January 2021 30 Day Rule/30 Day Focus Pic and Discussion Thread- All are Welcome

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Primotenore, Dec 31, 2020.

?

What's your 2021 Shaving Resolution?

1. I am going to finally finish up some shave gear.

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. I am undertaking a No-Buy 2021.

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I am going to finally complete a 30 DAY RULE.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. I am going to complete a 30 DAY FOCUS.

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. You all can do what you want, I am going to focus on cookies.

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

20210120_220915.jpg
    Great shave this morning but I have some figuring out to do on the aluminum Hawk V2.

The Yaqi Dandelion whipped up the Col. Conk Lime with no problem. Bill @Edison Carter inspired me to break out the Conk this morning. I find most Glycerin soaps to be close in performance and this soap reminds me of Imperial shave soap with a scent.

So what is up with the V2? Tuggy on the first pass. I was about 3/4 through with the first pass and I took the blade out of the V2 and put it in the stainless steel V3 solid bar. I finished the first pass and completed a second pass with the V3. Smooth sailing and very comfortable. I then switched back to the V2 on the third pass.....better but not as smooth as the V3. So what gives? I don't know but I have excluded the blade from the equation. While driving to work it struck me that the safety bar on the V2 has a squared edge and the V3 is rounded. Could I be feeling the safety bar and thinking it is the blade being tuggy? I'll revisit this situation in the near future and get it nailed down.

Overall it was a great shave. Finished it off with some American Tobacco by Andy Hilfiger.

Have a great day gentlemen!

2. palmolive fox

palmolive fox The British Birdman

Thank you Jeff.:)..Technique definitely trumps tools!..However, it's down to individual choice what shaving tools people choose to use.:cool:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    JACarbone, Hembree, brit and 4 others like this.
  3. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

No, I have the ceramic container. :cool:

4. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Great pic and thoughts. Have a great day Danny !

JACarbone, Hembree, brit and 4 others like this.
  5. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Interesting shave! I used to have the same experience, Danny, with both razors! I stopped using the V2. Sounds like you’re well on the way to a solution. Enjoy your day! :cool:

JACarbone, brit, jluc and 3 others like this.
  6. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Thanks Jeff. I really love the shave with the V3. The V2 was just plain uncomfortable even with the same blade. I'll spend some more time with it and see if I can get it figured out. Take care.

JACarbone, brit, jgreenepa and 3 others like this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I realize that, but I'd rather prepare for a possible end now than having everything (my thoughts and plans)dumped on me, forcing me to end it. Like I said yesterday, I'm not worried about it right now, though....still have strong hopes.

JACarbone, Hembree, brit and 6 others like this.
  8. Paul Turner

Fine Throwback Thursday shave this morning. 0:25 to load the Stoylin No-Name brush. Nice routine sweeping motion, I think due to the combination of the Dial 4 Men Bodywash(prep)and the shavesoap. Began a little on the moist side,, but dried out as I progressed with the 1st pass. All areas done real well. 2nd pass created a couple of Knicks-actually, I should say one of them was a "Knick-Cut" as I felt the "speed bump" I drove over. No major concern with them. The first happened on S. Porcupine Alley, the next just below the jawline on the right(N.W. Cactus Nation). All else was good. The cold-water rinse helped out with the cuts. Same for the Stephan Bay Rum A.S. which was applied a little too strong at first, but has now settled down to the cleanliness and softness it always provides.. Most Excellent for this one.

9. Paul Turner

That would make it tricky for you to do an NB I bet, right Danny?

JACarbone, Hembree, jgreenepa and 5 others like this.
  10. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Very nice shave and deduction Danny!

JACarbone, Hembree, jgreenepa and 4 others like this.
  11. Trigger

I thought so. I could be wrong, but the Tabac shavestick might not be as offensive.

JACarbone, Hembree, jgreenepa and 3 others like this.
  12. Trigger

Great shave Paul!

13. Paul Turner

Thank you Joe....it really is something how aftershave that goes on with force eventually softens.

14. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Can't beat Most Excellent, have a good one Paul !

JACarbone, Hembree, jgreenepa and 5 others like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Thank you Dave...you do the same. Actually Most Excellent is third from the top rank, so it CAN be beat. But thank you for the good spirits(and I ain't talkin wine).

Hembree, jgreenepa, brit and 4 others like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :eatdrink013:

JACarbone, Trigger, Hembree and 6 others like this.
  17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hey all!
    Like to say hi to everyone and know I'm still alive and well.
    Hope everyone is ok and doing fine!!
    Covid came through here a few weeks ago but no biggie so far. Me probably already had it so, no issues, the kids and grandkids had no issues.
    As the song goes " I woke up still not dead again today!
    I've been using my Devette and Sevette razors only occasionally going to another of my 100+ razors.
    Its hard to use a less capable razor after you've used the best.
    No pictures today as I sit in the dentist chair waiting on things to finish.

Good luck all and have a great day!!!

Be back in soon as possible.

tp

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

This knot is the best I have tried by a wide margin.

Thank you Joe. Have fun with the kids.

Thank you Jeff. Take care and be safe.

JACarbone, Trigger, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  19. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

January 21st
    DSCosmetic Z0/ Rapira SS (2)
    APShave SynBad/Poculi
    Stirling Autumn Glory combo
    Thayers
    31DE32E8-DEFE-44B9-9919-C6DD40E1DB2F.jpeg
    Another good result with the Z0 this morning. I’m keeping this razor for sure. Is it a daily driver? Only if you want to be really focused on your shave technique every morning. Want to let your mind wander a bit? Grab a NEW LC instead...
    The Rapira blade seemed tired on the 2nd day, much as it did with the Gillette it was in last week. To me, there is a bit of a gap between some of the Rapira blades. The SharpStar and Platinum Lux (and maybe even the Swedish Supersteel) are much preferred to Voskhods and these Stainless. I didn’t pull out the Ladas for the focus as I’ve never enjoyed them. Love the scent of this soap & splash as well. One of Stirling’s best original scents, imho. Onto a SE my wife got for me at Christmas for the next several shaves, methinks.
    Have a great day all!

20. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I only had the stick, so can’t compare to the tub, but the scent was quite strong in the stick still.

JACarbone, Trigger, Droo78 and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.