The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

NOS Klas Tornblom 5/8. I have a user grade version of this razor that’s probably had a tiny chip in the toe repaired, but it will shave the barbs off a barb wire fence - just an excellent razor. Vendor’s image. BD7F6DD2-0A60-4467-A6B9-DEC4871C13C9.jpeg

esvh, deepsea, Billyfergie and 9 others like this.
  2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Great acquisition Steve... beautiful example!
    :eatdrink047:

3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Tom!

4. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Really nice razor!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

esvh and Karl G like this.
  5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Hans!

esvh, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  6. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

I’ve been traditional WetShaving for 3 1/2 years and during that time I’ve been using Shavettes and a CJB kamasori so using a straight razor came pretty easy to me. I’m no master with the sword yet but I’ll get there. I have a gold dollar 66 and just picked up this beautiful razor. A Theirs-Issard Evide Sonnat Extra Hollow B36DC97C-66F6-43E9-BB4E-995EF0563A20.jpeg 7BBB8809-18A0-44CA-A81A-1B0E2B39149E.jpeg 70F6AEC9-8028-468E-B1D7-AEA36195A870.jpeg

esvh, Keithmax, deepsea and 8 others like this.
  7. TestDepth

Beautiful addition - congratulations! :eatdrink047:
    Tom

8. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

Thanks brother!!!! Anthony Esposito recommend i get it!!! He also honed it for me along with my Gold Dollar.
    (I practice stroping with my gold dollar till I got good enough). Then I got a better strop

esvh, Billyfergie, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

You’re on the way sir!

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome to the "Rabbit Hole", of shaving.

11. lottenhem

Any ideas from the US guys if this is something to acquire? Smith & Wesson SWRD1S?
    [​IMG]

esvh, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  12. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

That’s an RSO - a ‘razor shaped object’. Probably a Pakistani knife shaped like a razor. So the answer is a resounding ‘No!’.

Smith and Wesson never made any cutlery, etc as far as I know, though they may have had some made for them or licensed their name to others.

esvh, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  13. lottenhem

Thanks Steve! I had my doubts as it looks a little bit more like a normal knife than a razor.

14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

YW Hans.

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Junk. They are cranking out razors with all sorts of names on them. Winchester, S&W, dead Presidents, Dead poets/writers, etc. If the scales look like that, with all that metal, it is a safe bet it is Pakistani, or Chinese Junk, meant to sucker unknowing people into buying. A quick way to tell if it is junk, look at the pivot pin. If flush with the scales, or large diameter pins(used for knifes) avoid.

esvh, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  16. lottenhem

Yeah that’s sad with all these junk products. I have a philosophy that I never buy products from China etc if I can avoid it. When it comes to garden gear I only buy products made in USA, Germany, and the Nordic Countries of course. Picture of my lawn mover
    [​IMG]

esvh, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  17. TestDepth

Carl Rader 14 recently arrived. Tough time letting a serviceable 14 slide by without a bid. :)
    I have a few of this maker, but this is the first 14 I have seen. No beauty queen but behaved nicely on the stones. Shapton 16k for the finish.
    3CB19FF8-0EF9-42F2-B989-41773AEE4588.jpeg
    Happy hunting.
    Tom

esvh, Keithmax, deepsea and 6 others like this.
  18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

That should clean up nicely Tom, and I perfectly understand not letting a 14 go by. Congrats!

19. DaltonGang

Wow, you stole that one. I agree, it should clean up nicely. How wide is the blade??

esvh, Karl G, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  20. TestDepth

Thanks Steve. Minimal hone wear, but some previous sanding that I will try and smooth out. The scales are tight and really doesn't look too abused.

Thanks Scott. Right around 15/16 to the top of the spine.
    This one creates a nice Carl Rader buffet... a 14, a 35 Spanish pt, and a 49 French point, all coming in around that 15/16" width. I guess I like his style :)

esvh, Karl G, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.