What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Modded Gold Dollar 208 fresh off the sharpening stone, 60 laps on Red Chrome-Ox and 60 laps on the strop. Veeeeeeery smooth double pass Cella shave from a warm lather bowl and hot towel pre-shave treatment. Slathered on the VIBR when all was said and done Cella resized.jpg and no burn whatsoever!

Tedolph

2. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Saturday morning, Klas Törnblom. Very narrow and handy razor.
    [​IMG]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Saturday Straights' Shave
    [​IMG]

Cold Water Rinse
    Jeff's Soap
    Jayaruh #419 2-band Badger
    H. Böker 5/8
    CWR
    Florida Water

Jeff's Soap was lathered well with the Jayaruh #419 2-band Badger brush. Two passes and touch ups with the H. Böker 5/8 gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse I finished off with Florida Water. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yesterday’s shave, blue #2 and Savonnerie du Moulin 25%, bought as a souvenir at Planete Rasoir in Paris several years ago.The tin dents are from being beat up in shipping.

Today, user Novodur with some interesting notes. I’m testing some linen from Abbey England which is supposed to be the same linen that Westholme uses. The third image is courtesy of @Life2short1971 who is holding the Abney next to the Westholme. I had not intended to do a real edge longevity test with the Novodur, but I had a card taped on the wall next to the strop and just ticked off the shaves, today was #28 and the second shave stropping with the Abbey linen. One thing that I learned from the 153-shave Filly Sub Cero was that I could feel the difference in linens better with some ‘miles’ on the edge vs fresh off the stones.I could never tell a difference in the leathers!

Two shaves in, the edge was buttery smooth, better than maybe expected, but if I want to test the linen I’m going to have to standardize on a soap (SMN) and a brush for this razor.Scott’s experience one shave in is the same I think, and he’s more particular than I am, plus he has a Westholme for comparison.

DE46B842-ADFE-4141-B9D6-20C075F8BFAF.jpeg BE949010-0F44-449C-B39A-1E6BA625550B.jpeg DA60FB51-EE0E-440B-ACD3-05B7575558FA.jpeg

5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]

Saturday gotta go to Town [​IMG]
    Really good scent blend between the Barrister Spice sample (ty Ryan)
    and the Aqua Velva Musk
    Shave On !!!!

esvh, Billyfergie, DaltonGang and 4 others like this.
  6. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

Had a three day growth so, decided to go with a wide, heavy blade.

7/8 Muschel Double Hollow
    Taylor of Old Bond soap
    Parker Badger Hair
    Creed Royal Oud (Smell good for the wife!!) You know what I'm thinking!

muschel.jpg

muschel2.jpg

7. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

C.V. Heljestrand 14
    Suds: CRSW Puro Fresco
    Splash: Proraso Green
    Exported razor for the distributor E. Montagnac out of Buenos Aires.
    085B0775-FEB9-4A82-9334-6C20799127B8.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

8. lottenhem

That CVH must be an export model? Very nice model Tom. It seems that the broader blades was exported and we Swedes received the narrow ones

9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

According to Arne (Polarbeard), the Swedes thought that Magnus Kindal’s idea of wide blades was crazy, no one would buy such a huge blade. But M.K. persevered, and sold them through his shop in Paris and exported them. IOW, the Swedes did not want wide blades. Times change I suppose.

Beautiful blade Tom!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    esvh, Billyfergie, lottenhem and 3 others like this.
  10. TestDepth

Thank you both! :eatdrink047:
    I always thought this blade had an interesting background. Here is the backside tang showing the export destination:
    3F57D07C-03FE-4F0B-8394-54B6B6611B3F.jpeg
    But the twist to me is the German connection with Candidius (on the coffin). That mark seems to be Solingen, and I have seen some big blades under that mark.

It does tip the scales a little over 7/8, so the “14” size definitely is in play. Fun razor.
    Tom

esvh, Billyfergie, DaltonGang and 4 others like this.
  11. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Fine shave with the Saturday mini-Lund. I think the smaller size works best on a one day growth but the result on a two day beard is the same as a bigger blade. It’s just more enjoyable with the bigger blade when there’s heavier growth. :happy088:

Hot water massage
    Argan Oil PSO
    Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Badger
    Monsavon Au Lait
    Saturday mini-Lund 9/16
    Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel

5A970032-EB47-4A20-BFBB-A15DA5A8D897.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

12. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

February 20th

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements SS, ASB, AS/C - Astro Traveler
    Brad Sears Shave Works Disco w/Hybrid Badger
    Tanifuji Maxfli Gold

feb202021.jpg

esvh, Billyfergie, lottenhem and 8 others like this.
  13. lottenhem

The question is what the actual difference is between wide and narrow blades when it comes to shaving? I think that narrow blades is easier to handle. Though wider blades perhaps have a more “ masculine “ look .
    And I think that wider blades is a little bit easier by stropping.
    Hans

14. lottenhem

Saturday morning, EDV Neiström. Nice little all metal razor.[​IMG]

15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

TI Spartacus, soap was MdC lavender, and the always wonderful SMN lavender was a perfect compliment for a perfect shave.

9A01F999-1BFB-45CD-85A0-30EF98193D97.jpeg

esvh, Billyfergie, DaltonGang and 6 others like this.
  16. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

In my personal experience, narrow blades are easier to fit in tight areas like under the nose, yes, but I tend to find that they don't have the weight to effortlessly cut heavy beard without needing the user to "push" them through. With a wider blade, even full hollow, you can generally just let the weight of the blade, or "heft" if you will, carry it through. It is quite possible that the narrow blades I have used weren't quite honed to perfection, since I formed my opinions a long time ago when I couldn't hone worth a d**n, but I have not had an experience with a narrow blade since to change my mind. The other thing I don't like with narrow blades is that they have a disturbing propensity for wanting to roll forward of the stroke which I have to grip against. Consequently, I'm gripping much tighter than I should be and have less delicate control (and more tendency to cramp).
    Conversely, with a wide blade, as long as it isn't too heavy or hard to grip for another reason like lack of jimps, I find it much easier to maintain angle and hold it gently. I also don't really have any trouble under my beak. I come in diagonally from the sides and also do a gentle sweep from perpendicular to proper angle in order to get right up to the under-nose. Going a little slower and being mindful of pressure, this does the job just fine.

Just my 2 cents...

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

esvh, Billyfergie, lottenhem and 2 others like this.
  17. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

5/8 RED POINT;

I re-honed and stropped this one in hopes of a better and closer shave. I did the right thing. Very close shave with the use of Sir Rabbit Hare soap and a badger brush. A touch of cologne for effect.

red1.jpg

red.jpg

esvh, Billyfergie, DaltonGang and 5 others like this.
  18. lottenhem

Monday morning, CVH MK No. 31. Smooth shave.
    [​IMG]

esvh, DaltonGang, lightcs1776 and 5 others like this.
  19. TestDepth

Max Dorner 117
    Suds: CRSW Savon No. 1
    Splash: Dr Jon’s Flowers in the Dark
    723417FC-C5F1-4C3B-8DF0-D8B90696170C.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

esvh, DaltonGang, lightcs1776 and 6 others like this.
  20. taskind

taskind Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Have a good week

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

Jayaruh, esvh, DaltonGang and 8 others like this.