What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Another fine looking Filarmonica, Steve. What's the head count on those, in your collection? Just curious.

2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

About a dozen Scott, but about half are user grade or ‘cosmetically challenged’, lol.

Billyfergie, TestDepth and DaltonGang like this.
  3. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Puma kitty’s have a special place in the den

NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR S.R.A.D.

2E0D9B0F-8C30-46E4-8F64-21837E930BCD.jpeg 97FE8F6B-D6D3-426B-9400-07DAA449FE9D.jpeg 6D0C6E8E-0E53-43D9-A2DA-DFB353BF6474.jpeg

4. DaltonGang

Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Just foolin’ around with a blue-green asagi that I got a while back which never seemed really the best. I did M-10 with worn 1200 Atoma slurry and M-11 was done with a tomo nagura. The HHT from both was better than I remembered, so on to the shave tomorrow.

28988546-0FED-41C9-B461-C41338AA8AD1.jpeg

6. DaltonGang

F.W.Engels
    Extra Hollow
    Solingen Germany

This was a restoration project, I had finished a while back, and just got around to honing.
    These F.W.Engels are a joy to hone. Straight as an arrow, ultra thin blade, about as thin as they come, and they take on a wicked edge. This one was honed on Welsh Slate Stones, with Nagura slurry stones. The Naguras speed the Welsh stones up, considerably. The razor had the final finish on this fine Eschers Thuringian, that @Billyfergie helped me acquire, and advised on how to use it. I held it under a slight trickle of water, in my palm, and did the lightest 30-40 strokes. It brought out a mirror polished bevel. After taking it to the strops, it is as sharp as it can get, and will pass the HHT anywhere on the blade, root in, or out, as soon as the hair makes contact.

P1031480.JPG

7. DaltonGang

Charlior
    E.M.D.E.
    Made in Germany for the French
    1/2 Hollow

This one was a restoration project, a while back. The edge initially had a lot of work done to it, to bring it back, straight. So, the honing was started with a squared off edge, no hint of a bevel. the blade itself if straight, and very well built.
    I brought out a Pre-Bevel, with the Norton 320/1000 combo stone. It took a while. This razor has some very very hard steel, like Swedish Silver Steel. It even looks and feels like Swedish Steel when on a hone. After the bevel was set, The Welsh Slate Stones, and Naguras brought on a nice edge. The final finisher was this Eschers Thuringian, acquired with the help of @Billyfergie . It took on a fantastic edge in the end, that silently destroys any hair it touches. It is a Half Hollow blade, and heavy. It should be great for using after I go several days without a shave.

P1031481.JPG

Some of the scrolled spine work, that can eat up a Russian Strop, if not careful. Looks great, but beware.
    P1031482.JPG

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  8. DaltonGang

Lakeside Cutlery Co.
    "Army and Navy"
    Montgomery Wards sold these

Another ignored restoration job. This was a easy one to hone, but a little harder than the FWE. It took on a beautiful edge. The blade is straight as an arrow, without flaws. The Welsh Slate Stones and Naguras, were the finishers, and the final finisher was the Eschers Thuringian, acquired with the help of @Billyfergie . A wonderfully sharp edge is the result, from toe to heel.

P1031483.JPG

9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

How are the shaves Scott? Excellent I would suspect!

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  10. DaltonGang

I'm going to take one for a spin tonight. Any suggestions??

lottenhem, Billyfergie and Steve56 like this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Nope, just do the usual shave. If the stone/edge is exceptional, you’ll know it pretty quickly.

Billyfergie likes this.
  12. DaltonGang

I meant razor suggestions.

Billyfergie likes this.
  13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

This one is for Scott, @DaltonGang - a Thuri/jnat comparison. The razors are the ones I used in the above comparison, so they were already shave-ready edges, just from a different stone.

The jnat is one of my favorites, unknown mine but makes an incredibly smooth edge. Razor M-10 got 2 sets of 20 circles and ellipses on light slurry, followed by 25 linear strokes and 10 clear water strokes. Razor M-11 got the same minus the clear water jnat strokes, and was finished with 30 clear water strokes on a 10 x 2 Thuri, an Escher according to knowledgeable Thuri people because Escher was the only company that cut them this size - they were for the US market. The bevel was shinier than the jnat bevel.

Both tested great with HHT root in or root out, though I believe the jnat is a little keener/sharper, but not by much. This jnat doesn’t always HHT test as well as some others, but there’s no denying the smooth edge that it makes so it seemed like a good one to throw at the thuri.

Shave tomorrow, should be fun.

8DAA324E-1E2D-4C10-928A-256821FEEC14.jpeg

14. DaltonGang

Both fine looking stones. I'm very interested in your findings.

lottenhem likes this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Testing a stone from Takeshi, not really a kiita as advertised (more green than yellow), but a very pleasant light green and a full sized stone at a reasonable price. It’s a very easy to use hardness, not so hard. The test Filly was finished on medium slurry, a little thicker than I usually use, to kind of feel out how fine it is. The shave was very smooth, and just slightly ‘hot’ on some parts of my face, but the important thing is that the smoothness was there. Next up, a little thinner slurry and/or clear water finish.

E2B96E10-3D36-4569-BF89-72CE62587145.jpeg

16. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

New acquisition. 5/8" vintage Trusteel.

raz1.jpg raz2.jpg raz4.jpg

17. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Latest quadruple to be honed and stropped:
    EDV Neiström, Eskilstuna Sweden
    Jernbolaget, Eskilstuna Sweden
    Stille, Stockholm Sweden
    Shizu Saburo, Japan
    I have also modified the Shizu by rounding the end tip slightly to prevent cuts... been there, done that
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

18. Claude Stewart

This one today. Satinedge Double Duck I just recently received. She turned out to be quite a beauty.

D9171993-C240-4BE3-9713-8EA9B1129852.jpeg

19. Claude Stewart

Just finished a light refurbish and a thorough hone of this Warren Velvet Touch by F.W. Engels.

fw1.jpg fw2.jpg
    fw3.jpg

20. DaltonGang

Billyfergie likes this.