Gillette ID Help. French?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dangermouse, Mar 30, 2021.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I have just purchased a case, with the wrong razor, because the case interested me. It is similar to the vintage Bulldog case, except whereas the Bulldog fitted the case handle up, the razor fits my case handle down. It is a purple case, with matching purple blade banks. Does anyone know what it is and what razor fits in it, please? I have spent the whole day searching advertisements without success. Thank you.

purple.jpg

Jorvaljr and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Hey Gary @brit.

Gary should be able to help you out.

brit likes this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is for a Bulldog razor and a silver plated one as far as this shows for a 1920 Bulldog set.
    http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1920 Bulldog.JPG

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I am going to say the razor orientation thing is due to it being made in England. If it was made in the US it would say so on the case. They didn't start printing made in England on case till well after they stopped producing old type razors.

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  5. dangermouse

Thank you, but I'm a bit confused by your reply. If the razor orientation on the Mr. Razor website indicates it's made in the U.S., then wouldn't it say so on the case, as you mentioned. Has anyone seen any English advertising with this razor, please? Also, if it is made in England, is there a Bulldog razor with 'known the world over' on the underside of the guard plate, to match the case.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Maybe ..... a purple razor

:D

:eatdrink013: Always here to help ....... sort of.

7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yes and that is what it says for the set on mr-razor's site. Your case doesn't, regardless of razor I will say with 99% certainty it should be one made outside the US that belongs in that case and also some variation of an old type Gillette razor. I can also say with 100% certainty they made the old type Bulldog style razor outside the US in Canada and that case could possibly be for that one. I didn't find any mention of the Bulldog razor being made in England but that doesn't mean Gillette didn't make one. As far as the razor itself regardless of where it was produced the Bulldog style handle should be the same. What you want to check is what country is stamped on the razor base plate. They did stamp the Canadian old types made in Canada and the British ones made in England.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  8. dangermouse

Thank know you for your help.

Enrico likes this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Good luck with the hunt. On the bulldog razor if it was a British one keep an eye out on the British and Australian ebay sites. If they did make one you'll most likely find it there checking listings like once a week.

brit likes this.
  10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

If you decide to pass along the case, please let me know. Lol i lost the auction to you and wanted it for my bulldog razor.

dangermouse and brit like this.
  11. Jorvaljr

It is believed that the razor that went into this case may have been a single ring ( standard )The set was called Excelsior.

IMG_6865.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Anytime ..... I'm here for you.

BTW, let me know if you find that purple razor ..... maybe Barney has it.

:D

Hembree and Jorvaljr like this.
  13. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

14. Jorvaljr

Im looking for one of those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dangermouse likes this.
  15. dangermouse

Thanks guys. I'm just coming to the same conclusion, from a different sources. It is a Gillette Excelsior case that I have, not a Bulldog.

Enrico likes this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

There we go, tonich for the win. Only question is that razor marked make in the USA, have a serial number or made in somewhere else?

17. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

It needs a post patent British single ring or ball end.

dangermouse and tonich like this.