Merkur Slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razor Reviews' started by Will, May 18, 2007.

1. Will

Will Nevermind

THE SLANT! :drool

No for the new kid but really good when you know just what you are doing.

Works just like the HD only a little bigger on the grip a little more heft and a whole lot more aggressive.

For the Photo fans, here you go!

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Nice review Doc :D

The Merkur slant is darn close to being the perfect Double Edge Safety razor. When used properly (no pressure), you will be rewarded with an excellent shave....both close and comfortable.

No reason to fear this razor

[​IMG]

Tdmsu likes this.
  3. Smedley

Smedley New Member

I love my Slant. Beautiful close shaves and no irritation. One to grow into, but a fine shaver when you have mastered your technique.

4. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

This razor is part of the Merkur razor progression for me. I started with a Futur because my wife bought it for me when I expressed an interest in wet shaving. I quickly went to an HD classic because I knew I had to get my technique down first. So now, after much practice those razors and a couple of Parker's, I am back to a hard core razor. The Merkur HD Slant Bar. Add a feather blade to this and you have one heck of a beard reduction tool in your hand. I'm still working on keeping it light. I get a weeper now and then. Choose some forgiving blades for the first month. This razor should not be your first razor. But, once you get everything down it may well be your last razor unless you move up to a str8. Don't get me wrong, I love my HD and Futur. They give great shaves and the HD is my go to razor when I beat myself up but, for shear cutting delight, the Slant Bar is the one.

5. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

A good razor .....and part of my rotation. I would not recommend it for first time users......you need to have good technique. The main benefit is that it gives a BBs shave with fewer passes. However ....I do think that an HD armed with a good blade will give similar results.

6. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Great Razor, if youre technique is sound.
    DO NOT START with this razor as it can be unforgiving.
    I use my Slant primarily for "Quickies" and I NEVER use it for Against The Grain (ATG) passes.
    1 N-S WTG and 1 S-N XTG pass with my slant and my mug is almost BBS.
    ......and BTW. I dont use Feathers in my Slant :o

Tdmsu likes this.
  7. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

I gotta go against the grain here

I don't see the need for any particular warnings to accompany this razor. The blade angle is more aggressive at one end, but I get a much more smooth shave outa this than my HD, and less nicks to boot. The grip is nice and textured, and I am working out the trickiness of getting your sideburns in order. I reached for my HD to get that part for the first week or so.

This may in part have something to do with coinciding with my first time experience with Tabac though. :rofl:rofl

8. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Nowhere near as difficult to use as I was initially led to believe, I will say that it probably shouldn't be your first razor. My go-to tool when I have heavy whiskers to mow down. Don't put your everyday blade in this - use your special sharp one - and you will be rewarded. The weight is excellent, but I prefer the balance of a longer handle - my Super Adjustable has the perfect balance for me.

9. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Awesome

As a newbie initially I was scared. However after studying the brilliant forum information decided to purchase.

Rewarded with amazing shaves. For newbies I suggest the following:
    1. Make sure your face is lathered properly.
    2. Start with a blade that is not too sharp. Then try the derby. Then go for the feathers.
    3. Find a blade angle that works. Very light pressure. Requires experimentation to find the correct combo of angle/pressure.
    4. Diagonal cheek passes are very effective.
    5. Exercise patience around the chin and lip areas. Found those areas easier to nick. Still unable to get as close a shave as I would like.
    6. Take your time and relax.

10. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

What are the IPs? Where do you purchase them?

11. magic

magic New Member

I wouldn't waste my time if I didn't think this is the best razor on the planet.

No other razor ( I have tried them all including straights)
    gives me a closer more comfortable and irritation free shave then the HD Slant.

12. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Not much too really add. For me the slant is the best razor produced. Gives a great shave everytime. I have the gold and the chrome and for some reason I think the Gold Slant shaves better. My search for the best razor has ended with the slant.

13. akhorosh

akhorosh New Member

I like this razor very much. I give me very close shave without any problems.
    I have five of them, including vintage ones

14. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Im in love with the slant.Its so easy to get a BBS only with 2 passes.No irritation or razor burn.Its my favorite razor so far and I think that Im gonna stick to it for a very long time.

15. zimmer

zimmer Member

I made the switch back to DE shaving in September, after a 30 years layoff.
    I remembered that the DE I last used before being sucked into the "Trac II" marketing scheme, was a Gillette Adjustable, which I found later to be a Fatboy.
    Since coming back to DE shaving, I've tried a Superspeed, Single Ring, New Improved, Long Comb, and finally, the Merkur Slant Bar. After trial and error, I determined, at least for my face, that the best DE for me is the Fatboy on #9, followed by the Slant.
    I find the slant to be reasonably aggressive but also find that I need more passes to get results similar to the Fatboy. The final shave with the Slant is just a bit less smooth than the Fatboy and because of that, I find that I'm using the Gillette about 10 times more than the Slant. It's a great razor, but for me, a strong second choice that I'll end up passing on to another DE user in the future.

16. hockeyguy

hockeyguy New Member

I just recently purchased a Merkur 37G . It has become my favorite razor. With 2 passes I get a BBS. I would not recommend a slant bar to someone who is just starting out. After around 3 months of consistently good shaves I would try it. :whacky011

17. Sargon

Sargon Well-Known Member

The slant is my go to razor. It is aggressive, but nowhere enar as bad as people say. I have a thick beard, so it's no surprise that the slant is (at this time) my go-to razor. Just use a nice sharp blade and good lather and technique, and it will give you a close comfortable shave ( and fairly quickly, too). I find that if I want a "mild" blade, that I use a red IP, and if I want a sharper one, I go for a feather, yellow box gilette, or astra SP.

18. tobester76

tobester76 New Member

Couldn't agree more! Purchased a Merkur Slant from the Geo. F. Trumper store on Jermyn Street while in London recently (and passed a very informative half hour chatting to one of the barbers there about various aspects of shaving). Have tried it with both Derby and Merkur Platinum blades so far and am really pleased with the results. Got a couple of weepers on my first few goes with it, but it has helped me to refine my technique to the point where I am now comfortable using it for ATG passes. I still alternate with my Futur, for a bit of variety, but I have found that the improved technique that I have gained from using the Slant has helped me get better results from this too. A must for the seasoned DE shaver!

19. Pf3427

Pf3427 New Member

I purchased a 37C about 6 months ago. One of the best razors I own. I agree with a lot of the posters who say that this is not for a beginner. I also find that I go through blades a little more quickly than with my HD.

Omelmad likes this.
  20. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

The 37C is a great razor. I found that there was absolutely no learning curve to it. Maybe it was because I started DE shaving several years ago, but I found this slant to be an easy razor to add to the stable.

Omelmad likes this.