Shave Oil

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Landro, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Landro

Landro Member

Hey guys.
    I am a long time Safety Razor user easily capable of BBS shaves.
    I have just started into the world of Shavettes.
    Past the fear factor already but I do have a sensitive neck and my beard grows horizontal from the left to the right on my neck. This creates a dangerous situation trying to go against the grain on the right side of my neck and that is where I keep cutting myself. I have found no good way to hold the razor either right or left handed and shave that area. I was thinking shave oil might help as a base coat. Any tips for that one side of my neck? I currently use my right hand for the right side of my neck and turn the razor downword. I can get my jaw and cheek easily enough that way but the neck is the issue. Would shave oil help and is there an alternative oil found in the home that isn't as expensive as shave oil?
    I hope I drew a good picture of what's happening.
    Thanks

Edison Carter likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hmmm...
    I use my right hand exclusively for all three passes with a straight. Not bragging, just saying it was something I had to figure out on my own, that is, what worked for me.
    An inexpensive alternative to shave oil is your basic olive oil. All a shave oil will do is give you a little slickness, nothing a good soap or cream can't do. I used to use shave oil. Found out it really wasn't doing much to add to making the shave any easier or better.
    Keep at it. You'll find what works for you.
    I'm rooting for ya!!

Edison Carter and Landro like this.
  3. Landro

Landro Member

I've always been ambidextrous so it makes sense for me to use my left hand for the left side and my right hand for my right for the down pass. For the up pass it's the opposite. Right hand for left side and left hand for right side... The against the grain right side of my face to the left is where things start getting dangerous. Thanks

4. swarden43

Slow and easy, practice.
    You'll get it :happy088:

Landro likes this.
  5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I’ve seen videos where individuals with greater dexterity than I are able to move the razor eastward and westward across the neck. I’ve done it, but it creates a limited point of view for me.

I’ve modified to 4 passes on the neck. 2 north to south, and 2 south to north. My results steady improve but I never shoot for BBS where the hair grows crossways. Besides, it is close enough that I’m the only one that ever really knows.

Landro likes this.
  6. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Every time i tried shave oil it was a disaster-it killed my later. Has anybody else had that experience? Now, I only use it to coat my SR blade after honing. Also, I have the same problem on my right side neck. I solved it by following up my SR double pass shave with an electric touch up on that side.

Landro likes this.
  7. swarden43

Never had a pre-shave oil alter my lather.
    "Electric touch up"?!?!? AAAARRRRGGGG!! :signs089:

Just kidding. As I said, I've used a DE or SE for touch up after a straight razor shave.
    It's my shave. I'll enjoy it my way.
    And you should, too :happy088:

Tedolph and Landro like this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Landro and richgem like this.
  9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

If I used my left hand I'm sure I'd be missing an be ear by now...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Landro likes this.
  10. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Here is a simple trick to train your non-dominant hand risk free: comb or brush your hair with that hand. You will be surprised how poor your dexterity, freedom of motion and proprioception are with that hand compared to your dominant hand, and how much things improve in just a few weeks.

Last edited: May 5, 2021