Down the rabbit hole...

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Bearded Headshaver, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Bearded Headshaver

Bearded Headshaver New Member

Hi everyone! A newbie to the wet shaving hobby...have acquired a Ming Shi 3000, a Parker Variant, a dscosmetic stainless T7 and waiting for a 66 Gillette Slim that I bought on Ebay. Living in Thailand limits my purchasing power due to customs duties and postage rates but trying the best to get quality soaps, I make my own beard oils and butters and balms, the oils are good preshave products and am considering making my own soaps. Just received a variety back of 16 different de blades from amazon, so abusing my skull to finger the best combos for the perfect head shave...lol.
    Looking forward to discussions on shaving and collecting all the great things about the hobby!

Trigger, wristwatchb, b1hart and 2 others like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Trigger likes this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

One thing I would recommend with soaps get a few different hair types of brushes. Depending the consistency of the soap certain hair brushes make better lather than others. You have stiff hair brushes like Boar and more soft haired like Badger. Horse hair brushes are somewhere inbetween and recommended if you are vegan and/or animal cruelty free type of person. You also have synthetic hair brushes which tend to be super soft like nylon and other materials.

Unless there is import issues Yaqi which are Chinese made have some good cheap options except for horse hair brushes. Horse hair the biggest maker of those that I know of are the Vie Long brand brushes made out of Spain.

Soaps, stuff like Arko and Proraso you should be able to source locally or through a pacific rim marketplace equivalent to Rakuten in Japan without paying crazy import and shipping fees.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Trigger likes this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Trigger likes this.
  5. Manumik

Manumik Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Trigger likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Trigger likes this.
  7. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Welcome to TSD!

Trigger likes this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

Trigger likes this.
  9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

Trigger likes this.
  10. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome from Alabama the Heart of Dixie!

Trigger likes this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    One and done?

Trigger and Enrico like this.
  12. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Welcome to TSD!