Looking for sound advice

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by JEFFMAPES, Apr 5, 2021.

1. JEFFMAPES

JEFFMAPES New Member

Hello all, I joined the forum not long ago and forgot to introduce myself. I am JEFFMAPES and live in west Texas. It is very dry here, I have pasted my strop 3 times since December. I have several razors with horn scales. Any suggestions on how to care for them in a dry climate?
    Regards
    Jeff

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Welcome aboard from New Jersey.
    Glad to have you!

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Welcome @JEFFMAPES from here in western NY. I’m sure you’ll get plenty of help from the members here. I mainly use DE and SE.

:eatdrink013:

4. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Welcome from West Tennessee.

8/19/1942

5. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome from Alabama the Heart of Dixie! Glad to have you aboard.

6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Welcome from Northern Alberta Canada, have some great shaves!

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Welcome and all that.

Horn is a natural material and you should be caring for them, no matter the climate. The #1 recommended conditioner for horn is lanolin. Buy the stuff in the squeeze bottle and don't use much.

Try to avoid getting horn wet, and if it does get wet, dry it off as soon as you can. Dampness makes it smell, and also can cause it to warp.

If you don't want to shell out the big bucks for lanolin, Camilla oil is a decent substitute. It's also a dandy rust preventative for tools, especially saws. The Japanese have been using it on their swords and tools for centuries, and westerners are starting to catch on as well.

You can't apply too much oil. Once it has soaked in, wipe any excess off with a clean soft cloth. If you haven't treated it with anything yet, soak some on a paper towel and seal it and your razor in a zip lock baggie overnight. That will help as well.

Don't be surprised if white spots on the handle turn darker to match the rest of the horn. That is perfectly natural and good for the horn.

Primotenore and Edison Carter like this.
  8. JEFFMAPES

JEFFMAPES New Member

9. JEFFMAPES

JEFFMAPES New Member

Top O the Morning PLANofMAN,
    Thanks for the advice, I have lanolin for my boots. I have a ready supply. I do take great care is stowing my razors after use so wiping down with lanolin will not be a big deal. That is information I can use. I have 2 Erbe Solingen's in the mail, one in cow horn and one in stag horn and they should arrive by the end of the week.
    Regards,
    Jeff

PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Where in Jersey? I'm across the river in New Hope, PA...

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Been through New Hope many times on our way to Peddler's Village.
    I'm down in Cherry Hill.

12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member