Sorghum Syrup

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by BamaT, Feb 15, 2021.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Anyone else here like sorghum syrup? I love it!

battle.munky and jbr63 like this.
  2. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

It's not to bad. I find the stuff I've had to be a bit bitter but that's just me.

BamaT likes this.
  3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

My FIL was nuts about it, I prefer honey to most syrups.

BamaT likes this.
  4. Scott Strangfeld

Scott Strangfeld Well-Known Member

I use it once in a while instead of molasses. We actually have a small sorghum farm about 35 miles from us where they process and have fresh stuff in the fall. They have days on the farm when you can go and watch how it is processed.

BamaT likes this.
  5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

When it’s bitter or perhaps too strong, most likely it was cooked too hot or for too long. The best sorghum syrup I’ve ever had was purchased from the Great Smoky Mountains Association, which is provided by Muddy Pond Sorghum Mill in Tennessee, a family run farm. I talked to one of the family members in Cades Cove during a syrup making demonstration using a horse to turn the mill, while the juice was cooked down on top of a wood fired stove. They really have the process down, in terms of how much juice is required, how hot to run their stove, and how long to cook it. He also told me he believes the soil at their farm produces a superior sorghum cane.

I’m sure there are other good producers around. But if anyone wanted to try Muddy Pond they have a website, plus it’s also available through Great Smoky Mountains Association.

https://www.muddypondsorghum.com/

https://www.smokiesinformation.org/food

I’m not associated with either one, I just enjoy the product!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    battle.munky likes this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Have not had sorghum syrup, but do enjoy sopping biscuits in cane molasses with butter and peanut butter chopped together.

7. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

I grew up eating sorghum on crumbled up corn bread as a desert after a good ol’ country supper :eatdrink020:!!!

Ksblazer, BamaT and Hembree like this.
  8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

We always had it over buttered biscuits. Now I like it drizzled over some buttered toast, with eggs scrambled soft with fresh peppers, especially cowhorn and banana pepper, but most any pepper will do. I’m not a vegetarian, but I really don’t need bacon or sausage with this breakfast. Pretty tasty as is!

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  9. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I had it growing up as a kid. My Mom's side of the family liked it. I still do.

Can't find it to save my life at the grocery store's around here. So I have to buy it on Amazon now.

BamaT and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Check out the links I shared above. I think I’ve seen Muddy Pond on Amazon as well. Truly the best sorghum syrup I’ve had.

Ksblazer likes this.