Looking for den storage cabinet ideas!

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by S Barnhardt, Feb 20, 2020.

1. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

While I don't have a "ton of stuff" like I know some of you have, what I do have, and the space I have for it to be, has added up to it being in the beginning stages of climbing the walls. It's not a problem yet, per se, but I want to see what I can come up with for storage "before" it does become one. My want would be an apothecary style cabinet with sufficient drawers to organize things with "identification" cards on the outside. Think some form of something similar to the old card catalogs libraries had before the advent of computer-assisted lookups.
    But actual old card catalog cabinets are sort of rare, usually too large, and pricey.

So, I'm turning to you guys for ideas and/or suggestions.

What have you done? What would you do differently? What would you suggest?

Budget is a big ruling factor by necessity here!

:thanks:

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Keep checking Craig's list and stop in to your local thrift store. If you're patient, something nice will pop up.

:eatdrink013:

Ijustmissedthe50s and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Also look for machinist chest or sewing cabinets

Harbor freight

94538_W3.jpg

I hope this helps.

:eatdrink013:

178-bplatoon, brit, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

If you need space for cased sets, look around at thrift stores. I recently got this one at a thrift store for $4.00. It has brackets on the back to hang on a wall................

20200220_111612.jpg

5. S Barnhardt

An old machinist's tool chest like that was one of my first thoughts. The "gold standard", in my opinion, of that type chest, is a Gerstner. But used Gerstners are pricey, easily in the $300 plus range. Then I saw this one from Harbor Freight, which is a tad over $80 now picked up. But I got to reading the reviews for that particular one and there have been too many issues with theirs.

Enrico and gorgo2 like this.
  6. S Barnhardt

Another idea I'd had, and the one I ended up going with, was an apothecary style cabinet. Antique ones you don't want to know the price of, but I found this on Home Depot's website and sized right to fit the space I'm trying to work with, so I ordered them this morning. Both pieces ran me just under $118 shipped. The 9 drawer unit will set on top of the one with the larger drawers with a footprint of 13 " wide x 9 1/2 inches deep x 18 inches high. The small drawers, on top, will allow me to sort out blades, some razors, etc. with tags on the front with what is inside each drawer. Should have them by the middle of next week.

apothecary dimensions.png

:signs002:

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Old Kennedys turn up occasionally too, and not all that expensively.

Enrico and S Barnhardt like this.
  8. S Barnhardt

Not familiar with the Kennedy chests. Are they wooden?

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

No, steel with a textured brown enamel finish usually.

Enrico, S Barnhardt and Primotenore like this.
  10. Tanuki

Tanuki Well-Known Member

My first cabinet was a floor-standing jewelry armoire off Craigslist. Recently I found an old flat file (for maps, photos, etc.) at a vintage furniture place. It is good for loose items. Cased items, not so much.

86402998-8A21-414B-BDDE-40A0F4B992CB.jpeg

11. S Barnhardt

This item, which I bought online from Home Depot, came. So far, I'm pleased. This is how it looks. I'm not sure how I"m going to end up doing the drawers, so I'll wait about "inside" pictures.

den storage.jpg

12. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

13. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

I have a rule: if it cant fit into the cabinet I can't buy it:

20191124_191235_HDR.jpg

Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.