Watches - let's see 'em

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Aug 9, 2012.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Just arrived. An older, used Invicta Swiss quartz, slightly smaller then the one I recently purchased new. It's a little dinged up (adds character) but the face has fewer shiny appointments and that's fine with me. Good price too. I think that I won't be wearing the new one.

20210225_180202_resized_50_percent.jpg

Keithmax, 9nein9, jtspartan and 4 others like this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Just got my first Apple Watch yesterday. Still learning its tricks, but loving it, so far.
    E3A86B20-D532-45F3-9BE8-44CC7E7069A2.jpeg

3. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

That watch looks strikingly similar to this LIGE I just purchased . $35 CDN shipped to door . 20210313_104010.jpg

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Nice!

9nein9 likes this.
  5. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Thanks !

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. Daywalker

Daywalker Active Member

Lige and the like are cheap Chinese watches (Rolex knock offs) - some made better than others and go as low as 3 bucks.
    You can get Lige and a ton off other branded and unbranded watches from AliExpress.

I'd get one but I don't like those big ass watches nowadays - some look like those Flavor Flav used to wear around his neck.

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

My problem with those cheap Chinese watches is that the ones that look like my Rolex watches are all quartz.. I prefer automatic/ perpetual movements...

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

You are entitled to buy what you like . I'm happy with my purchase knowing I was not buying a Rolex but a cheap watch. 42mm is not a big watch unless you have an awful tiny wrist.

Enrico, jtspartan, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  9. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Hmmm 35 bucks vs 3500. I didnt expect much for what I paid . Who would blow that much for something that does the same simple function. It tells you the time .

jtspartan and jaro like this.
  10. jaro

I wasn't saying anything negative , I just like automatics.. And.. in reply to what you said Well I have a few divers , a couple semi dress and a couple dress Rolex.. Plus a few Tag watches and a few Omegas and a few Breitling so... I guess I would !! My dad and I used to collect watches together as a hobby......I wear an Amazfit Bip mostly though right now..

11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Korea is a small country so I usually take a couple of international trips a year. Due to Covid, no trips for more than 15 months but on the bright side I saved a lot of money. Finally pulled the trigger on a day-date model, Tudor Prince Day Date. It has a retro feel given the style and size, but I think the size still works.

ID - 3.jpeg

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I do, and that's the max size I can get by with without the watch looking like it's wearing me.

Daywalker and 9nein9 like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I think everybody does. There's been times I've considered cracking open my Invictas and removing the second hand entirely, just to fool myself into thinking it's an automatic. Stupid idea and I would just irreparably screw something up (though I can happily live without a second hand on any quartz watch).

14. jaro

Invicta has some nice automatics. I have one that if I find a couple more like it I'm getting one for my dad and for my sons too...

wristwatchb and gorgo2 like this.
  15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

WOTD_031321.jpg
    Nothing like a rugged auto and some health food sitting on a doily. :cool:

16. jaro

OOOH Candy !! I WANT One !!!! the watch is nice too;):)... But seriously I am looking at getting a Hamilton Khaki King Automatic soon....

wristwatchb likes this.
  17. wristwatchb

Thanks. The candy belongs to my Bride, but I sneak a handful or two after she goes to bed. ;)

I highly recommend the Hamilton. This one was a surprise gift from a dear friend, so it is a keeper. It wears comfortably, is easy to read, looks great, has solid lume, a display case back, and the movement has an 80-hour power reserve. Even the factory strap is well-made, and it has an engraved Hamilton strap buckle. It doesn't have a screw-down crown (wish it did), so you can quickly give it a few winds as you strap it on. It is just about the perfect everyday watch.

I can't wait to see your Hamilton and candy bowl wrist shot. :D

18. wristwatchb

That's a looker and an amazing value, Patrick. Congrats!

gorgo2 and 9nein9 like this.
  19. wristwatchb

The Invicta 8926 is worth a look. You can pick one up with a Seiko auto movement for less than $80. Very, very nice.

I've been tempted lately by an Orient Mako II. Everyone needs a watch with a killer blue dial. :cool:

Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

GOT CHICKPEAS?

gorgo2 and wristwatchb like this.