What’s a good, soothing shave balm

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by DiggyGun, Mar 9, 2021.

1. DiggyGun

DiggyGun Member

Hi All

Beginning to do a bit more shaving now the wife asked me to do a Goatee instead of a full beard. Although I’ve been wet shaving for many years with a DE, keeping it tidy, I now have more skin exposed that hasn’t seen the light of day for over 35 years.

Coupled with the fact that I’m now trying straight edge shaving as well, this is causing my 60 year skin to get a bit sore with razor burn. I know that my technique will improve and my skin will harden up a bit, but in the meantime, can anyone recommend a really good shave balm / cream that will soothe the current tenderness.

Yours hopefully from a sore man based in the UK.

2. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

I hate shaving balms. Most are greasy and leave my face sticky. Moreover, if you are using a good quality tallow based soap and a quality after shave lotion it really isn't necessary. Having said that, I realize that when you are just starting off with an SR it is easy to be overly aggressive with your pressure. To that end, the only balm I have ever used that I really didn't hate is the One Blade face balm. I got it as a bonus with a Core One blade razor (I use it as my travel razor-you can't get an SR onto an airplane with carry on). It is surprisingly good, not greasy or sticky, etc. Frankly, all of the One Blade products are pretty good-over priced but pretty good.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  3. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I, personally, am not big on Shave Balms, I prefer alcohol based aftershaves to Balms and Colognes even more.

Once in awhile, I use a Balm, if irritation, of some kind develops and the only one I use, now days is "The Art of Shaving", Unscented After-Shave Lotion".

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Lucky Tiger lotion. Hard to beat.

5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Il
    I like this stuff. No greasy feel. Don’t need much.

Proraso Green Shave Balm with menthol & eucalyptus

D131C3F8-E525-4A91-9D23-C6E2AC7FDCE6.jpeg

Enrico, brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  6. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

Nivea sensitive skin for a generic over-the-counter balm.

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

The Duke Cannon mentholated stuff isn't my cup of tea. I think that the Nivea stuff is about the only balm I've ever used that wasn't gunky and like a lotion. I'm in the alcohol based AS camp myself.

8. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

I’ll second the recommendation of @Edison Carter with Proraso after shave balms. I have used the Sensitive version, Red/White/Green label.

Also seconded on the Nivea recommendation by @mvd.

Neither are heavy or too greasy, should be easy to find in the UK.

If you might be able to come across Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements product called Star Jelly on that side of the pond, it’s my all time favorite. It’s a great balance of a lotion, but also alcohol based. The unscented version still has a slight menthol kick & aroma, with all the skin benefits (IMO) of both worlds. It’s like a thick milky glycerin, that evaporates quickly.

9. brit

brit in a box

nivea or proraso for me as well..:)

10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

+1 on the Lucky Tiger. No alcohol sting, and the chamomile is quite soothing.

11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Highly recommend unrefined shea butter for both moisturizing and healing. It is worth the extra money to purchase a certified high-purity product that has little to no scent. You can apply aftershave as well if you prefer a scented product.

A little goes a long way. If you apply too much, use some tissue to dab off the excess.

If your Bride discovers your container, she'll be using it too. Hands down, it is the best skin healer/conditioner I've ever used.

I purchased my last container here: https://www.bikitanaturals.com

12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am an ASB kinda guy. Recently, I have been eschewing (;)) alcohol-based aftershaves, in favor of spray colognes, EdT's, etc.
    I also recommend the Proraso Balm for sensitive skin.
    61W4NwTPUyL._SL1100_.jpg

13. octoserge

octoserge Member

Proraso White, Nivea and SMN Emulsione if you don’t mind springing a few extra quid.

14. DiggyGun

DiggyGun Member

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

Have done some shopping and got a couple of balms to try. Firstly, Proraso Aftershave Balm Sensitive and secondly, Taylor’s of Old Bond Street Luxury Aftershave Balm.

Having tried them both, I prefer the the TOBS, it is a bit more soothing and has a slight cooling effect.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  15. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I like Nivea and have been using it for a few years.

But about a year ago I tried Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations shave elixir and gotta say it's now my favorite.

16. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

I have very sentitive skin. (Dermatitis)
    I love ASB, but in warm season It's a pain.
    Years ago I found toner is a great option.

17. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

I agree with wristwatchb, shea butter would be excellent.
    Also Witch Hazel, I found a spray in CVS, Eczema Honey - witch Hazel, aloe, lavender and other ingredients. I spray some on my hand and apply to my face.
    A little expensive - Myrsol Agua Balsamico, it has lavender, rosemary and thyme.

18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@DiggyGun Are you looking for something to apply before you shave or after?

19. DiggyGun

DiggyGun Member

For after the shave.

I’ve subsequently started using TOBS Mr Taylor’s AS Balm, which I find is very good. I’ve also been sent some samples of Barts Balms, which I also like.

Sara-s and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  20. wormspank

wormspank New Member

I like Mysterium Serum from PAA.