Gillette Superspeed Not Shaving?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Uncle Trojan, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Uncle Trojan

Uncle Trojan Well-Known Member

I've been having a problem with my 60s and 70s superspeeds. They feel like I'm not even shaving with them. I've tried my usual Personna blade, and I've tried a Dorco and Gillette Platinum. I understand they are mild shavers, but they used to shave really well. I've also tried shimming them but that hasn't worked out well. It must be the razor, right? But looking at the razor, I don't see anything wrong. Anybody have this issue?

Everybody's Favourite Uncle

2. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

I've got 6 super speeds and all of them shave very well.
    They are mild shavers but they all work.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Uncle Trojan likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If it worked before, and you have not changed any hardware, your technique has changed.
    How? I have no clue. You can try loosening the doors ever so slightly. That will increase the gap and was even a tip Gillette used to promote (I could be wrong about that Gillette promotion) Perform this at your own risk.

gorgo2 and Uncle Trojan like this.
  4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Probably technique, but the SS is not one of my favorite razors because I find them too mild and inconsistent.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Uncle Trojan and Dave in KY like this.
  5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

You said the razors do not "feel" like they are shaving. Are you removing whiskers or not?

Uncle Trojan likes this.
  6. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

If one razor went bad I can understand that but not all a once.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Uncle Trojan and Dave in KY like this.
  7. Bflotom2

Bflotom2 Active Member

WOW! I thought it was only me that felt that way about SS. I have a 49-50 SS that I have never been able to get a good shave from. No matter the blades or prep I always got a "huh OK" shave. I've since moved on but always wondered?

Herm2502, GatorJoe and Uncle Trojan like this.
  8. Uncle Trojan

I misworded it. I'm not removing whiskers

9. Uncle Trojan

It may be that, I'll try it differently tomorrow and see what happens

10. swarden43

And to be clear, you were on the past with this setup?

11. swarden43

Here's a thought...have you changed soap or cream? I've found that super-slick lather can have a tendency to cause the blade to slide over the whiskers rather than allowing it to dig in and cut them, especially with a very mild razor.

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

That was going to be my next question.

13. Uncle Trojan

In the past when I first started wetshaving, I started with my 70s superspeed and a personna blade and it did just fine

Frijolero likes this.
  14. Uncle Trojan

My main soaps are barbasol and colonel conk I switch between those more often than any other soap I have. Could it be that the barbasol is so thick, it doesn't catch the hair?

15. swarden43

Never know until you try a different soap. Try what you were using in the past.

Uncle Trojan likes this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

On technique if you are going too shallow i.e. cap against the face try change the angle to make the cap more perpendicular to the face. Shallow angle = less blade to the face and milder shave while a steep angle is the opposite as long as the blade makes good contact with the face. Next thing are you shaving daily, if not depending how thick the whiskers are will impact how well a razor like a Super Speed will shave. If that is the case try a more aggressive / efficient razor for the first pass or use something like a beard trimmer first to get the hair to manageable length for the razor.

Uncle Trojan and GatorJoe like this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be an issue unless the cream is clogging up the razor.

Uncle Trojan likes this.
  18. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I have at least one of every Superspeed variation Gillette ever made and I can get a decent shave with all of them, even including a Blue Tip.

Try yours with a new Feather blade.

Uncle Trojan likes this.
  19. Uncle Trojan

Will do. It will be on my SOTD in a couple weeks. I've got mail call in a couple days, so many goodies! My RAD usually kicks in around the beginning of summer.

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Blade is not going to matter at all. Any sharp blade works fine. As far as lather too thick thats pretty silly eh? It’s soap lather not concrete. Make sure the guard bars are not bent to the point of no blade gap. If the razor is not damaged it should work. If it is not damaged then it’s straight up technique. Put the head against the face with the handle straight out. Start your down stroke then lower the handle until you get the angle right. It’s shaving pressure and angle.

brit, Lancre, Dave in KY and 2 others like this.