What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Now, that's a great looking stone, with character. Thanks for sharing.

2. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

I need some advice regarding honing. Sometimes I feel that it is almost impossible to get a razor sharp enough. I use the following set up of stones:
    And finally stropping on Balsa wood + leather strop.
    All stones always flattened on a glass plate with wet sand paper.
    I have tried out with different pressures ( never hard ) but still some razors never get sharp enough.
    Tips and tricks would be appreciated!
    Thanks in advance.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Karl G, Edison Carter and Steve56 like this.
  3. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thank you Scott!

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  4. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Maybe you need more pressure.

You want to feel like you are removing some metal.

5. DaltonGang

If you are starting with an 8k stone, more than likely your bevel isn't set correctly. Invest in good bevel setters. A 320 grit stone for really damaged edges, then a 1000, and 3000 to set the bevels. The bevels are where most of the work is at. If you want super sharp, and smooth, get a well known brand at around 15k+. Major rule in honing, the higher the grit, the less pressure is used. In the final stages, only the weight of the blade is all the pressure that is used.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Karl G, lottenhem and Edison Carter like this.
  6. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

That could be the problem, I check with magnifying glass and I think it is almost impossible to get an even “grind” along the edge. Have also tried to put the stones on the side and honed with X moves with some better results. Have to try with some more pressure....

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Karl G and Edison Carter like this.
  7. Claude Stewart

Claude Stewart Well-Known Member

6/8 Rader Razor

Just finished honing on the 8, 12 and 15 K stones. She'll get her first shave tomorrow morning.

rader1.jpg

rader2.jpg

rader.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Karl G, Steve56, DaltonGang and 4 others like this.
  8. Claude Stewart

6/8 CekaWorks

Had quite a few problems honing this one. This is the third attempt.

Decided to start from the beginning. Dragged the edge across the side of the stone a few time. Then started grinding out the old bevel using clock wise circular rotations on the 400 grit stone.

ceka.jpg

Took my time. Lost count of the number of back and forth from one side to the next.

When satisfied of the edge developing, moved to the 1K grit and started the honing.

ceka1.jpg

Kept an eye on the edge using the marker test. Everything was looking good so the next steps were the 3K, 8K, 12K and 15k stones. The honing and stropping on linen, rough leather and smooth leather developed an very sharp edge. But, this is the third time honing this razor. The first two were just as sharp. Unfortunately, it did not shave well.

ceka2.jpg ceka3.jpg ceka4.jpg

I apologize for not recalling who the helpful member is but, they provided a really great piece of advice. I hope you read this, Thank you for your advice. It was a tremendous help!

The push test; Using packing peanuts to test the edge. I did just that. Checking for pressure needed to "PUSH" the edge into cutting the foam allowed me to estimate if the edge was sharp enough to move from the 15K to the strop. Then from linen to rough and rough to smooth leather.

After enough laps on the smooth leather, the razor barely needed a touch before slicing through the foam.

ceka5.jpg

Now for the morning shave to see if this latest work proves successful.

Good day everyone.

deepsea, Karl G, TestDepth and 4 others like this.
  9. Claude Stewart

Pre 1935

6/8 Gottlieb Hammesfahr Solingen Foche

Nice Blade. Has a good weight and shape. Will see how she shaves after it takes a few hundred laps on the strop.

Gottlieb 1.jpg

Gottlieb.jpg

deepsea, Karl G, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Touched up my Dovo Bismarck, one of the good ones. Dovo can make a great razor if they want to, and like all modern European razors, the factory scales are … not so good. My version weighs 39g and handles like an M.K. 32.

607EF75C-388E-43FC-9781-09E44BA4C483.jpeg 771B833B-91BD-4037-8858-63B74288FA56.jpeg

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    deepsea, Karl G, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Oops, 49g. I use an iPad, lol.

Karl G likes this.
  12. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Joseph Rodgers & the still unknown mark :)

A miss mash of stones for these two...
    Suehiro for the 1k, Naniwa for the 4k, Shapton for the 8k and a finish with the Thuringian.
    668883FF-FA37-496F-95FA-2522B615B313.jpeg
    The Rodgers is a full wedge, and could probably use a regrind, but nothing a little (or a lot of :)) tape can’t handle.
    Happy honing.
    Tom

13. TestDepth

Two very nicely behaved old English blades... Geo. Wostenholm and a Joseph Rodgers

Same progression: bevel crafted on the Suehiro 1k & Naniwa 4k (pictured), refined on the Shapton 8k, and finished on the Thuringian.
    E384918F-3D64-413A-B261-9CEBFDF5179E.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

14. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Pieces of regal character!
    :happy088:

Steve56 and TestDepth like this.
  15. TestDepth

Thanks Bill. The embellishments on the scales were what sucked me in. :)

Steve56 and Edison Carter like this.
  16. DaltonGang

Simmons Hardware Co.
    Royal King Cutter

This is one of @John Beeman 's razors. It was part of a swap, to be returned to him. I restored this one, but left it with a little patina.
    The edge was butter knife dull, so I took it to the Norton 320 grit stone. A long time later, the Pre-bevel popped up. This felt like it was very very hard metal. Next to the Norton 1K. After it was finished there, I I looked under the Lighter Jewelers Loupe. Crap!!!!!!. Chipping everywhere, some substantial. New tape, and a healthy killing of the edge, and I restarted, with even lighter pressure. Double Crap!!!! More chipping, But not as much as before. Twice more, I killed the edge, because of chipping. Finally, with a light touch, I got past the 1k. It was very very slow going though the rest. I used my Welsh Slate Stones and several Naguras(for slurry), to finish the razor.
    In the end, I tested the scratch patterns of two Escher Thuringian Hones. The one with the handle puts a nice finish on it, but the other one(on the bottom) takes it to a much higher level.
    It took a very very sharp edge, after some time on the strop.

P5091550.JPG

DrStrange, gssixgun, Steve56 and 4 others like this.
  17. DaltonGang

Griffon
    "Tonsorial Artist"

Another of @John Beeman 's razors, to be sent back. This was restored, and a small nick was removed, early on.
    I will say, I have a couple of Griffon razors, and they are very high quality.
    This razor was much easier than the Simmons, I had also honed. This one easily went through the Hones, without a hiccup. Finished on Welsh Slate Stones and Eschers Thuringians. After stropping, it is scary sharp.

P5091551.JPG

gssixgun, lottenhem, Lou61 and 6 others like this.
  18. TestDepth

Took the recent modified & rescaled Geo. Rodgers to the hones...
    Suehiro 1k & Naniwa 4k Hayabusa for the bevel set and refinement - and it went down swinging... wonky razor :)
    Then put it away for the night and came back with this really pretty natural combo Coticule... multiple rounds of slurry, then played under some running water, and finally some cycles of 2-3 laps, rinse & repeat.
    3D37DCA6-C26A-457C-A064-5EFE1E9AB1EE.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

The new Tanifuji was up this afternoon, the edge looked excellent so I chose a Shapton Glass 3k HR and a Shapton Glass 8k HC for the bevel work with one layer of 1 mil Kapton. The bevel set almost instantly and I was getting silent HHT after the 8k and about 20 passes on the Kanoyama. The finisher is a huge Nakayama sunashi suita, just for hoots and giggles. Suita are not usually the best choice for razor finishing, but the sunashi (a suita without su, or holes) layer can be an exception. According to Takeshi. this layer is not always present and sits above the normal lower suita layers. They many times do not look like suita and can be exceptionally hard, fine, and fast as this one is. Anyway if it isn’t the best edge I have a darned good start on it!

D058ECE4-D039-424A-A4AE-B37395B6FBC1.jpeg

20. TestDepth

Big smile on the stones today...
    R. Saito SK1
    Naniwa 4 & 8k to set and refine the bevel. Light colored hones help me with this one, tracking the swarf. And since my eyes could use some help, the magnifying glasses really work nicely to watch the undercut.

Finished with the pictured Okudo, with a round of Mejiro, followed by the Nakayama.
    50EECAEB-5272-4BCF-B417-F46578A9395D.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom

lottenhem, gssixgun, Steve56 and 2 others like this.