been given some razors by an elderly relative - are they any good?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bobbyb73, Mar 31, 2021.

1. bobbyb73

bobbyb73 New Member

Hi there,

I'm new to all things vintage shavers, but I was recently given 3 by an elderly relative. I've managed to get some info from the internet regarding their ID but I still would like some information if anyone knows anything.

- Gillette Aristocrat safety razor - G 4 code (1961 USA?) -doesnt look like its been used - are the Personna blades with it from its original release or a later addition?

-Gillette HD Rocket? It says 'Brit Pat' on it and has the number 694093, and II engraved on it. I'm trying to identify the year, maybe from the case? The case is mirror silver in colour and has Gillette Made in England embossed onto dark red velvet-like material in the lid underside. The whole of the interior has the dark red material.

- curiuos little travel razor, the case has a moving horse hologram on it, a mirror inside and Made in China wrote on it ( a bad sign?).
    I'll upload some photos.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Nice set of razors, especially the Aristocrat Adjustable and Rocket.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Hembree like this.
  3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Yes, they are nice razors. As previously mentioned, the Aristocrat and Rocket are great razors. I think you will enjoy shaving with them. I am not familiar with the third razor.

Chris - enjoying learning, whatever the subject

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Nice.

Herm

5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

A nice start for a collection and some further information. The Gillette adjustable Aristocrats were only made in the US but sold in other Anglo markets like England, Canada and Australia. That set only came with Gillette blades. From a set collection standpoint as long as the case is correct for the razor that is all that matters. The razor from a shave standpoint is the same razor as a Gillette slim adjustable just a different plating i.e. nickel as opposed to gold plating.

The Rocket is a mismatch for that case that razor is technically not a Rocket if you use Gillette's nomenclature that is reserved for razors sold in the then No 54 and No 54a sets. That razor is not one of them. That case is for a 1pc Gillette Aristocrat. If the razor is rhodium plated it was sold in a set a called a No 80. The razor itself is also sometimes referred to a British TV special because of the knurling which is the same as an American Flare Tip Super Speed razor referred to as a TV special. That razor if it is from a No. 80 set was made in 1961.

The travel razor also looks to be a mismatch. The case is not a Gillette case and that razor should be a Gillette 3pc Tech razor and most likely made in England. It will have the Gillette logo and made in England on the base plate. It could also have been made in the US and will say so if not England on the base plate. If that is the case then depending how exact you are with matching razor heads and handles that would be the wrong handle for a US made 3pc tech but correct to a British made Tech.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

61page2.jpg g1961ad.jpg 1961g.jpg

Information on that flare tip Gillette 1pc, date and the No 80 set it most likely belongs to.

7. bobbyb73

bobbyb73 New Member

Very informative and useful detail you've given BBS, particularly with regards to the 2 mismatched razors & cases, thank you. I'll have to see if my elderly relative has the correct and matching sets, although I expect that's a long shot. Thanks again!

8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Very nice set, and gift from your relative!

9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That is a nice gift! I don’t have the breadth of knowledge about them, compared to some of the other folks here. But from what I do know, they are all pretty good. I will enjoy hearing about it when you try them.

10. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

The English Gillettes - made in their factory in Leicester - are considered to be a step up in quality from USA made ones and are valued/priced accordingly.

Of course they would be even more valuable with the correct case and blade pack but they are still excellent razors.

Those travel Techs were sold in all sorts of weird and wonderful cases. Yours may just be authentic although I've never seen one quite like that.

Anyway, get a good brush and some god shave soap and enjoy the razors!

11. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

The British case belongs to a No 88 from the 30-ies 40-ies, Leicester was closed during ww1. The Tech type razor is a Fyling Eagle from China, while looking somewhat similar to a Gillette Tech, it's not one. Nice razors, enjoy them.

BBS likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet!
    But they're only good if you use them.;)

BBS likes this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

All I can add is to identify the razor as a Gillette or not is the base plate will say Gillette somewhere on it. If it doesn't then it is not a Gillette Tech razor head simple as that.

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That's definitely a Flying Eagle case. Pretty sure it's a Gillette razor in that case though.

15. romsitsa

romsitsa Well-Known Member

Take a closer look at the "Tech".
    Cap has no corner notches and is too thick, base plate lacks the corner notches, and the center part is flat.
    Handle has very shallow knurling and a bell shaped neck, while "similar" Gillette handles has a deeper knurl and a longer straight neck.