A rarity. A holy grail.

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by IAmTheJody, Apr 28, 2021.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

And it's my last NOS tube.
    :angry017:

The original Proraso Red. IMHO, 150ml of one of the finest shaving creams ever made. Shame they did away with it. It was about 9 years ago I think when I purchased two of these on eBay. I finished off the first one yesterday. That's how sparingly I have been using it.

REDIMG_20210419_152305.jpg REDIMG_20210419_152215.jpg

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I was gifted a sample of it some years ago by @Dridecker and the Red was a fantastic performer.

IAmTheJody and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  3. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

So wonder why they ever did away with it if it was so good? I never had the pleasure of trying the red but still use the green and will always have it in my rotation

IAmTheJody likes this.
  4. IAmTheJody

Over the years between normal CRS Syndrome and a stroke I had, it's hard for me to remember some things so I believe it was eight, maybe 9 years ago when I purchased these two tubes and even then, this original Proraso Red had been discontinued already for a couple of years I think it was in 2008, which is why I snatched these two up on eBay when they became available, because tons of people raved about how great it was and I never got to try it before it was discontinued. If I recall correctly, someone had came across a NOS unopened case of it and was selling it for $20 + free shipping each on eBay I believe it was (funny how so many of us migrated to wet shaving to save money, yeah?)

There are a lot of things in our shaving world that are average or decent or good but once they become unavailable, it seems like they were the greatest thing ever made. DPS (Discontinued Product Syndrome). While I don't think this original Proraso Red is the greatest shaving cream ever made, it is pretty darn awesome. Wheat germ oil, menthol bomb, undeniably nice cushion... To me, it was perfect.

5. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I never knew there was an old formula of Proraso Red like that.

Would you say the Sandalwood scent is about the same as the newer Proraso Red?

6. IAmTheJody

I thought the newer Proraso Red was the sandalwood sent?

The original is not sandalwood.

7. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

The newer red is

What kind of scent do you get from the old red?