What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Its not that big of a deal, you just have to modify your techniques, and preferably use a narrower hone.

2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :rofl:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Don’t forget a precision DMT lapping plate. Gotta grind the divots out of those skinny hones.

Oh...... and rolls & rolls of tape. Yup, lotta tape. Gotta avoid getting the dreaded spine wear.

esvh, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  4. Billyfergie

5. DaltonGang

????
    It shouldnt take much more time to hone a "Wonky Razor", or more tape. With practice, and learning to manage where to apply pressure, it's not much of an issue.
    As I have said before, get some Old, and Inexpensive razors with issues, and learn how to correct them. Practice practice practice.

esvh, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

A different version of the ‘Sunday Shaver’. This razor started life as the Dimanche (Sunday) razor in an ivory-scaled set of CVH M.K. 32. Obviously separated from its siblings, I bought it as part of an early 20th century dresser set, folding mirror, bowl, and brush.It has moderate wear on it and for a while I just put it in the ‘to do’ drawer. I finally got it out and did the remedial honing (details in the honing thread). Now I have an 11/16 CHV, about the size of a M.K. 31. Compliments to the previous owner, there was no rust, pitting, etc on this razor and the factory finish was still intact, just a few patina spots on top of the spine.. It’s uncommon to see a razor this old and with this much wear still with near pristine cosmetics.

Soap and AS were Floris 89, and a Keyhole 3 did the lathering honors. The shave was BDBS as to be expected from a good CVH.

790CFB72-7043-4D72-A338-A0A6C9E19CA5.jpeg 0136D743-28DD-4D19-A538-D8B8703F9F75.jpeg

esvh, oscar11, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  7. Edison Carter

I completely agree.

Absolutely no reason that folks can’t learn to do things the right way.

Practice, practice, practice.

And do as you are told.

esvh, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  8. DaltonGang

Yes, Grasshopper.
    It is all about knowledge, and learning from others(mistakes of others). Me, I have had many mistakes, learning to hone razors, but I approached it as a big game of learning. I tried many things, out of curiosity, when told it wouldnt work, and what do you know, they were usually right. But, I have always been a hardhead, and like to learn things for myself, and I know that. But, I do gleen from those who know more than me, and take their advise seriously.

esvh, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  9. DaltonGang

That's a beauty. :happy088::happy088:

10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Scott!

11. Edison Carter

I wanted to improve my results with a coticule.

The awe inspiring Scotsman @Billyfergie who drops in when he is not being chased by the ‘wimmin’ of those parts suggested I apply a tallow lather upon the rock and use a gentle touch for a few rounds.

I used another of my projects that was sufficiently push cutting a foam packing peanut (the renegade HHT). Naniwa progression and pasted balsa routine on this one.

After following the instructions and leather stropping there may have been some improvement on this test, certainly no worse.

EA296F73-C7F0-4531-A702-2D53093F6EEA.jpeg

I test shaved verses a TI still sporting a nice factory edge.

Probably my best coticule result to date. Not quite as efficient as the TI but exceptionally smooth especially on the latter passes.

I’ll keep working on it. Thanks Billy.

999B2BC9-0185-41F4-9483-4AD367E7D3F9.jpeg

All that lather exposure and my usual moisture dispersing alcohol spritz was sufficient to soften the ink from the blade. Almost gone now.

esvh, oscar11, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  12. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Really nice razor! I would really want to have a 7 day set of your razor, no matter which language on the back.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

esvh, oscar11, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  13. DaltonGang

Losing the print on a Gold Dollar, no harm no foul. It's a $4 razor, that can shave like a $150 razor. It's been a few years since I purchased a Gold Dollar 66, but their steel was pretty good, back then. Some of the modern made Gold dollars, over the past two years have been a hit or miss. Their tempering left the metal too soft, and unusable. Not all, but their tempering lately has been very inconsistent.
    @Steve56 like to use the GD razors to test his hones.

esvh, Keithmax, Tedolph and 3 others like this.
  14. DaltonGang

@Edison Carter , why do you alcohol spritz your razors?? I just rinse with hot water, wipe dry, and apply a very little amount of mineral oil to the blade. Being in Houston(SubTropical) rust is always an issue. Doing this for many years has worked, and I never had any rust, on any razor.

esvh, Keithmax, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  15. Billyfergie

[​IMG]T
    Thanks for the Compliment Buddy..But as @DaltonGang My Hard Headed Friend Scott Said..Ya have a LOT to LEARN.. TI..Razors are NOT Near Shave Ready from the Factory & I have Honed More of Em than I Can Recall..So..The Comparison is a Mute Point..Just Like the Muted Factory Edge..The ‘Wimmin that are Chasing Me Know Better..:happy097:

Get Her Drift..:rofl:

:mog:

Billy..:chores016:

esvh, oscar11, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  16. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    He Needs Babied Scott.Right On Bro..:rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

17. DaltonGang

Baby steps. Not Baby Hugs. Homie don't role that way. :happy097::happy102::eatdrink047:

18. Edison Carter

90+% isopropyl readily mixes with water allowing a faster total evaporation by promoting moisture dispersion. Something from years back at work. Probably not necessary but something I started on DE’s when I was too hurried to disassemble and dry properly.

Oiling is probably better.

Don’t do on Dovo celluloid! Instant crumble.

19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Me too Hans!

20. Edison Carter

I ordered this one with a factory edge and not rehoned just to see.

I really don’t expect you to believe me but it wasn’t that bad.

Maybe one day I’ll learn to shave too. I’ll try to learn from someone who knows everything.

I’ve had razors honed by guys who say they beat a Feather AC.
    Uh....NO!

esvh and Keithmax like this.