What Manly Things Did You Do Today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Installed a new stereo in Ole Black Betty
    [​IMG]

DaltonGang, brit and BigMike like this.
  2. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Sweated a new brass ball valve on the pipe feeding the sprinklers outside. The gardener had put a PVC valve on a few years back and it failed last month. We found out about it when we opened our water bill this month and knew something was wrong.

stuartganis and Preacher like this.
  3. BigMike

Took my wife and her friend to the range today and taught them how to shoot an M1 Rifle. Paper targets at 100 yards and steel targets at 300 yards. They learned safety fundamentals, started developing good stock weld and sight picture technique, and both scored hits they could be proud of.

Ursa, Sara-s, J_Man and 2 others like this.
  4. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

Everything I do is manly!

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

efsk and Scott Strangfeld like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I took apart my ROOMBA to clean it. Then I put it back together, WITHOUT any parts leftover. After that, I made a batch of scouring powder from scratch.

Ursa, joamo and richgem like this.
  6. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

:happy088:

7. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

We had an ice storm early this morning so I got out and tossed salt on my drive and sidewalk and my neighbors (single woman taking care of her elderly mother).

BigMike, Ursa, 9nein9 and 2 others like this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Before the storm got here today, I did 30 miles in 25F / -6C on the bike this morning.

It took a while to feel my feet again.

newyearsday.jpg

BigMike, Ursa, Preacher and 3 others like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Brrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!
    It was 45 outside, this morning, and I decided to pass on the bike ride. That, and I am getting all full of excuses. In my youth, in college, I would bike in almost any weather, as long as it was above freezing 20-30 miles a day. Then go work out. Now I make excuses, and ride the bike at the gym instead.

PanChango likes this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Hahaha. I completely understand and regularly use those excuses. 45F is shorts and a long sleeve for me on the bike. :)

DaltonGang likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've been in Houston too long.

PanChango likes this.
  12. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

The coldest I ever have experienced was an early morning in February 1987 taking my bike to the work, -18F.. , 2.5 miles. Not that long but cold enough.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

PanChango, Enrico and DaltonGang like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I repaired a 22 year old GE microwave by replacing the magnetron. Not particularly difficult, but rather satisfying to save something that still runs like a top in this throw way society. Repaired for less than $28 ........ AWESOME! :happy108:

:eatdrink013:

14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I was wondering why the lights suddenly dimmed. ;)

15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Funny, in the first house my wife and I owned, they wired the house on so few circuits that if the microwave, coffee maker was in use and the refrigerator cycles on the breaker would pop. Later I re-wired the kitchen to be on 4 or 5 circuits (stove, microwave, lights, counter outlets and refrigerator).

Ursa, brit and richgem like this.
  16. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

My microwave is a GE that's approaching 40 years old. Yours is just barely broken in.

Having once been a culinary professional, I've often wished it were one of the Panasonic commercial microwaves I used at work. But I can't bring myself to replace something that works flawlessly.

My living room radio is a Philco 40-120. The 40 indicates the year it was built...1940. Had new capacitors and a couple of new tubes installed on it about 10 years ago. It's especially nice to use in the wintertime as it warms up the room a bit...

17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm all over the vintage items ..... as I sit here I'm listening to Al Jolson on a Newcomb EDT-15C (1970).

brit, BigMike and stuartganis like this.
  18. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Earlier today, I finally installed a replacement motherboard in my eMachines computer that died about three years ago. Found the exact replacement motherboard in eBay this past summer, brand new, for about US$15 and didn't have the time or energy to install it until today.

Glad to have my old friend back in service for just $15 and one can of elbow grease. It's old enough to run Windows Vista 32-bit to support all my vintage software and old peripherals and Amateur radio gear that require parallel and serial port connections, yet still has enough guts to run 64-bit Windows 10 and modern versions of 64-bit Linux. It's the one computer I own that can do everything I need a computer to do.

jaro and Enrico like this.
  19. BigMike

Loppers. Hand saw. Chainsaw. Woodchipper.
    (followed by ice pack, Aleve - I'm getting old)

Repeat next weekend.

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Have an antique enameled pitcher and cup, both that a red-orange color. Chipped but not eaten through. Found that Rustoleum Lobster Red is a 95% match, more than close enough. Happy with the results.

9nein9, Ursa, Sara-s and 2 others like this.