The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. DentonMajik

DentonMajik Well-Known Member

Long time Stirling fan here! I'm curious if there was ever a change to sharp dressed man aftershave formula? I still have some of my original sdm aftershave from around 5-6 years ago, but I also have a newer bottle as well. My nose can definitely tell the older bottle is more pronounced and I think smells better then the new one. Almost makes me not want to use it in fear of losing it for good...lol...Is that in part because it's aged? Lol? Also just used the remnants of my sdm soap from 5-6 years ago and man does it ever still whip up that thick and slick Stirling lather! Still holds that great scent as well. What a great early Spring shave with one of my favorites from Stirling!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I’ve maybe noticed this phenomenon a little, BUT have also found that my nose varies a lot more day to day than any batch variations from Stirling. I give every AS a vigorous shake before using just in case there’s any settling or separation that occurs between uses.............especially because I have too many scents. My pseudo scientific theory is that I’ll have a consistent scent for an entire bottle.

I’ve read Rod’s mentioning having assistant sniffers because his nose has burned out for certain scents. My guess is that’s where some six year discrepancy comes from.

3. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Glacial Electric Sheep soap followed by Glacial Unscented balm and a killer cold aftershave splash from South Africa called Frosted Spearmint from Master Splash Creations. This shave was so BBS and it felt like Siberia in midwinter![​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm using the Stoylin Spice currently(SS&AS). People here have said(and this includes me) that Doc Ezlovan's version hits quite close to the Shulton Old Spice. But I can't compare it to P&G's "New Spice"(as I call it), since I haven't used New Spice.

5. Yehuda D

ezlovan and Frijolero like this.
  6. Yehuda D

Sunday morning’s Grand Freeze:

Stirling Mentholated Pre Shave Soap
    Razorock Plissoft 26mm Monster
    Super Speed/Astra Green day 7
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen SS
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen ASB
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen WH
    Bleu de Chanel Deodorant Stick
    Bleu de Chanel EdP

My face will need just about the whole day to thaw out from all this menthol - even the pre shave soap felt pretty cold but the Glacial Wintergreen soap’s menthol sensation is so strong that it feels almost borderline painful just like all the other Glacial soaps. The matching balm and witch hazel brought the freeze to another level. This shave was so BBS and so enjoyable!

Have a great Sunday - stay healthy and safe!
    [​IMG]

7. Yehuda D

How cold is the Iced Coffee?

8. Paul Turner

Something I said?

9. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Well-Known Member

not too cold... I have iced pineapple and it feels quite comparable to me.

for me it is the perfect amount of chill, but I know you like your shaves to give you hypothermia, lol!

Yehuda D, ezlovan, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  10. Wade_40

Wade_40 New Member

D03286A9-06D9-4A1D-8046-3B40238362DB.jpeg All Stirling shave, minus the blade. Using the standard plate today, have been using the hyper aggressive plate for when I’ve missed a day shaving. The standard plate is still plenty efficient. Using personna Israeli reds the last three shaves, but so far the Nacet is my favorite blade in this razor. Rod done a wonderful job making this razor. It is crazy efficient with the HA plate and even the standard plate, but is still smooth for me when paired with the right blade.

ezlovan, jayjacque, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  11. ezlovan

ezlovan Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    We did update it about 3-4 years ago. We removed one of the aromachemicals in the formula that was causing skin irritation for a good number of people. It did change the scent slightly, but it had to be done, as we were getting too many requests for refunds due to skin irritation by the original scent.

12. ezlovan

ezlovan Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Yep. As a part of us adding batch numbers to everything starting a couple of years ago, we keep a log of every batch and 4 different people at a minimum smell each batch of product and make sure that it falls within the parameters of what we expect for quality and consistency. There are always going to be small variances over time with small batch, handmade products, but we do everything we can to put out a consistent product.

Sharp Dressed Man is the number one scent that I require assistance with. I've made it so many times over the years and smelled it so much that there are days where I simply can't smell anything but soap when I try to smell it.

13. Yehuda D

Thanks for the information!

Yes, I have an insatiable menthol addiction!

14. Yehuda D

Mashallah habibi!

15. Yehuda D

Wednesday morning’s Grand Freeze:

Yaqi 30mm Barber Pole
    Super Speed/Astra Green day 10
    Stirling Glacial Electric Sheep SS
    Prep ASB
    Master Splash Creations Frosted Spearmint AS Splash

This Yaqi Barber Pole synthetic brush is one hell of a beauty and what a lather maker it is. The Glacial Electric Sheep soap literally buried my face in such thick, rich, slick, fragrant, bitter cold lather which had my eyes tearing and the mutton tallow formula of this soap promotes perfect skincare. There’s nothing like a nice massage with the Prep to make you feel great afterwards, the Frosted Spearmint aftershave not only freezes your face to the moon it smells so gorgeous. Another shave from the Garden of Eden that was fit for a king!

Have a great day - stay healthy and safe!
    [​IMG]

16. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

This may not be the place, but a I have 2/3 of Dunshire edt that I’d like to trade for something else (different Stirling edt or other). Thx.

Frijolero and Edison Carter like this.
  17. Yehuda D

Thursday morning’s Grand Freeze:

Yaqi 30mm Barber Pole
    Super Speed/Schick day 11
    Stirling Glacial Obsidian SS
    Prep ASB
    Master Splash Creations Frosted Spearmint AS Splash

Oh my God this was a Grand Freeze which I enjoyed so much - Rod’s mentholated pre shave soap put the wheels in motion, his Glacial Obsidian soap filled the bathroom with such a lovely anise scent, the lather was so rich as well as mega slick, and the menthol sensation exploded on my face big time. The Prep and the Frosted Spearmint aftershave (thanks so much Fernando!) were a perfect frigid finish. I don’t think I could have gotten a better shave from my barber!

Have a great day - stay healthy and safe!
    [​IMG]

18. Paul Turner

Was that change done to the soap AND aftershave?

19. Yehuda D

Sunday morning’s Grand Freeze:

Yaqi 30mm Barber Pole
    Super Speed/Schick day 14
    Stirling Glacial Electric Sheep SS
    Stirling Glacial Unscented ASB
    B&M Arctique AS Splash
    Bleu de Chanel Deodorant Stick
    Bleu de Chanel EdP

It can’t get too much better (or colder!) than this - what a great bone chilling shave I had!

Enjoy your Sunday - be well and safe!
    [​IMG]

20. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

[posted in wrong thread!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Edison Carter likes this.