razor and love it however I have just ordered a couple of vintage Gillette Tech razors and have a bid in on 1962 Gillette slim adjustable DE razor. I am wondering if you folks have multiple razors and why do you have them? Do you use them all on a regular basis rotating through them? Is it also a collecting thing? I am also wanting to collect vintage razors and would like to hear your reasons for keeping a collection of multiple razors.

Thanks!

Herm2502, b1hart, PLANofMAN and 3 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

hello Frank..:D.i love vintage gillettes as they are proven to be reliable and efficient DE blade holders since the end of straights.generations of happy shavers..fine shaves with todays stainless blades available,they are a solid investment in value and performance..:)

3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have three DEs, an open comb, an adjustable, and a military open comb that is only used on special occasions such as Veteran's Day. It is nice to try different razors. I have multiple SRs, partly because it is great to try a variety, but also because I don't have to hone often, since they get rotated.

Chris - enjoying learning, whatever the subject

b1hart, Frank Shaves and brit like this.
  4. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Some of us just like to collect different razors. I have about 85 right now. Do I use them all? Nope but I like to look at them, wonder about their histories and know that I'm preserving them

Aztecmike, b1hart, brit and 1 other person like this.
  5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Maybe 150 or so.

Why? Why??
    :happy102:

Daywalker, b1hart, brit and 2 others like this.
  6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

It's only an addiction if you go to the meetings

Aztecmike, b1hart, brit and 4 others like this.
  7. Frank Shaves

Ok now I won't feel so bad if I start collecting them. :signs021:

8. Frank Shaves

That's a nice way to look at it. Preserving old things is important nowadays with all this technology and futuristic gadgetry.
    I kind of like the idea of using vintage razors simply to try them out for fun. I look at old razors from the 30's and think that this is what my grandfather most likely used when he was a young man. Sadly growing up my father used an electric shaver. :eek:

jluc, b1hart and brit like this.
  9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Last count, 195.
    :D
    Some very unique, some common.
    But all shaved with, at one time or another.
    Some need special blades that have to be made from currently produced blades.
    Non are worth much, well maybe the 1905 double ring Gillette.
    Shaving with different razors is fun, interesting and good practice.

Well....

;)

tp

10. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

A Shave Den member who has gone ‘under the radar’ with an expanding family did an ‘EDRIO’ commitment one year. (every damn razor I own)

He shaved using a different tool every day He started January 1 and finished in late August if I recall.

How many razors is enough?
    Just one more.
    :cool:

11. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

I'm not a collector.
    After many years of testing, now I'm slowly down sizing my den.
    For me, trying on my face is the only way to find what is good for me.
    Shared experiences is a great option to understand what can be good ... but it's not the real thing.
    In this wetshaving universe, I've learned that there's only one rule always true: YMMV.

After experiencing all kind of shaving systems, most kind of geometry and blades, now I know what work best for me.
    My goal is to stay with the few shavers I love.
    For now they're less than a dozen ... so I've to find a new home for a couple of dozens more.
    :p

In selecting my favs, I adopted the one-in-one-out strategy some years ago.
    This was the main improvement.
    It helped a lot, in focus and economy.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Edison Carter, b1hart and brit like this.
  12. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Mostly a hobby / collector thing. But I don't keep razors I don't use, with the exception of a small few that are classics that my son might want someday. I have around 15 right now. I'm trying to cut that back to around 10, but I do have my eye on a couple of luxury razors I'm saving for.

13. Frank Shaves

Some great responses here! I am in the camp of..."if I don't use it I don't keep it".

If I buy a razor and I don't use it than I wouldn't keep it. I don't plan on amassing a huge collection but more like a select few to have around for different days. From my research I've read that those vintage tech razors offer a nice mild shave if used at the correct angle. This is what I'm aiming for.

14. paterfamilias

paterfamilias Member

I’m new to this, having started three months ago. I have about 30 straight razors, four of which are going to be holiday gifts. I have three in personal rotation: Reynolds Hollow
    Ground, Griffin Carbo-Magnetic, and Boker King Cutter. Others I shave with are to test the bevel and hone on gift razors. I have three Wade and Butchers, including a wedge, that I am restoring and expect to go into personal rotation. Yes, this is becoming a collector thing for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Terry, brit, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  15. Frank Shaves

I've only been using a DE razor for about 3 weeks but I have ordered 4 vintage razors. All Gillette. Three Tech razors and one grungy looking 50s TTO flare tip I found for cheap. I plan on trying to clean and polish the flare tip.

16. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Ditto. Have a handful of vintage razors and other items I remember from visiting my grandparents house. Dad was an electric shaver, or cheap disposables.

17. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I've got about 70 razors, DE and SE. One piece, two piece and three piece. Open comb and safety bar, fixed and adjustable. Why? Because I like their design and history. I shave with every one of them on a random rotation. I'd say it's just for the enjoyment of it all.

Herm

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have just a few collectibles, including birth-year razors for me & my husband. Other than that, I just have one for the house & one for travel. I have had others I wanted to try, but sold off, either because I just didn’t like them or found something else I liked better.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Terry, brit, Herm2502 and 1 other person like this.
  19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I just wanted one.........

of each. When the rad was in effect, I wanted off of all of them. Then some became difficult to acquire, some modern razors got expensive. So slowed my acquisition, but my collection remained over 100 or so.

Terry, brit, Herm2502 and 1 other person like this.
  20. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I like many here have lots of razors. I have something North of 30 razors. I lost count some time ago. I acquired them over about 4 years as I was getting to know shaving with a double edge after decades with a cart. Curiosity is what drove my purchases as I was always looking for a better shave than before. Now I feel I've bought all the razors I care to try and have stopped. And I now use essentially 4 different razors. That's it. The rest sit in a bin. My wife calls me a horder. I am just waiting for them to appreciate before I consider selling any. I think my first purchase after someone pif'd me my first double edge was a vintage pre-war Gillette Tech with the ball end handle. And at some point along the way I found that the most common razor made when I was born was the Gillette Slim Adjustable. So I now have 3 Slim Adjustables with a code H3. That represents the third quarter of 1962 when I was born. I find it to be an excellent razor. I think you'll like it when it arrives. Peace.

Edison Carter, brit and Frank Shaves like this.