Scents in your shave routine

Discussion in 'Scents' started by arvanlaar, Jan 12, 2021.

?

Does your shave routine have a scent profile?

1. Scents are identical

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Scents are similar

17 vote(s)
    73.9%
  3. Scents are different

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. arvanlaar

arvanlaar New Member

Hey All,

When you do your shave routine and you have your combination of preshave, soap/cream, aftershave etc, if they are scented products do the scents of these products have any similarity?

For example, if you really like sandalwood, is everything you use sandalwood? Are the scents similar to the profile of sandalwood? Or are they completely different ie. Sandalwood soap but citrus aftershave?

I have a poll that I was hoping people would take and see how we all differ. Also in the comments, put your favored scent profiles as well so we can learn from each other's tastes :) My scents I use are not identical but similar. I use BS macca root cream and Nivea for Men aftershave.

Would love to see where this thread takes us.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. Silvestris

Silvestris Well-Known Member

Everything with the same scent would be rather boring, wouldn't it? I usually go for similar, but sometimes use things that smell very differently if I know or suspect the scents go together well.

3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I mix and match. In fact, I only have one soap that matches an AS, and nothing matches my colognes.

Chris - enjoying learning, whatever the subject

4. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I have over 35 Save Creams and a few Soaps, only a few are similar. I love the variety of the Scents available, but only when combined with quality creams and soaps.

Tobacco, Oud, Barber Shop, Sandalwood (There are many variances), Bay Rum, Many of the Root Scents, Seasoning Scents & Fruit Scents, are what I favor!

5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I will do same, similar, and/or complementary depending on what I have and what I feel like using.
    For example, all lime, lemon lime mix, or lime bergamot.
    Most vendors don’t offer everything (PSO/soap cream/witch hazel/aftershave/cologne/bath soap/talc/etc.) so I almost always have multiple brands.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I generally stick within a similar "family" of scents. Moss, leather, woods, vanilla, bergamot, lavender and ambers feature heavily in my bathing and shave routine. I usually reach for a "fougre" soap and a "Russian leather" or "bay rum" type cologne or aftershave.

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I like to match or complement

limes all the way through
    Bay Rum the whole way
    Sandalwood by

but then a sandalwood soap mixes nicely with a mild rose

I’ve often used two extremes of vetiver very earthy and Candy sweet, but both marked as vetiver.
    Orange mixes very well with most, as does lavender

one of the joys I’ve found with this hobby is the endless (seemingly) available scents and combinations.

8. brit

brit in a box

I would say similar..-sandalwoods,tobaccos,leathers etc for winter,aquatics for summer,neutrals when using some edt's..

9. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I like Bay Rum, Lavender, Marzipan, Citrus and Pine scents. I use the matching aftershaves with all of my soaps.

10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

aaaahhhh, another gent who appreciates the fact that lavender was originally a men's fragrance.

11. Paul Turner

May I interest you in the company AgadirInternational? All their products are oud(thus their "signature scent"). I'm still enjoying the aftershave. (The company does mens and womens products).

Ijustmissedthe50s and Trigger like this.
  12. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I don't buy sets of soaps and aftershaves. I just have a bunch of soaps and creams that I like and aftershaves that I like. So, none that are identical. That said, let's say I use Stirling Lime soap for my shave. I'll follow it with Pinaud Clubman Lime Sec. If the soap or cream is citrusy in general such as TOBS Eton College, I'll follow it with a citrusy aftershave such as the Lime Sec or Citrus Musk. If I use a heavier sent for my shave like a Sandalwood or a Barber Shop type scent, then I'll go with something heavier like Pinaud Clubman or RazoRock Blue Barbershop. I'm not too anal about it because after my final pass of shaving I'll rinse my face with cold water. I'll then apply alum and rinse with cold water again and then dry my face. I'll then apply witch hazel. After all that there won't be much scent remaining from my shave. So I can reasonably use whatever aftershave I want with no worries about scents overlapping or competing with one another.

13. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

My scent profiles tend to be based on seasons. In the summer I prefer citrus scents so my soap would be Fine Accoutrements Italian Citrus and their matching aftershave or Clubman Lime Sec. Fall would be something more barbershop or outdoors like VDH Deluxe paired with Whiskey Woods or even Pino Silvestre. Winter is for warmer/spicy scents like Cella shave soap paired with a Bay Rum. Spring is more floral/fresh so A&E Kaizen croap or Gillett Pure shave cream in the tube with Clubman Classic or Lilac Vegital if I am feeling brave.

So that pretty much covers the year. I have pretty much boiled everything down to this over time. I have always had a rule that I can not have any more shave stuff than I can fit in the shave den (see avatar) at any one time.

I will probably not replace the Kaizen when I am done with it (big disappointment) and just use the VDH instead.

Tedolph

14. Paul Turner

When it comes to tobacco, I am more a LEAF man then a stronger scent.

15. Paul Turner

IS the survey question still alive? It appears SIMILAR is walking away with this one(unless it already WON).

16. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

The scents in my shave routine is generally similarly scented products. Most often if I have the matching aftershave and soap I’ll use them together, but more frequently I’ll match soap and aftershave from different makers if they have a similar scent profile.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  17. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

It has become a sore point for me that alot of my soaps do not have matching balms/ aftershaves. I try to use scents that pair enough with them but in some cases it doesnt always work out. But in the end i have too many soaps and too many aftershaves that i will just work around.

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My shampoo smell different than my
    'stache shampoo, that smells different than my
    Shower soap, that smells different than my
    Shave soap, that smells different than my
    Aftershave, that smells different than my
    Cologne, that smells different than my
    'Stache oil, that smells different than my
    Pit stick.

All said and done, my wife always tells me I smell good :love029: